Gibson Brands Forums

I have not bought a guitar yet this year!!!!

onewilyfool

Soft guitar market has led me to trade some of the wonderful guitars I had, that were not getting enough play time, for guitars that are getting a LOT of play time. In one case I got two guitars for one....so I have three new guitars, through the back door, as it were. How did you get yours???

Not really having a ton of expendable cash, obtaining a more expensive guitar usually involves a trade.

I have only acquired one guitar this year - that 1972 Guild 12 string. Because of the soft market and that fact that Guilds in general are undervalued, it was not very expensive so I paid cash for it.

I bought my 1959 Gibson LG3 and it is one of the best things I have ever done!

And thanks to ZW, Rambler and others for the advice to hold out for the late 50's neck - it is glorious to play - a nice handful of wood like a Les Paul or such.

BluesKing777.

After a long musical sabbatical I am having a musical rebirth. I have fed the new hunger

with a beauty J-45 Standard which I absolutely love and can't put down.

Have heard alot about the inconsistency of these but either it's not true or I got lucky cuz it was

the only J-45 in the store. To my ear it was the best sounding acoustic on the wall that I tried.

After a couple days of playing them all I always came back to this one.

And it smells awesome [love]

Money changed hands, but I essentially swapped out. Sold the two I had, bought 2. Came out ahead at the end of the day. All in April. Out, Martin 00018 and a 65 J50. In, a J45 and a Nat'l Delphi (plain steel coat, not the baked-on finish). The Delphi is a mind-blower. Handles everything I throw at it.

Money changed hands, but I essentially swapped out. Sold the two I had, bought 2. Came out ahead at the end of the day. All in April. Out, Martin 00018 and a 65 J50. In, a J45 and a Nat'l Delphi (plain steel coat, not the baked-on finish). The Delphi is a mind-blower. Handles everything I throw at it.

Rambler, I'm trying to do two out for one in.......just to temper the GAS

A good number of my purchases fall into the buying guitars on the cheap that need a bit of TLC category. It can be a roll of the dice but if you are careful you can end up with a heck of a guitar at a fire sale price.

And it looks like I may have one looming on the horizon. A couple of days back a friend of mine bought a Strat he found on his local Craig's List. Turns out the guy also had an early 1980s Guild dread 12 string. This is the same model that Tom Petty plays so you know it has to be a good rock & roll acoustic. It needs a neck reset but with its original case and at $125.00, what was a poor boy to do. Assuming there are no surprises I should be able to get this thing back on the road for alot less than what I would lay out for one without issues. Anyway my friend mailed the owner and asked if he would hold the guitar until Monday which would be the earliest he could get over there and pick it up. Not sure how it worked out so I guess I will just have to sit here twiddlin' my thumbs and waiting until then.

No new guitars here traded or otherwise. Last purchase was a beautiful Martin 000-28EC back in March of 2011 (which was 2 weeks before I found out I was losing my job.) Lost the job and kept the guitar. New job....even working nearly 60 hours a week doesn't allow for time nor money for anything guitar. Does make me appreciate the beautiful herd I have accumulated and yearn for the time to enjoy them more.

No new guitars here traded or otherwise. Last purchase was a beautiful Martin 000-28EC back in March of 2011 (which was 2 weeks before I found out I was losing my job.) Lost the job and kept the guitar. New job....even working nearly 60 hours a week doesn't allow for time nor money for anything guitar. Does make me appreciate the beautiful herd I have accumulated and yearn for the time to enjoy them more.

Man, you DO have a nice herd....would be good to see a "group" photo...and good to see you posting again Node!

Archived