Gibson Brands Forums

Help me find this thumb pick

modoc_333

Ok, let's get some things straight first. I can't play with a thumb pick. I am terrible. I grew up playing hard rock on a Les Paul with a flat pick. I learned to play with fingers, but never a thumb pick. Now I am trying. I have lots of issues with them (too thin, too small, catching the string on the loop over my thumb) but I do have ONE pick that I can work with. The problem? It's very old. It says "Japan" on it. Based on this, the material and the feel I would say it is from the 60s or 70s. it is very thick, and I like the way it loops over my thumb. I like the size of the flat part. The only problem is that I don't know how to find more of them. I won't need many, but i would like some back-ups. If i knew how to search for it, maybe I could buy some. I am hoping i get lucky and somewhere here recognizes it. Maybe you have some you don't need. Anyway, here are some pictures. Any help?

P2.jpg

P1.jpg

P3.jpg

Man, that looks pretty cool...!

How did you glue them together?

Looks like you´ve melted them somehow?

I certainly understand the effort, accomplishment, and satisfaction of "do-it-yourself", but I just wanted to let the rest of you know that the standard size/shape pick thumbpick is commercially available off-the-shelf:

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=herco+thumb+pick&tag=mh0b-20&index=aps&hvadid=859588199&ref=pd_sl_1kyvysbcoj_e

I certainly understand the effort, accomplishment, and satisfaction of "do-it-yourself", but I just wanted to let the rest of you know that the standard size/shape pick thumbpick is commercially available off-the-shelf:

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=herco+thumb+pick&tag=mh0b-20&index=aps&hvadid=859588199&ref=pd_sl_1kyvysbcoj_e

yes but these have a totally different feel

Larry, I use to use these but the loop around the thumb is not tight enough, if you ever upstroke, it will come off, and they are not thick enough

also, the tone from the picks I use is much more pleasing to my ear

Looks like your standard Dunoop thumb pick molded in 'clown barf'. But, It probably isn't a Dunlop. Given that it was likely minted in the 60/70's the maker may be out of business.

If you don't get any hits here, search for a steel guitar forum. Those guys all use them, all the time and may be a better source.

I, from time to time, use a thumb pick. I take a standard Dunlop as a starting point. For me it's raw material. I cut the paddle down to a size that feels right, then using a combination of cheap diamond file, wet-sand paper and a taught denim pant leg, I round over then burnish the edge to a fine luster.

I cut it to raw shape using a toe nail clipper.

Given that it was likely minted in the 60/70's the maker may be out of business.

yeah, i figured they were out of production. I am hoping someone knows who made them so i can search for them... or maybe someone has a couple that they don't need. funny enough, i found one at work today that came in with a traded in guitar.... but it has been ground down so far that it's just a ring. no pick left!

I have a tin full of recommended thumb and finger picks, and guess what? I actually like the cheapest! Dunlop mediums!

I have trained myself to like them because even the lousy guitar shop that has one guitar and 2 harmonicas has Dunlop Thumb and Fingerpicks! Just need to start playing with it and KEEP going....you just need to get use to whichever one you like.

Of course you may find the pick above that you like......

BluesKing777.

I have a tin full of recommended thumb and finger picks, and guess what? I actually like the cheapest! Dunlop mediums!

I have trained myself to like them because even the lousy guitar shop that has one guitar and 2 harmonicas has Dunlop Thumb and Fingerpicks! Just need to start playing with it and KEEP going....you just need to get use to whichever one you like.

Of course you may find the pick above that you like......

BluesKing777.

I agree... unfortunately I have been using this one and now I'm scared! lol. I play the best with it, and that's a problem. I wish those others worked. They are everywhere!

I shape my own thumbpicks, and they come out real close to what you have in the pic.

I don't really use one either, I use my fingers, but I don't really "fingerpick" in the traditional sense. Anyway, the idea with the thumbpick is to be able to still use my fingers, but have a pick to use as well.

So really, I most often use a thumbpick by holding it like a regular pick, or at least hitting the strings more like a traditional pick than used like a traditional thumbpick.

So...what I do is I buy a bunch of them, and even in the same drawer of the same picks, they all seem to fit my thumb differently. So the ones that feel the best, I then sand/shape them to a shape I like (and usually end up looking like the one you show).

I think it is harder finding the 'perfect' thumbpick, because either the materiel is just the right thickness and feel around the thumb, or it is just the right thing for the "pick" part...I like some of the metal ones riveted to plastic too.

I knew it was a long shot but I was really hoping someone would recognize it! LOL

Since I have 2 (though one is unusable) that i got from 2 different places (both by chance) it led me to believe they were pretty popular at one time. I wish that were true.

I knew it was a long shot but I was really hoping someone would recognize it! LOL

Since I have 2 (though one is unusable) that i got from 2 different places (both by chance) it led me to believe they were pretty popular at one time. I wish that were true.

I had a few like that years ago... they are definitely 'old', and probably not made anymore.

I use the Herco medium and found it worked the best for me - because I wanted a flatpick that would hang on to my thumb, like you said. I've got another "Zookies" which is a close second. Both from a Mom & Pop music store.

Archived