Gibson Brands Forums

What's that smell?

JoeM17

My Classic Custom kinda smells like vanilla... not posting a pic here as my computer does not support scratch-n-sniff

I agree.... I purchaced a 2013 Traditional from Sweetwater about a year ago and the first thing that I noticed was the aroma. It reminded me of a cake baking in the oven- a vanilla scent. It smelled awesome and I actually thought that Sweetwater had something to do with this not Gibson. Because they give you a bag of candy with any purchase. Anyways now the smell is gone and I've actually caught myself at times taking a sniff to see if I can get 1 more sniff out of her. I miss that smell!

I can tell you where that vanilla smell comes from.

When I bought my SigT the whole case smelled like vanilla, even the guitar itself had that smell. The same with my Gretsch Panther, though the laquer is different.

Well inside my Gibson case I found a bag of these salts to keep the humidity low ... and guess what ... yes, this bag caused the smell. And it was that intense, that the whole case smells like it.

Keep the guitar out of the case a few days and the smell is gone. Put it back in the case a further few days and it comes back.

I keep those in every case Silica Gel packets and I dont store straps in my case either.

Oh, Donny, you know how to confuse people ... a new user name again msp_flapper.gif

The strange thing is, that in my Epiphone case there were these small Silica packs, that didn't smell at all. So the Epiphone case and guitar don't smell at all. In my Gretsch case I found these too, but here the case smells like vanilla. And in my Gibson case I found a big Silica sack, about 10x10cm, that smelled like hell. After removing this large pack, the vanilla smell slowly vanishes. It's still there, but not as intense as before.

Fact is, the smell is inside the case, it's definitely not the laquer as some people in different forums guessed.

My Gibson cases made in Canada smell somewhere between vanilla, glue, and lining conditioner. The vanilla part of it is rather intense when the guitar or bass has a glossy finish. Those with "worn" or "satin" or "vintage gloss" finishes which basically are the same are less vanilla but pretty close to Fender USA cases. The recent Gibson cases from Costa Rica have more of a solvent smell which competes with the vanilla part of glossy finishes, and seems to predominate the smell of satin finishes.

My Epiphone case smells much like solvents, Fender ABS cases from Asia simply smell like plastic, and Fender G&G vintage cases made in USA smell like glue and lining conditioner to my nose.

I don't think it's the silica gel bag content or the bag itself. Most guitars, basses, and, if applicable, separate cases of mine, made by at least six different manufacturers, interestingly came containing bags of same make. When regenerating the silica gel in the baking oven, these bags smell just like nothing.

I don't think it's the silica gel bag content or the bag itself.

Fact is, that the Silica bag in my Gibson case had a very extrem vanilla smell and the case itself still has that smell, but less intense after removing this bag.

But I think, we can come to the conclusion, that it is not the lacquer causing the smell, but the Silica or the case itself.

• Upvote 1

Fact is, that the Silica bag in my Gibson case had a very extrem vanilla smell and the case itself still has that smell, but less intense after removing this bag.

But I think, we can come to the conclusion, that it is not the lacquer causing the smell, but the Silica or the case itself.

Then it has to be the case. Some more later, I will go to the European Parliament election now.

To the OP, what years are your other Gibsons?

IME, every new Gibson USA guitar I've bought has the vanilla smell (I switched to Gibsons in 2001) and it is not due to the case (though cases have their own smell).

The Gibsons that shipped new with gigbags had the vanilla smell, as do guitars off the shelf at stores, many of which have been on display for several months.

There's gotta be something different in the Gibson formula or how thy buff them out or something, as the nitro finishes I've done on guitars, or Fender nitro finishes lack the particular scent on the Gibsons (although they do have a nitro smell of their own)

• 2 months later...

I thought it might be something to do with the maple cap. Whenever I open the case to either of my LP's; I'm met with an aroma which smells sweet. I figured it might be due to to maple used, as maple species tress as many know, are used in maple syrup, etc.

I posted a little while ago on the powerful pong of my new ES345 Reissue.

And no, it is definitely NOT the case!

The smell is from the guitar (and only the guitar) and I think it is the nitro. I have kept it out of its case ever since I got it several weeks ago and the smell is still very much there although less strong than at first.

The smell is from the guitar (and only the guitar) and I think it is the nitro.

And why then does my Gretsch Panther smell exactly the same as my Gibson Les Paul, though the LP is Nitro and the Panther is Urethane finished?

i have kept it out of its case ever since I got it several weeks ago and the smell is still very much there although less strong than at first.

Put it in the case for a whole day and the smell is back as before. So I still guess, it's the case.

• Upvote 1

And why then does my Gretsch Panther smell exactly the same as my Gibson Les Paul, though the LP is Nitro and the Panther is Urethane finished?

Put it in the case for a whole day and the smell is back as before. So I still guess, it's the case.

Mate, you are hung up on "it must be the case". I'm telling you it is absolutely not the case! My guitar has been out of its case for at least seven weeks and it still stinks. When I go to the case and lift the lid there is only the faintest residue of smell - very faint. It is the guitar!

@ Pin & @ Aymara:

I think it can be guitar or case as well. As I posted in #32, there are cases like Fender made by G&G which smell rather intensely. This odour will transfer to polyester and polyurethane finishes, too, so the guitars smell like the cases.

The smell of Gibson guitars seems much stronger to me than that of their cases, and the case does adopt the scent of the nitro finish in my opinion.

donny, play your guitar, don't smoke it ;-)

... and the case does adopt the scent of the nitro finish in my opinion.

Possible, yes. Fact is, both my Gretsch and my Gibson smell exactly the same though the lacquer is different ... my Epiphone doesn't smell at all.

@ Pin & @ Aymara:

I think it can be guitar or case as well. As I posted in #32, there are cases like Fender made by G&G which smell rather intensely. This odour will transfer to polyester and polyurethane finishes, too, so the guitars smell like the cases.

The smell of Gibson guitars seems much stronger to me than that of their cases, and the case does adopt the scent of the nitro finish in my opinion.

I don't doubt you are right capmaster - it can be case or guitar (or both) depending on the brand. I know which it is for my ES345. I wouldn't describe the smell as unpleasant but it is strong and rather surprised me at first. The only other new Gibson I have owned was a black Les Paul Custom (around 1987) and that didn't smell at all as I recall (I am sure I would have remembered).

Just had a guitar repainted in "Nitro!" Smells nothing like a "new Gibson!"

So, I think that "new Gibson smell," is a combination of Nitro, the polish

Gibson uses, and (possibly) the case, as well. The "Nitro" just smells like

paint, to me. The sweet almond fragrance, that all my new Gibson's have, is

something else. Meguiars polish has a similar fragrance, which is why I think

the polish (Meguiars, or not) must be (at least) part of the overall scent.

CB

• Upvote 1

Hello!

Both my recently made Gibsons (the Classic Custom, and the L6S) - which came with hardcases -, have that scent coming from the case.

My Les Paul Studio, which came with gigbag, - obviously - never smelled like that.

What more can be said about this topic, or how simplier it could be said? :D

Cheers... Bence

Hello!

Both my recently made Gibsons (the Classic Custom, and the L6S) - which came with hardcases -, have that scent coming from the case.

My Les Paul Studio, which came with gigbag, - obviously - never smelled like that.

What more can be said about this topic, or how simplier it could be said? :D

Cheers... Bence

BUT, Bence...did the case originate the smell, or just absorb it?! [flapper][biggrin] LOL

When I first got my little "TV Yellow" LP Double Cutaway Special, it came with a Gig bag,

and the guitar DID have that "New Gibson Smell!" However, the gig bag didn't seem to absorb

it, or not nearly as much, as the cases seem to...for some odd reason. [tongue]:-k

CB

Hello Charlie!

Funny! :)

As far as Your beautiful Special is concerned: shouldn't those guitars come with a hardcase? Someone repacked that guitar into a gigbag and sold it to You...just kidding. ;)

Cheers... Bence

Just had a guitar repainted in "Nitro!" Smells nothing like a "new Gibson!"

So, I think that "new Gibson smell," is a combination of Nitro, the polish

Gibson uses, and (possibly) the case, as well. The "Nitro" just smells like

paint, to me. The sweet almond fragrance, that all my new Gibson's have, is

something else. Meguiars polish has a similar fragrance, which is why I think

the polish (Meguiars, or not) must be (at least) part of the overall scent.

CB

Now that you mentioned it, you're absolutely right. [thumbup] I always wondered what might be the other scent besides vanilla - almond is it! Interestingly, my glossy Gibsons have more of a vanilla smell whereas the "worn" or vintage gloss ones rather spread the flavour of almond. This makes pretty likely that it has to do with the recipes of both finish and polish as you suggested.

Thank you very much for your enlightening contribution. You're a genius, CB, in olfaction and brains as well! [thumbup]

BUT, Bence...did the case originate the smell, or just absorb it?! [flapper][biggrin] LOL

When I first got my little "TV Yellow" LP Double Cutaway Special, it came with a Gig bag,

and the guitar DID have that "New Gibson Smell!" However, the gig bag didn't seem to absorb

it, or not nearly as much, as the cases seem to...for some odd reason. [tongue]:-k

CB

Is this perhaps due to the permanent, natural venting of gig bags compared to cases? I think that gig bags are far less of an enclosure than hardcases. Although also a case cannot be considered as sealed in this respect, it delays evaporation of solvents or aromas significantly I guess.

Hello Charlie!

Funny! :)

As far as Your beautiful Special is concerned: shouldn't those guitars come with a hardcase? Someone repacked that guitar into a gigbag and sold it to You...just kidding. ;)

Cheers... Bence

[biggrin] Well, mine was just the inexpensive (but, still Awesome!!!) "Faded" version, so the "Gig bag," was standard.

The Custom Shop (AKA "Historics") do have the CS case, included. But, I'm sure you knew that! [biggrin]

CB

[biggrin] Well, mine was just the inexpensive (but, still Awesome!!!) "Faded" version, so the "Gig bag," was standard.

The Custom Shop (AKA "Historics") do have the CS case, included. But, I'm sure you knew that! [biggrin]

CB

Since I guess you just "breathe" your guitars and don't "smoke" them, your scent will give you the very perception of their real spirit. ;)