Gibson Brands Forums

Can you dig this one?

sellen

So i'm tempted. It's a early custom shop sg special made by Phillip jones, as i understand it by google he was the first guy working for custom shop. It might be a one of a kind? Anyway it would have been cool to have this if we are going to do some 80's hair heavy with the band [biggrin] Asking prize is 1195$ To Much?

Will get that gator case [thumbup]

221-1.jpg

Not so deep bevels at the horns, but great body bevels

226.jpg

Custom made by

248.jpg

It do have some nicks, scratches and playing wear, but he says it plays really nicely

sgred.jpg

sgre.jpg

I know emg isn't very pop here but i think it could be cool to have one with those pickups. Hmmmmm :-k

So if any of you are tempted run over to ebay snatch it up before me and save me my money [biggrin]

I had a black 3-knob SG Special that looked just like that, but black. Dunno what makes it so custom other than the CS Logo...maybe the color and if the EMGs were factory installed (I had a blue RI Gibson Showcase Ed SG that had factory installed EMGs) and who's Phillip Jones? Nice SG tho but may not be worth the asking price.

... who's Phillip Jones? ...

According to Gruhn's: Phil Jones was the first employee of Gibson's Custom Shop after Gibson moved its headquarters to Nashville in 1984. For 15 years he served as master luthier, repairing and restoring guitars for customers and artists, designing and prototyping guitars and bases for the production line and designing and building one-off custom instruments. He started building art guitars in 1990 and continued when the Custom Shop became the Custom, Art & Historic division in 1994. He also prototyped models for Gibson's Historic line and built most of the Korina Flying V's Explorers and Futuras and Historic Firebirds.

BTW, nice looking and very interesting SG.

philjones.jpg

According to Gruhn's: Phil Jones was the first employee of Gibson's Custom Shop after Gibson moved its headquarters to Nashville in 1984. For 15 years he served as master luthier, repairing and restoring guitars for customers and artists, designing and prototyping guitars and bases for the production line and designing and building one-off custom instruments. He started building art guitars in 1990 and continued when the Custom Shop became the Custom, Art & Historic division in 1994. He also prototyped models for Gibson's Historic line and built most of the Korina Flying V's Explorers and Futuras and Historic Firebirds.

BTW, nice looking and very interesting SG.

philjones.jpg

Thanks for the info! [thumbup]

So maybe this was the first of the 3-knob SG Specials???

Thanks for the info! [thumbup]

So maybe this was the first of the 3-knob SG Specials???

No they started making them in '83

I'm gonna wait for the prize to drop a bit more if i gonna buy it, went from 1195 to 1100 today. Have some sg's but i don't have a sg special or any old ones, so i'm looking for one and would love to find something from the 1970 to 1990 for around 1000$-1200$

• 1 year later...

Hello, I'm looking for information about this guitar. It was stolen from me in Riverview Mi. It has unbelievable sentimental family history and really wish we can find the person who stole it. I do not require the guitar back only information. If you purchased this guitar from eBay all I need is a transaction id a user name, anything... even if you watched it. I hope the guitar has a better home. Please contact me if you have any info.

Nick

if you own the guitar I can verify any part on the guitar even the hidden ones you may not see.

Nicholasrburton@gmail.com

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I'm looking for information about this guitar. It was stolen from me in Riverview Mi. It has unbelievable sentimental family history and really wish we can find the person who stole it. I do not require the guitar back only information. If you purchased this guitar from eBay all I need is a transaction id a user name, anything... even if you watched it. I hope the guitar has a better home. Please contact me if you have any info.

Nick

if you own the guitar I can verify any part on the guitar even the hidden ones you may not see.

Nicholasrburton@gmail.com

Hi

I did't buy it.

The Ebay seller was cwh1

Hope this can make you track it down

Archived