Gibson Brands Forums

I would be good in a Hendrix film

FenderGuy1

For starters, Jimi's dad forced jimi to learn right handed, but Jimi wanted to learn Left Handed while his dad was looking away, so thats where jimi got the ambidextrous idea

of...?

So it's a documentary about how Hendrix was so tripped out even he couldn't play right? GOT YAS!

You can't play the part, no one can.

That's about as absurd as me being in a EVH film....

AND YOU'RE A WHITE AUSSIE!

This attitude won't get you anywhere. For one thing, you have to play like YOU, not Hendrix.

I can relate, as for the last four months I literally overdosed on Ace Frehley.....

All this time, with the non-stop plugging of Ace and constant speaking of KISS, it makes me sick now.

I mean, I'm still a big KISS and Ace fan but I know there are better bands out there, and many that I haven't discovered yet. Not that they're bad, but they don't make my jaw drop, like the first time I heard Mr. Scary.....

I just enjoy their music, but I know I can play and write more sophisticated and livelier music then they did, and be a more advanced and proficient player (I don't think "better" is the word to use. As I will never be better than Ace, and he will never be better than me. He's got a style, I got a style. No room for comparing) than Ace. I like Bruce Kulick too, and wheres Ace is just a pure rocker (which he does better than a lot of people IMHO), Bruce is almost into Lynch territory. He's a stud! But he ain't Ace or anyone else. He's Bruce!

No wonder I've been feelin' weird these last few months.

And I think you're almost like that with Jimi. I mean, yes, he IS the GOD for me (even though he's not in my Top 5 of players that inspired me the most, which is Alex Lifeson, EVH, Michael Schenker, Ace, and Michael Bloomfield), but being like Jimi ain't gonna cut it. You could know all of his tunes (which is actually an awesome thing as it expands your knowledge. It's good to know lots of riffs and songs), do all of his moves, and have the same kind of gear (upside down Olympic White Strat, Marshall Plexi or JTM-45/100 with two cabs, Fuzz Face, Octavia, Uni-Vibe, Clyde McCoy wah, etc. AND A COILY CABLE!), but in the end you'll just be labeled a wannabe.

I take back the Ace/KISS super-worship stuff,but I don't take back learning a lot of their tunes, as it expanded my encyclopedia. I don't take back being exposed to Eric Carr, Bruce, and a lot of the musicians Ace has played with over the years, namely Anton Fig, Tod Howarth and John Reagen (Frehley's Comet), Richie Scarlet (Ace's solo band from 1989-1995, and part of the first incarnation of the Comet, which was when they first got together), and his band now (two of em', bassist//vocalist Anthony Espositio, and drummer/vocalist Scot Coogan, aka "Coogiemonster", have ties with Lynch Mob, so to speak! Which is cool, as George is also a favorite of mine!).

But I don't take anything back about being a big Rush geek! That expanded my mind by a TON!

I finally admitted it! Thanks for giving me the rock n' roll intervention.....

Fenderguy you'd be just GREAT in a Hendrix film...but...er...well...

You might want to warm up first by playing another tragic figure, you know - Othello or Hamlet maybe?

Have to tell you that I am already in a Hendrix film...I was at the Isle of Wight.

That's me, 5-6000 people back and right a bit.

Ah youth. You're actually a pretty good player but I think you need to be a little bit more humble. I heard you play but honestly you are no way near my music abilities when I was your age. I played piano since I was 7 and I won more music awards by the time I was 13 than I can count. How many do you have? Hendrix movie? Maybe, but you will have no backup players because no one will want to play with you. I started on guitar when I was 13 and that was the first thing my teacher told me. I changed my attitude and suddenly I started getting calls to play in bands all over this country.

Just my two cents.

Ah youth. You're actually a pretty good player but I think you need to be a little bit more humble. I heard you play but honestly you are no way near my music abilities when I was your age. I played piano since I was 7 and I won more music awards by the time I was 13 than I can count. How many do you have? Hendrix movie? Maybe, but you will have no backup players because no one will want to play with you. I started on guitar when I was 13 and that was the first thing my teacher told me. I changed my attitude and suddenly I started getting calls to play in bands all over this country.

Just my two cents.

Good point, but I would have stated it differently.

FenderGuy1, be humble. Don't exaggerate yourself. Take other people's advice.

You'll never get anywhere with your attitude.

Either change your ways or end up being a bedroom wanker.

You're not Hendrix, so don't try to be.

You don't need to be left handed.

And learn the art of improvisation!

Make Voodoo Chile your own song, like SRV did!

Just don't play it like SRV.....

And your dreams where your heroes play with you are annoying to hear about.

It's like undirect gloating, so to speak.

Had to get that off my chest. Sorry if that hurts, but TOO BAD!!!! My criticisms should do you some good.

Now, go practice the basic pentatonic scale.

Good point, but I would have stated it differently.

FenderGuy1, be humble. Don't exaggerate yourself. Take other people's advice.

You'll never get anywhere with your attitude.

Either change your ways or end up being a bedroom wanker.

You're not Hendrix, so don't try to be.

You don't need to be left handed.

And learn the art of improvisation!

Make Voodoo Chile your own song, like SRV did!

Just don't play it like SRV.....

And your dreams where your heroes play with you are annoying to hear about.

It's like undirect gloating, so to speak.

Had to get that off my chest. Sorry if that hurts, but TOO BAD!!!! My criticisms should do you some good.

Now, go practice the basic pentatonic scale.

Listen Kaleb,

There is no one better than KISS!!! KISS is the most awesome band that there ever was!!! Never loose

faith in the 4 that were before, and the 4 that are with us now !!! Paul & Gene have never let

me down, they have alway's been here for you and for me!

So it's a documentary about how Hendrix was so tripped out even he couldn't play right? GOT YAS!

You can't play the part, no one can.

That's about as absurd as me being in a EVH film....

AND YOU'RE A WHITE AUSSIE!

This attitude won't get you anywhere. For one thing, you have to play like YOU, not Hendrix.

I can relate, as for the last four months I literally overdosed on Ace Frehley.....

All this time, with the non-stop plugging of Ace and constant speaking of KISS, it makes me sick now.

I mean, I'm still a big KISS and Ace fan but I know there are better bands out there, and many that I haven't discovered yet. Not that they're bad, but they don't make my jaw drop, like the first time I heard Mr. Scary.....

I just enjoy their music, but I know I can play and write more sophisticated and livelier music then they did, and be a more advanced and proficient player (I don't think "better" is the word to use. As I will never be better than Ace, and he will never be better than me. He's got a style, I got a style. No room for comparing) than Ace. I like Bruce Kulick too, and wheres Ace is just a pure rocker (which he does better than a lot of people IMHO), Bruce is almost into Lynch territory. He's a stud! But he ain't Ace or anyone else. He's Bruce!

No wonder I've been feelin' weird these last few months.

And I think you're almost like that with Jimi. I mean, yes, he IS the GOD for me (even though he's not in my Top 5 of players that inspired me the most, which is Alex Lifeson, EVH, Michael Schenker, Ace, and Michael Bloomfield), but being like Jimi ain't gonna cut it. You could know all of his tunes (which is actually an awesome thing as it expands your knowledge. It's good to know lots of riffs and songs), do all of his moves, and have the same kind of gear (upside down Olympic White Strat, Marshall Plexi or JTM-45/100 with two cabs, Fuzz Face, Octavia, Uni-Vibe, Clyde McCoy wah, etc. AND A COILY CABLE!), but in the end you'll just be labeled a wannabe.

I take back the Ace/KISS super-worship stuff,but I don't take back learning a lot of their tunes, as it expanded my encyclopedia. I don't take back being exposed to Eric Carr, Bruce, and a lot of the musicians Ace has played with over the years, namely Anton Fig, Tod Howarth and John Reagen (Frehley's Comet), Richie Scarlet (Ace's solo band from 1989-1995, and part of the first incarnation of the Comet, which was when they first got together), and his band now (two of em', bassist//vocalist Anthony Espositio, and drummer/vocalist Scot Coogan, aka "Coogiemonster", have ties with Lynch Mob, so to speak! Which is cool, as George is also a favorite of mine!).

But I don't take anything back about being a big Rush geek! That expanded my mind by a TON!

I finally admitted it! Thanks for giving me the rock n' roll intervention.....

Kaleb,

Don't listen to other people that tell you that KISS sucks! You know in your heart what great music is,

and you know that there is something more than just music coming from KISS. KISS is a lifeforce,

KISS is a way of life!!! After all these other bands that have come and gone, KISS is still here, nearly

40 years later!!! Never be ashammed to love what you love, and enjoy what you like. If KISS would

have listened to other people, they would not be here today. Kaleb, show your love for KISS!!!

SHOUT IT OUT LOUD!

The reason why I don't enjoy your playing as much is because you don't put enough of yourself into it. It's fine to be inspired, but your inspiration can only take you so far.

Archived