Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Les Paul Standard 2008 (Make year:2011) Twisting neck problem

Arda71

Hi everybody,

I have a Gibson Les Paul Standard 2008 with a serious twisting neck problem. I bought the guitar new back last December from the official distribution in Poland and have 24 months guarantee. I have returned the guitar back to the distributor asking for exchange but they've rejected my claim saying guitar is in perfect condition and this, eventhough I have two different expertise reports from two different very reputable luthiers. According to them, this guitar can be repaired but at a very high cost and without any guarantee that the neck wont twist any further, because of the fact that the guitar is new and the wood will keep on working it's way. I have contacted Gibson Europe but they said they have no jurisdiction over Poland and I have to deal with the Polish distributor only. So I contacted Gibson USA and they've sent me back to Gibson Europe. I don't know what to do any further, any advise is welcome!

Many thanks in advance.

Arda71

A twisted or twisting neck is an unplayable guitar for the most part, and if playable, not at all intonate-able. I do not understand the vast gulf of opinion between your Luthers and The Company. The guitar is either a problem to play and keep in tune all over the neck and there is dispute as to why it is a problem to play, or it is perfectly playable and intonate-able and has no problems.

Which is it?

rct

Dear Rct,

Many thanks for your reply. The guitar is in fact unplayable as it wont stay in tune for more than 5 minutes. As for intonation, my luthier could't set it up, the 12th fret wont show EAGDBE on the tuner... Hope it's now clear!

Dear Rct,

Many thanks for your reply. The guitar is in fact unplayable as it wont stay in tune for more than 5 minutes.

I can play any guitar and have it not stay in tune for more than 5 minutes, and none of their necks are twisted. Not staying in tune means all kindsa things, and may not even be bad.

As for intonation, my luthier could't set it up, the 12th fret wont show EAGDBE on the tuner... Hope it's now clear!

It isn't clear at all. What does that mean, won't show EAGDBE(sic) on the tuner? If it can't get to proper intonation, that is, no string will be able to be both open EADGBE and fretted at 12 EADGBE, you have a problem that may not be twisting at all, may be a poorly placed bridge or a REALLY bad nut placement.

Sorry bro, twisted necks are very specific, and neither of these things is at all clearly a twisted neck, not to me.

rct

I would be interested to see pictures of the twist or warp in the neck.

Regarding intonation - If the problem is the saddles don't have enough travel to be on standard tuning/intonation, you might try a bridge that gives you more adjustment room, see below.

Pigtail_Aluminum_Wraparound_Bridge_sm.jpg. Schaller_Bridge_Tailpiece_sm.jpg

BTW, some guitars have necks with a built in twist and play perfectly - http://littleguitarworks.com/instruments/torzal-natural-twist-guitar-twisty-sixy/

TorzalGuitarTwistL.jpg

I agree with the consensus, the neck doesn't seem twisted. A twisted neck would cause all sorts of fret-outs and buzzing all over the fretboard if that was the case. Something else is wrong, but I doubt it's the neck.

Buy a cheap 18-inch stainless steel ruler and set it on the fretboard, check both sides to see of it is twisted,

Of course keeping in mind a possible high fret and the neck relief,

By the way have you looked if the truss rod nut is actually tightened?

I just bought a used guitar, the neck had too much bow, when I was going to give the truss rod and adjustment I realized the nut was loose, the truss rod was simply not tightened, I gave it 1/4 turn one day and another 1/4 turn the next day and that took care of it.

A loose truss rod will probably prevent the guitar from staying in tune.

Place a capo at the first fret. Then use one free hand to fret the high E string at the fret at the neck/body joint. Measure the relief with a feeler gauge at the 8 or 9th fret. Then do the same with the low E string. If the relief measures the same (or very close) then the neck is most likely NOT twisted. Also, does the neck look twisted when you "eyeball" it? Keep in mind that many guitars will have a little more relief on the bass side due to the higher tension of those strings, and this actually helps the guitar play with less buzzing due to these strings need more relief. Now, the "2008" standards have the asymmetrical neck shape. I steered clear of that model (bought a traditional plus instead) for this very reason. I feel the asymmetrical neck, having more wood on one side than the other, would likely make the neck more prone to twisting....Anyway, the symptoms of a twisted neck will have very little to do with tuning stability or intonation (unless really severe!) . A twisted neck usually displays symptoms such as heavy fret buzz or dead spots that cannot be adjusted out with string height or truss rod adjustments. The guitar not staying in tune is a nut problem or possibly a tuner problem. Intonation is a setup problem, either a really bad nut, improper (too much) relief and/or string height, misplaced bridge, or simply the bridge saddles need proper adjustment.

Take them to court?

Work with the local dealer and distribution people.

Have you credit card dispute the charge.

I want pictures, proof,

Where are the “Expert Luthier’s” letters?

Please post them –

So the Internet can see how Gibson deals with product issues -

passing the buck?

I have never had a twisting neck guitar.

What exactly does your guarantee say in writing?

These guys know their guitars!

I agree, what does tuning problems or intonation have to do with a twisted neck?

Try new strings and tie the strings to the posts, just saying, ya know.

The best way to tell if the neck is twisted is to look at it. We can really help you if you post some pictures looking down the neck. If you can't post pictures, then we really can't tell you whether there is a significant problem.

[thumbup]

Archived