Gibson Brands Forums

Pandora, do you use it?

T Bone

Whenever I realize I've been online for awhile and there's no music playing, I just wanna kick myself! I mean, besides being a great tool for knowledge and potentially the greatest time consumer (waster?) ever, the Internet is after all, also the worlds greatest Juke Box!

I still do listen to some of my favorite radio stations streaming live occasionally (Cayrock from Grand Cayman where I vacationed once comes to mind), and I use AOL radio a lot too, but these days, more than anything else (even my own iTunes selections), I'll find myself listening to Pandora.

Love it, I have a number of custom stations I use a lot, some genre based, some artist based, and some of their stock stations as well (like Contemporary Blues Radio, or Stevie Ray Vaughan Radio). I've got more stations on my phone than on the 'puter, but lots of cool stuff. The possibilities are nearly endless, plus there are dozens of pre set stations to choose from.

One of my favorites is "Walk Don't Run" radio, my own creation for surf music. They do have their own called "Surf Rock Radio", but I created mine before I found it, and I find theirs gives me a lot of Beach Boys and other similar stuff, when what I was really after was The Ventures, The Chantays, Di(K Dale, Link Wray, The Shadows etc. etc., which is exactly what I got when I created "Walk Don't Run" radio.

Give it a try if you're jones'n for some great guitar oriented Surf, and if you've got some favorite stations of your own, share them here!

yep we signed up for Pandora a while ago, and so I have tuned in a bunch of stations. It's fantastic. Music all day long and there's even apps for smart phones.

I have a few cool stations, one is Alex De Grassi, if you're into alternate tuning acoustic finger style, check it out.

I really dig De Grassi and Tommy Emanuel pops up a lot, he's incredible.

Yeah I have a couple of the small stand alone radio's they make and i use them all day long mostly just my own artist mixes and a couple stains from maui and Denver that I miss when I'm in Arizona. Pandora has totally replaced Xm radio and everything else for me it's really all i listen to now. My main stations are Warren Haynes, A Keb Mo mix, Van Morrison, Counting Crows, a few reggae Stations and a classic Southern Rock station I can't remember the name of right now.

I use it many times a day.

I have it on my Droid Bionic I play through Sony Bluetooth headphones when walking at work around our nature trails at lunch, on the work PC sometimes, and I just got a new Pioneer deck for my vehicle that has Pandora on it that syncs with my Droid via Bluetooth.

Pandora is great.

I really like Pandora but there is a curious thing about it. For instance, I have a Rolling Stones radio station set up. In an hour's listening I may only hear 3 songs by the Stones. I am apt to hear as many by the Doors or Van Morrison or Tom Petty, maybe the Beatles. Same for other artists I put in stations for. I think their software has certain keywords that will, in the case with the Stones, throw the listener into generic classic rock station and toss in a few, maybe more, of the artist selected. While still good, it doesn't seem to be as customizable as they would have you believe.

I really like Pandora but there is a curious thing about it. For instance, I have a Rolling Stones radio station set up. In an hour's listening I may only hear 3 songs by the Stones. I am apt to hear as many by the Doors or Van Morrison or Tom Petty, maybe the Beatles. Same for other artists I put in stations for. I think their software has certain keywords that will, in the case with the Stones, throw the listener into generic classic rock station and toss in a few, maybe more, of the artist selected. While still good, it doesn't seem to be as customizable as they would have you believe.

Agreed, I've had that happen with one or two of mine (Rockabilly is a good example, go to their stock station and you're inundated with Country).

You might want to try AOL radio (don't need AOL software, just need to download the aol toolbar I think). They have an all 'Stones channel.

Something I've been meaning to try out is "I Heart Radio", a co-worker last year told me it's a lot more customizable than Pandora.

Still, for most of my uses, Pandora gives me exactly what I want.

Archived