Gibson Brands Forums

Heritage instrument insurance

jannusguy2

Does any one have any experience with this company? I'm considering them as an insurer for my acoustics. I'd like to hear opinions from those in the know. Thanks

Yes, it's who I have my instruments insured with. Probably best to take this conversation private, PM me if you like.

I think your local homeowners ins company will do a good job, especially if you already have a policy (they have renters ins too). Only thing is getting the appraisal done with photos. Mine runs around $36/yr for around $8,000 guitar value.

Here is a direct copy and paste from communication I have had with Ellis Hershman, Vice President of Heritage Insurance Services, Inc.

"Our policies cover direct physical loss or damage including consequential devaluation resultant of repair on an international basis and will cover professional and non-professional ownership or use.

We exclude nuclear perils, war and insurrection, vermin, wear and tear including any quality in an instrument which causes it to damage itself, confiscation or seizure by governmental authority such as IRS or Customs, and illegal transport or contraband.

Things commonly covered are theft, mysterious disappearance, accidental disappearance, flood, quake, fire, collision, water damage, breakage and devaluation, vandalism, temperature and humidity, All acts of God and most of men!"

Here is some additional information from two other correspondences:

"The policy is very comprehensive but shipment by package carrier or placement in the air cargo hull (baggage check) are not automatically included under coverage."

"If you ship a package or place an instrument in the cargo hull of an aircraft (baggage check) you need to contact us in advance and arrange coverage specific to the transit."

For those of you that think your instruments are covered by your homeowners insurance, you better read the fine print real carefully. There are always loopholes so THE MAN can keep our money in HIS pocket.

Here is a direct copy and paste from communication I have had with Ellis Hershman, Vice President of Heritage Insurance Services, Inc.

"Our policies cover direct physical loss or damage including consequential devaluation resultant of repair on an international basis and will cover professional and non-professional ownership or use.

We exclude nuclear perils, war and insurrection, vermin, wear and tear including any quality in an instrument which causes it to damage itself, confiscation or seizure by governmental authority such as IRS or Customs, and illegal transport or contraband.

Things commonly covered are theft, mysterious disappearance, accidental disappearance, flood, quake, fire, collision, water damage, breakage and devaluation, vandalism, temperature and humidity, All acts of God and most of men!"

Here is some additional information from two other correspondences:

"The policy is very comprehensive but shipment by package carrier or placement in the air cargo hull (baggage check) are not automatically included under coverage."

"If you ship a package or place an instrument in the cargo hull of an aircraft (baggage check) you need to contact us in advance and arrange coverage specific to the transit."

For those of you that think your instruments are covered by your homeowners insurance, you better read the fine print real carefully. There are always loopholes so THE MAN can keep our money in HIS pocket.

Seems fair. They don't cover acts of war, nuclear holocaust, or acts or vengeance of a female.

Most generally, Home Owners and Renters insurance will cover a reasonable number of musical instruments unless they are of 'exceptional' value. You'll need to find out what 'exceptional value' is. Most Home Dwellers Insurance policies cover the theft or loss of personal items while away from your home. If, however, you play professionally, you will need additional insurance as equipment used in a business outside the home are usually excluded. Most Home Dweller's insurance polices can have riders added to cover these instances.

I just had a conversation w/ my homeowner's insurance agent. All the musical instruments/personal articles coverage

would do is eliminate a $1,000 deductible for a claim on a loss. The cost annually for this turned out to be .005($x)

what the approx value of the guitars($x) is. Yes, I would have to have appraisals &/or receipts for all (no

appraisals older than 2 yrs old). I guess what you have to do is consider what the

likelihood of a claim would be, and how long it would take to meet/exceed that $1000

deductible, given the .005(x)/yr calculation.

ps: I never got a reply (pm)as to why you felt the rosewood wasn't working for you on the SJumbo, & how the maple compared in that body shape/size.

Archived