Gibson Brands Forums

Mini-Humbuckers??

Pukeblud

I'm big into project guitars and swapping out pickups, and some of the mini-humbucker loaded guitars are catching my eye. How does the sound compare to regular sized pups? Also, which minihumbuckers sound best? I was suprised by how cheap people were selling the gretch ones for on Ebay, I figure theres gotta be a catch. But most of the vintage gibson ones are out of my range. Any info/suggestions would be awesome. Thanks In advance!!

I have a Mini Bucker on my '95 Nighthawk. It doesn't sound all that different than a regular Humbucker to my ear. It has a nice thick tone gets a really nice, creamy "Woman" tone when I back off the tone.

I think yours is the newer kind with the ceramic magnets, which sound a lot like Humbuckers.

The old Firebird pups and the minis in the LP Deluxe and stuff sound very Strat-like.

I think yours is the newer kind with the ceramic magnets, which sound a lot like Humbuckers.

The old Firebird pups and the minis in the LP Deluxe and stuff sound very Strat-like.

No kidding? That explains why it doesn't sound at all like a Firebird. I was expecting a "Strat-Like" sound when I first tried it, but was pleasantly surprised by it's girth. Since I had a Strat I didn't need a "Strat-like" sound. [thumbup]

Hey kaleb do you know what kind of magnets the Gretsch mini humbuckers have?

They sound kind of single coil-ish to me.

Archived