Gibson Brands Forums

locking strap buttons

blindboygrunt

any you guys know of a reason not to use locking strap buttons ? seems to me it would be silly not to for the sake of a couple of bucks/pound . i know if you're eddie van halen you need one so you can swing your axe around but acoustic i was thinking its probably not necessaey but t least you get total peace of mind. but just thought i'd ask .

If you're talking about locking strap buttons like Grover Quick-release, Dunlop Straploks or Schaller Strap Locks, then I'd say "no." Locks like those are overkill on an acoustic. They're made for heavier electrics. And they have too much metal in them for my tastes because the more metal you put your guitar in the vicinity of, the more chances you have of scratching something. An acoustic doesn't weigh that much....

Just make sure the holes in your strap aren't worn. If it is an endpin-jack issue, get yourself something like the Strap-Keeper: http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/SK1.htm Or a Strap-Jack: http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/SJ1-BLACK.htm

thats the sort of answer i was thinking about , cheers dhanner:-)

unless i'm playing behind my head i dont need one then . cool

I respectfully and totally disagree! Was jamming in a garage with buddies and was in between songs and reached out to turn page on the music stand and my strap came off of endpin! Luckily my reflexes of a jungle cat kicked in and I caught my guitar with my fingrtips slamming it up against my knees before it crashed to the floor! Next day bought strap locks and have been spinning my guitar around my neck ever since. Chiropractor bills have been skyrocketing lately though.

I respectfully and totally disagree! Was jamming in a garage with buddies and was in between songs and reached out to turn page on the music stand and my strap came off of endpin! Luckily my reflexes of a jungle cat kicked in and I caught my guitar with my fingrtips slamming it up against my knees before it crashed to the floor! Next day bought strap locks and have been spinning my guitar around my neck ever since. Chiropractor bills have been skyrocketing lately though.

lol , you win funniest reply

ok , thats cool too , back to square one :-)

I use the red rubber thingy from Grolsch beer bottles.

Works very well as strap locks, and no doubt the best tasting ones. B)

Jan

I'd like to see how you did that Hallingamp.

For me I use straps with natural leather tabs on the ends. Then cut a slit in the edge of the knob hole to make it slip on with a bit of effort. If I get it too loose, I just shorten up the slit with a couple stitches with needle and thread. That and I seldom remove my guitar straps. They fit in their cases just the same. Just make sure you use straps made of material that is guitar finish friendly. (no vinyl or latex graphics, or metal parts).

I'd like to see how you did that Hallingamp.

For me I use straps with natural leather tabs on the ends. Then cut a slit in the edge of the knob hole to make it slip on with a bit of effort. If I get it too loose, I just shorten up the slit with a couple stitches with needle and thread. That and I seldom remove my guitar straps. They fit in their cases just the same. Just make sure you use straps made of material that is guitar finish friendly. (no vinyl or latex graphics, or metal parts).

or studs :)

I use the red rubber thingy from Grolsch beer bottles.

Works very well as strap locks, and no doubt the best tasting ones. B)

Jan

+1

i use these rubber seals from grolsch bottles also/// they are perfect fit for strap buttons..and keep the strap from sliding off nicely..and you get to drink the beer before hand

loads of folk use em [thumbup]

Archived