Gibson Brands Forums

Serial Number help

brad383music

Hi There,

Virgin post and what better place to be!

I really need some information about a serial number. I own a 1993 '67 re-issue flying V. I sent it out for a custom paint job with express instructions to keep the original "Made In USA" and keep the serial number in tact. I wrote the serial number down but my wife threw the paper out is was written on. So anyway my guitar gets back from the paintshop.

Brilliant paintwork.....Check

Made in USA still on headstock.....Check

Serial number in tact.......FAIL!

They have all but removed the serial number and it isnt visible apart from some impressions of where it used to be.

Basically Im asking if there is anywhere else on the guitar that can identify its serial number. Apart from the paint job everything else is as it came from the factory. Please help.

Brad

you can not see nothing nothing, because if you can see just a little bit but hard to read, just take a piece of paper put on the serial was and scrub with a pencil and you will be able to recover you serial number. i did that on a guitar a i saw on a pawn shop to see if it was real or not

you can not see nothing nothing, because if you can see just a little bit but hard to read, just take a piece of paper put on the serial was and scrub with a pencil and you will be able to recover you serial number. i did that on a guitar a i saw on a pawn shop to see if it was real or not

Great suggestion! Why didnt I think of that! I will try, but Im not hopeful. I really am praying they just filled the impression up with paint and clear. Thanks very much for your help

• 2 weeks later...

The pencil trick is a neat idea, but it doesn't work all the time. The character who owned my Explorer had it refinished it back around 1992. By refinished, I mean the so-called "luthier" left the nitro on and shot full coat of poly over it, resulting in 3/16" worth of thickness. The 0s and the 7 was clearly distinguishable, but the 1s made you wonder if one was actually a 7. Worst of all were the 3s and 8s, both of which appeared on the back and were indecipherable... that is until this week when I finally stripped the finish. Hopefully it will work in your case.

Archived