Gibson Brands Forums

What's that smell?

JoeM17

LOL...well, I wish I was prolific enough, on the fingerboard, to "Smoke" it! But, I just do what I can! [biggrin]

CB

Same here. [rolleyes] Anyway, I guess that "our" way of playing won't make board and frets go up in smoke that fast. ;)

Good to read this topic,at least I now know why my new LP smells as sweeeeet as it does...To be honest I thought our lass was secretly learning to play,behind my back. [blink]

Would you love her doing so? :rolleyes: Seems as if her fragrance is matching that of your new LP... ;)

Was just playing my month-old Flying V 120…An hour later and my hands have the scent from the guitar.

And it DOES kinda smell like Carmex!

Don't know Carmex lip balm in person, but it takes just a few minutes until my left hand smells like Gibson when playing a three-year-old one. My right hand may need more than a hour for that though.

• 5 years later...
9 hours ago, James1234 said:

It is definitely 100% the case and not the guitar. I bought a brand new Gibson case and it came smelling like the glorious delicious vanilla smell that it should have. They must add the scent to the case to hide the chemical / glue smells. There you have it folks.

There's one in every crowd.......

• 3 weeks later...

The new  SG that I got a couple of days ago has the same smell. I never store my guitars in their cases, they are just for transport. The case has been left open on the spare couch for a few days and doesn't give away any kind of smell anymore, the guitar does though. Another interesting thing I discovered is that my t-shirts with rubber prints stick to the SG but not to other guitars. Or maybe the SG just tries to glue itself to me LOL! 

3 hours ago, Cerb said:

Another interesting thing I discovered is that my t-shirts with rubber prints stick to the SG but not to other guitars. Or maybe the SG just tries to glue itself to me LOL! 

I can't wear a printed/silk screen shirt with my 2001 Les Paul 18yrs later, after it was made

Careful what you wear, or you can take the finish off 

I'll tell you mosquitoe repellent on your arm will also take the nitro off too

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Eracer_Team said:

I can't wear a printed/silk screen shirt with my 2001 Les Paul 18yrs later, after it was made

Careful what you wear, or you can take the finish off 

I'll tell you mosquitoe repellent on your arm will also take the nitro off too

That is good to know, thank you! 

On 9/21/2019 at 10:41 PM, James1234 said:

There's one in every crowd... Who shames people for commenting on old threads.  Feel cool?

So you're the cool one for trying to shame me?  Three strikes and you're out.  First you're a hypocrite.  Second I was not shaming anyone, because third, my comment was about him "knowing" the smell was from the case and not the guitar.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Wmachine said:

So you're the cool one for trying to shame me?  Three strikes and you're out.  First you're a hypocrite.  Second I was not shaming anyone, because third, my comment was about him "knowing" the smell was from the case and not the guitar.

Whoops! Misunderstood you there. Please don't strike me! But really, the case smells super vanilla like. 😉

• Upvote 1

I've read quite a few posts and threads about this over the years about this.  And the short answer is that I've been able to conclude the answer is both, to some degree.  Both the (some at least) cases and the USA guitars have a scent.  "Both" also explains why the debate has raged on for so many years.

That's why I roll my eyes when someone has "irrefutable proof" that it is one and not the other.  "There you have it, folks!"