Gibson Brands Forums

How many have gone in looking for one, and buying another???

onewilyfool

I've gone in as a wing man for two friends who were looking for a particular guitar....and they walked out the door with another (and I was NOT a meddler, just an extra ear and someone to play the guitars back to my friends) In both cases these guys bought the guitar which sounded better to THEM as a player, and not the listener....

I fancied a hummingbird, drifted off on a 12-fretter phase, ended up with a Martin 0-28VS and a Gibson Keb Mo.

I still had a hankering for a hummingbird... I ended up with a SJ-200TV

I went determined to buy a hummingbird.... I bought a Gibson J-50.

I guess I should stop trying to buy a hummingbird......

Parlourman, thats how I ended up with the Jackson Browne ! Went to shop for a good Hummingbird. Wonder what that malady is called. Wishy washy ? Distraction ? Fear of Hummingbirds ? Humphobia ? No, that ain't right...

I can't remember a time when it DIDN'T happen that I bought something other than what I was looking for.

One time I bought a Strat I didn't need simply because Bob asked "But do you have a black one?".... "Well, no, I don't".

I can't remember a time when it DIDN'T happen that I bought something other than what I was looking for.

+1. 11 times out of 10 I do the same thing. A few months back I went to the GC in town for a music stand, and left with a 70's Guild D-25!!

Never. But I also have never gone out hunting for a specific guitar. Pretty much I acquired most of my guitars when I was not out looking for any guitar.

But yeah, I would like a Hummingbird. But me being me I am holding out for a 1963 or 1964 guitar (the best necks you are going to get on a 1960s guitar).

Happened only once. First trip to Thomann. Was looking at a CJ-165 or J-185 cut away as a gigging guitar. Finished up getting the SWD .... funnily enough, now Im about to sell it..

Humophobia .... thats a bit sexist, aint it .. ? [biggrin]

I'm slightly concerned that everybody here really owns 15 J45s/50s/SJs, but is afraid to admit it. Everybody lists what they went out to buy, but in reality they have a closet full of slopes. They do sound that good, don't they? But if you've got one which sounds good to you, then you don't need another. Well, just one other, for alternate tunings. And one in a different finish. Oh damn it, keep all 15 if you can.

Hummophobia is not a form of sexism. It's just an aversion to squares.

Archived