Gibson Brands Forums

Question on Gibson Les paul

Dan41

Today i saw a Gibson les paul alpine white (the one with ebony fingerboard) in Pawn shop for 899$ CND(canadien). but the problem i saw first all the fret begin to put out(need a fret job) and second all the electronic inside is **** up like the volume for the trebel is for the rythm and same for the other volume etc and same for the swicht. i think the price is to high for this and i forgot to say the neck was repair by gibson (broke headstock but the job was done by gibson and we saw nothing) what a price a can ask to the pawn shop to because i think is almot a 300$ job i need to do on this guitar

thanks for your answer

LP Standard or LP Studio?

Sounds like someone modded the wiring to their own person taste. No big worry there.

Needs a fret job - that's gonna cost you.

But a broken headstock usually devalues the guitar by 50% or more depending on the quality of the repair. So if that's a Studio, it's priced way too high. If it's a Standard, it would be in the ballpark if it didn't need a fret job. If you want it, you should negotiate the price down to maybe $600 or $700 using the needed fret job, repaired headstock and non-standard wiring as ammunition.

Let us know how it goes.

Way too much for a Studio with a broken headstock in need of a fret job.

Here's a used Alpine White Studio - $799(USD) at Guitar Center - http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-GIBSON-LES-PAUL-STUDIO-ALPINE-WHITE-WC-107179215-i2272578.gc

For that used Studio you're looking at with a repaired headstock - 50% off makes it $400(USD).

Non-standard wiring and a need fret job (about $300(USD) for a refret in the US), I would maybe offer $150(USD).

My advice take it or leave it. "never buy any guitar with a repaired broken neck". It is probably stronger after the repair, but in my opinion it will never have the tone of the original. The grain of the wood has been seperated (compromised), gluing it back will never connect the grain (think of nerves) together properly again. That is part of the guitars sound and tone.

My advice take it or leave it. "never buy any guitar with a repaired broken neck". It is probably stronger after the repair, but in my opinion it will never have the tone of the original. The grain of the wood has been seperated (compromised), gluing it back will never connect the grain (think of nerves) together properly again. That is part of the guitars sound and tone.

Interesting.

Do you avoid multi-piece bodies, multi-piece necks, and laminates?

And did it send a chill up your spine when Gibson started laminating electric/acoustic fretboards and acoustic bridges?

hey Dan, just seeing this thread now - a fret job is an easy 300/350 and you need to trust the person working it knows what their doing, otherwise never a guarantee it will be 100%. The wiring isn't really a big deal, 60 minutes with a schematic, soldering iron and some extra wiring cures that.

But IMO his asking price is just ridiculous (neck break+messed up wiring, for starters. and he wants almost 1k? Bah!)

And the other guess is he'll laugh at you if you offer him what it's really worth, 25 bucks says has no clue what he's got there. Lots of people see "Gibson Les Paul" on the headstock and thinks it's time to cash in. really man, if it was me, I would walk way from it. There are quite likely many more to choose from in your surroundings.

Complete nonsense.

thanks for all answer i just took pic and give to my tech guy and he said forget it the neck need a new ebony board and he told me the guitar is just a piece of crasp

and thanks again for all the reply

I've talked to more people than I can count about repairs. All have stated that the glued area will be stronger than before but there could be residual effects. For example, because the wood outside of the repaired area is unchanged, breaks on either side of it may also occur. A good luthier will always be able to know what's going on though and can fix mostly anything.

I've talked to more people than I can count about repairs. All have stated that the glued area will be stronger than before but there could be residual effects. For example, because the wood outside of the repaired area is unchanged, breaks on either side of it may also occur. A good luthier will always be able to know what's going on though and can fix mostly anything.

i understand that but this one the pawn shop have this guitar over years and the neck need a new ebony board

i can pass a string between the fret and the ebony have some curve inside like scallop on some fender

this guitar is just good for the body only and the electronic

Archived