Gibson Brands Forums

I think I need to get a Hummingbird TV

EuroAussie

I visited the locat git shop today and played a few of the Gibbys.

The Sick Bird was still there, with the dead low strings, however I wanted to get a good feel for the neck and overall 'potential' of the Bird.

Have to say this model is really for me, Im in love with the short scale and the 1.725 nut width. Plus, even though this particular specimen was under par I can hear the fundamental tone of the Bird and I really like what I hear. Just love the sweetness. Ive recently been getting into much more lead work and going through a few runs I loved the tone and feel in this style on the Bird. I found it even more comfy then on the Aaron SJ.

My CW/ Bird hybrid records extremely well and is a gret strummer but I find playing lead really ticky on the long scale, pencil thin low profile 1 11/16 neck. The tone is definitely much brighter also, not worse but different. Much woodier, brighter and dryer than a Bird'.

So with that Im thinking about offloading the SWD. Fact is that after two years Ive not really bonded with this guitar. I think Im not really a rosewood guy. I appreciate, sometime love the tone, but I can only play this guitar for about 20 mins max before the rosewood overtones give the shites. Plus I dont really like the chunky neck and its really darn heavy.

It might sound odd, but I really do not want to have too many guitars in the stable. I really would love to have several which I really dig and bond with, so Im thinking maybe the Songwriter should go. Have to say the thought of having the classic three - Super Jumbo, Slope Shoulder and Square shoulder Gibsons feels awfully right. (coupled with the Martin 00 and Furch OM as a changeup)

What do you think, get the Bird and pack the Songwriter, or just keep growing the stable and make use of the three remaining hangers in the music room ... ?

IMG_4068.jpg

I heard dat! I played rosewood guitars for years and didn't give it much thought, but having landed some prime mahogany models I'm hooked on the 'hog. And the Hummingbird is unique in tone in the Gibson line. I played all three of mine last night and the H'Bird is remarkable......it's the chosen one for this Sunday's coffee song! Once your ear goes sour on rosewood it's pretty much over. Dump the Songwriter rather than just let it hang around being ignored.......someone else will certainly enjoy it!

What do you think, get the Bird and pack the Songwriter, or just keep growing the stable and make use of the three remaining hangers in the music room ... ?

Buyers market, EA.. The only answer there is to check a likely price for it, suss out how much you've lost, how much the 'bird TV is going to cost on top and decide if you can live with that. The benefit of a J-45 or a Bird or even a 200 is that they're probably the most iconic of the range and as such the easiest to sell. Perhaps less so for modern Gibson designs such as the songwriter, but I'm sure there's someone trawling ebay, forum classifieds looking for just such a thing, you never know.....

It might sound odd, but I really do not want to have too many guitars in the stable.

I couldn't agree more, I'd love to have less guitars, 2 or 3 that I really play a lot. What I tend to play at home and what I use for gigs though can be different, I like the 12-fretters at home, I need 14's for gigs. With that in mind my aim is to get down to 7 as the magic number. 5 acoustics, 2 electrics. Even though I haven't played the electrics in a long time, they're great and I'm reluctant to off-load them 'just in case' ;)

....Just love the sweetness. Ive recently been getting into much more lead work and going through a few runs I loved the tone and feel in this style on the Bird. I found it even more comfy then on the Aaron SJ.

This sounds like major GAS brewing.

...rosewood overtones give the shites.

yep, you're a mahogany man! ;)

Have to say the thought of having the classic three - Super Jumbo, Slope Shoulder and Square shoulder Gibsons feels awfully right.

That's why I keep lusting a bird too! it would give me the 4 classics, small 00, slope, square, super jumbo... perfect!

Oh, I give up. We know from the video that she's called Blanka. So either you're married to a Blanka Czech or you're not. If you are, then hold on to the Songwriter and buy the Hummingbird that you've been promising yourself for so long. If you're not, then sell the Writer and buy the Bird. But whatever you do, buy the Bird!

Also, it seems the MC and TV have different neck profiles, I wonder if this will be an issue as I love the neck profile of the MC I played today.

TV seems to have 'traditional round' profile while the MC has a 'modified V' .... ?

Born and bred Mojo ... now where ya' headin' with this ? :-)

btw: PM, we really need to make that road trip to Thomann soon me thinks ...Mojo, want to join us ? :-) [biggrin]

Hit the punchline already! Been saving that joke up for ages and now seemed the time. Now we know how you get all those Gibsons (or at least the LP).

All that to say tough decision. The writer could become the one you regret 10 years down the line, but I figure that if you go all rosewood in future you could easily find another good one and make your choice in a more informed way. Clearly now you are in a good position to make an informed decision about the ideal Bird, and it's really a matter of finances. If you have a blank cheque, keep the rosewood and buy the hog. If you don't have a blank cheque, sell the Writer and buy the Bird. If money is no object and you really are worried about worrying about space in the music room, you may as well toss a coin or treat the way a bad pun works out as a sign. But as I said, whether you sell the Writer or not, you've clearly been itching for the Bird, so the time to buy is now. Or nowish. Like, when you find the right one. In which case the time to start looking is now. In any case, yes a trip to Thomann is on the cards. Would love to come along, and am headed in a compatible decision in a few weeks, but with a car full of family which might be a serious insurance risk were we to make the detour to the warehouse, a move which might displease my favourite mando-player too. We'll see.

Did you win that account, by the way?

Would be awesome to have us three meet up at the crossroads ! :-)

The account .... 4 month pitch process went from 8 to 4 then to last two, a couple final rounds .... and then we lost, bugger.

But there might be someting bigger brewing and if it comes through the HB TV definitely WILL BE the bonus !

Hit the punchline already! Been saving that joke up for ages and now seemed the time. Now we know how you get all those Gibsons (or at least the LP).

All that to say tough decision. The writer could become the one you regret 10 years down the line, but I figure that if you go all rosewood in future you could easily find another good one and make your choice in a more informed way. Clearly now you are in a good position to make an informed decision about the ideal Bird, and it's really a matter of finances. If you have a blank cheque, keep the rosewood and buy the hog. If you don't have a blank cheque, sell the Writer and buy the Bird. If money is no object and you really are worried about worrying about space in the music room, you may as well toss a coin or treat the way a bad pun works out as a sign. But as I said, whether you sell the Writer or not, you've clearly been itching for the Bird, so the time to buy is now. Or nowish. Like, when you find the right one. In which case the time to start looking is now. In any case, yes a trip to Thomann is on the cards. Would love to come along, and am headed in a compatible decision in a few weeks, but with a car full of family which might be a serious insurance risk were we to make the detour to the warehouse, a move which might displease my favourite mando-player too. We'll see.

Did you win that account, by the way?

Also, it seems the MC and TV have different neck profiles, I wonder if this will be an issue as I love the neck profile of the MC I played today.

TV seems to have 'traditional round' profile while the MC has a 'modified V' .... ?

Couldn't say I noticed that, but I did play a good few the day I got the J-50 and was mesmerised by the guitar so it could have slipped my mind, I definitely do prefer the modified V over a 'traditional round' profile though. Curiouser and curiouser.....

It's a bit of a stupid issue, but the thing that puts me off the MC is the pickguard being sealed and the design coated, I like the idea that the painted/engraved one would age, fade and even disappear. While I can understand their thinking on it for preserving the design, I would prefer it to be like those on the TV. However the modified V may tip the scales back a little.

btw: PM, we really need to make that road trip to Thomann soon me thinks ...Mojo, want to join us ? :-) [biggrin]

I've no chance of a day off in the next 6-7 weeks, mate... assuming no further delays add to it.

I'm suffering from "spec confusion". My Hummingbird is a white-label Standard or Modern Classic.....? It has the low, round neck profile, it had a pickup in it when I bought it (gone now) and the pickguard is not coated in any way.....the engraving and paint are on the surface and already showing signs of wear. Also has a fully compensated nut in bone from the factory. I'm surmising that these are some of the changes in spec that lefthanded instruments sometimes appear with.....they are not built in the numbers that righthanded ones are and they get some things done differently from standard production. I dunno.......kinda strange......but the guitar is 110% right!

Note: My 2003 HB has the neck binding covering the end of the frets like a custom. My 2010 HB does not.

The 2003 HB has the orange label and a very nice cherry burst color. My 2010 HB has the white label and more of a gold / yellow burst. Both guitars are beautiful.

Both guitars are tone machines. The 2010 has the action a tad high, but really has some volume. The 2003 has the action very low and does not have the volume of the 2010. Each guitar has a very sweet sound.

One other difference, the 2003 has no on board pick up system, she is stock. The 2010 came with a factory installed pick up (Baggs?).

I would never consider selling either one, unless economic survival forced me to.

As you know, I feel you have been destined for a TV Bird for ages, , , , maybe even before they were manufactured – and to be honest, it can only be a matter of time. I could go further and say that it would be wrong if you denied yourself this choice, but I won't.

Let the SW go – You don't like rose and never bonded with the thing. The idea of getting down to the unbeatable and delicious 4 aces, is what I plan also. It's easier said than done, but if there one in the herd that doesn't really speak to you or join the choir, it's right to pass it on.

Talking flora'n'fauna pickguards, there's NO comparison between the engraved and the embedded. The first is 10 times cooler to be around. It's like owning a Dali vs a replica Dali, , , only this of course is the creation of the praised and honored Hartford Snyder.

...................................................................................................... ~ See you in Birdland ~

Youre such a bad influence ..... Em7 .... I feel the darkside creeping into my veins ...

On a mora rational topic ..,. how do you like the neck profile ?

As you know, I feel you have been destined for a TV Bird for ages, , , , maybe even before they were manufactured – and to be honest, it canonly be a matter of time. I could go further and say that it would be wrong if you denied yourself this choice, but I won't.

Let the SW go – You don't like rose and never bonded with the thing. The idea of getting down to the unbeatable and delicious 4 aces, is what I plan also. It's easier said than done, but if there one in the herd that doesn't really speak to you or join the choir, it's right to pass it on.

Talking flora'n'fauna pickguards, there's NO comparison between the engraved and the embedded. The first is 10 times cooler to be around. It's like owning a Dali vs a replica Dali, , , only this of course is the creation of the praised and honored Hartford Snyder.

...................................................................................................... ~ See you in Birdland ~

OK .... So I'm sitting in the pub with Mrs EA and told her the plan.

Selling the SWD and buying the HB TV, and she gave me the thumbs up!!

What a woman ... But she thinks you're all a bunch of mongrels.

I on the other hand love you all.

Right ... Finishing the dinner and putting the order in with Thomann !

EA

I feel the presence of Yoda, and he is saying 'When you nine hundred years old will be, so good will you not play.' Which I think means carpe diem in Ewok. Obi-Wan is saying 'He can buy the Hummingbird and go about his business.' These are signs, young Jedi. On the other hand, your Jedi mind tricks are no match for me.

On the subject of V profile necks, I don't know, as I've not so much as touched a Hummingbird. Saw one once in Norwich, but that's all. What I will say is that the Guthrie allegedly has some form of V profile, and it feels pretty round. Not much different from the neck on my Howard Roberts Fusion. Assuming the last versions of that were not radically different from my '91, then it has a rounded '59 LP profile. Feels pretty similar to the Woody's V.

Tell Mrs. EA that E-minor7 thinks she is a grand and generous woman – and that this Acoustic Monk (not mongrel) only want your best*.

On the rational note, I really love the almost electric-neck Bird-measures. Shimmed mine the day before yesterday and went back to 12's (boiled 12's) - How strong and good it sounds right now. It's one of the most pleasing set-up's I ever played

*Yeah it's funny, but I sincerely feel relief after your big decision. . . . It was written in the stars.

Prepare for a 'behind curtain' message.

. . . . . . . .

Actually it is a big relief I must admit, once I hit the submit button. Will be ordering unplayed hence hope it will be a cracker, but anyway, here's how this one looks, will post pics and samples once she arrives I think on Monday.

Good lord, how exciting, and quite surreal .... Im uttely useless when GAS really hits. But I also feel really good about offloading hte SWD, it feels ...right. Plus it will be a relief to subsidise such a whopping hit to the credit card ..

http://www.thomann.de/intl/gibson_hummingbird_tv_hcs.htm

You only live once ... right ?

ps: you dont suppose it will have a lamninate bridge and fingerboard ... or will it ??? [crying]

Tell Mrs. EA that E-minor7 thinks she is a grand and generous woman – and that this Acoustic Monk (not mongrel) only want your best*.

On the rational note, I really love the almost electric-neck Bird-measures. Shimmed mine the day before yesterday and went back to 12's (boiled 12's) - How strong and good it sounds right now. It's one of the most pleasing set-up's I ever played

*Yeah it's funny, but I sincerely feel relief after your big decision. . . . It was written in the stars.

Prepare for a 'behind curtain' message.

. . . . . . . .

EA, congratulations on the bird TV. If the pics on the link are of the one you're getting, it's beautiful and no laminate (if that was an issue). I'm in the process of selling my SWD. Nice guitar but short scale fits me much better. I still like rosewood...

Archived