Gibson Brands Forums

Saddle question, opinions

bobby b

Hi gang, been a while since I've posted....thats what happens when a dozen or so family members come to town, whew!!

Anywhoo.... So I decided to change the nut on my 'bird TV. It aint that old but the high E slot was a little low and was startin' to bug me buzzin' when strummed med/hard open.

Yeah I could'a filled it with some dust and CA, but I have been using a great Luthier here in Vancouver for the last couple of years.

She has done some fine work on some of my other gits'.... so I got her to make me a new one from some vintage bone.

It looks awesome, the colour is real close to that of the tuner buttons [thumbup] I'll post some pics soon.

Well.......she also had some saddle blanks of the same material so I bought a couple and I'm gonna try my hand at shaping a saddle ...... Awww yeah!

My question regarding the saddle(s) is..... they have slightly different weights....densities?!? When I drop them onto a (various) had surface they have different tones.

The heavier/denser one has a deeper, somewhat duller, tone to it and the lighter one is more a warmer glassy or ceramic'y sounding tone to it.

I really only bought the second one as a spare in-case I buggered up the first attempt, but now I'm thinking, which one would be best to use?

I'm thinkin' the lighter/brighter of the two .....which would you choose ?

Yeah, I know, I'l prob make one of each and find out for myself the differences (if any ), just lookin for some opinions from y'all.

Cheers

Bobby

Hi gang, been a while since I've posted....thats what happens when a dozen or so family members come to town, whew!!

Anywhoo.... So I decided to change the nut on my 'bird TV. It aint that old but the high E slot was a little low and was startin' to bug me buzzin' when strummed med/hard open.

Yeah I could'a filled it with some dust and CA, but I have been using a great Luthier here in Vancouver for the last couple of years.

She has done some fine work on some of my other gits'.... so I got her to make me a new one from some vintage bone.

It looks awesome, the colour is real close to that of the tuner buttons [thumbup] I'll post some pics soon.

Well.......she also had some saddle blanks of the same material so I bought a couple and I'm gonna try my hand at shaping a saddle ...... Awww yeah!

My question regarding the saddle(s) is..... they have slightly different weights....densities?!? When I drop them onto a (various) had surface they have different tones.

The heavier/denser one has a deeper, somewhat duller, tone to it and the lighter one is more a warmer glassy or ceramic'y sounding tone to it.

I really only bought the second one as a spare in-case I buggered up the first attempt, but now I'm thinking, which one would be best to use?

I'm thinkin' the lighter/brighter of the two .....which would you choose ?

Yeah, I know, I'l prob make one of each and find out for myself the differences (if any ), just lookin for some opinions from y'all.

Cheers

Bobby

i would say it depends on how you want the sound to be altered? is it already too bright? too dark?

Archived