Gibson Brands Forums

Joe Bonamassa's new album

IanHenry

Yesterday I received Joe Bonamassa's new album, Driving Towards the Daylight, and I have to say, I think it's the best one he's ever made, you really should check it out!

Regards,

Ian.

will do, been a fan of the kid for a few years now!we go to see him when he's here abouts! about thee times so far! he gets better every time!

Given a listen to a few tracks that I could dig up. So far I'm really liking it [thumbup]. I may be going to see him for the third time later this month, he's one hell of a performer.

I like most of his stuff. His newer stuff is a little odd.

I'm not as into him as I used to be, but I'll give it a listen.

I like the fact that he is consistent with his releases and doesn't slack off like some other musicians out there...

The albums I am looking forward to now are Slash's new album and Clockwork Angels (Rush).

... I may be going to see him for the third time later this month, he's one hell of a performer.

Saw him for the first time a couple weeks ago. All I can say is "Wow!" "One hell of a performer" doesn't do him justice.

And two hours without an intermission.

I saw him on the "Had To Cry Today" tour. Just a phenomenal talent. He's a true virtuoso. He plays many styles and he plays each one as if it is his only style. The story is that his mentor, Danny Gatton, told him if he wanted to be a great guitarist he needed to learn a variety of styles. He seems to have taken that advice to heart. I'll give the new album a listen.

I saw him on the "Had To Cry Today" tour. Just a phenomenal talent. He's a true virtuoso. He plays many styles and he plays each one as if it is only style. The story is that his mentor, Danny Gatton, told him if he wanted to be a great guitarist he needed to learn a variety of styles. He seems to have taken that advice to heart. I'll give the new album a listen.

I think every guitar player should take that advice!

Ever watch Iron Maiden Flight 666?

There is a scene with Adrian backstage practicing Pride And Joy...

It's really amazing about how many metal guitarists love and like to play blues!

And vice-versa! Mr. Bonamassa is a known Maiden fan!

I can hear a bit of that influence in some of his solos!

I think every guitar player should take that advice!

Ever watch Iron Maiden Flight 666?

There is a scene with Adrian backstage practicing Pride And Joy...

It's really amazing about how many metal guitarists love and like to play blues!

And vice-versa! Mr. Bonamassa is a known Maiden fan!

I can hear a bit of that influence in some of his solos!

I haven't seen it. I'll have to check it out

Careful, Mr. Gasoline. Mr. Match is right around the corner. ;)

About time.

I'm not a big fan of oriented guitar music. Great riffs and solos matter, but a little bit average blues playing doesnt cut it for me.

Mr. JB has skill but i don't really see whats so great about him.

I did listen to a few other of his "old" songs, i didn't check out his new record. Nor will i ever to be honest.

Also, his songs are so ******* cheesy sometimes, i hate that!

• 2 weeks later...

Even if I should get some enemies here ;)

I was a fan, but all his releases since the live from nowhere in particular are disappointing me, to me, but it is only my opinion, he is trying to explore too many domains.

I will keep on listening bridge to better days and his cover of just got paid loud anyway, but Mr Joe better go back to his pure blues/rock classic stuff

I've given it a few listens now and can say that it's boring.

There's nothing stunning on it. No great riffs or solo's. I feel let down.

He's trying to please the haters...

In an issue of Guitar World, I recall him saying that he wants to be known for a song, not for a jam.

That was a couple years ago. When I first read that, I lost some respect for him, as I was all about the soloing and jamming then.

Now, I couldn't agree more. He has it together onstage. His band is tight. They don't jam 20 minute songs anymore. His days of doing the long version of "Are You Experienced" are gone.

And it's not overkill either.

For some odd reason (and I'm gonna get flamed for this I'm sure...), when he is onstage, he reminds me of Alex Lifeson in a way....

Not that he plays like him (I wouldn't be surprised if he was a closet Rush nerd...Given that some of his stuff borders on prog...), but he dresses nice, and moves/dances in the same manner. Let the flames begin! LOL!

Careful, Mr. Gasoline. Mr. Match is right around the corner. ;)

Well, you gotta give him something for not sounding like SRV.....

I can imagine how much you can't stand Kenny Wayne Shepherd. I thought his first album was great, but anything after, with the exception of a couple tunes I like, I don't see the good in. Sorry. I don't really get the SRV thing. I mean, I love SRV, but not his clones. But nothin' beats the MAN, HENDRIX! And Robin Trower as well. I suppose you're not much of a fan of his either?

Now, Mike Bloomfield took blues guitar to a whole new level!

There's great blues and not-so great blues. SRV's too easy to copy (especially if you're playing a Strat....I love Strats, though. But I spend more time playing Blackmore, Hendrix, and Trower licks rather than Stevie licks). Not everyone can do Bloomfield. He was a freak of nature. It's just the same with EVH. He's too easy to copy, at least if you know what you're doing. But Michael Schenker is a whole other story!

So, SRV gets boring. But put on an Electric Flag album and my love for the blues will return! SRV was too predictable for me. Bloomfield was the exact opposite! You never know what's coming ahead!

I like Joe cause' he isn't in the SRV Strat cat thing. And he incorporates more styles into his playing, as well. His past few albums are great. Almost conceptual, in a way. A far cry from the plump guy with the gold Strat!

Well, you gotta give him something for not sounding like SRV.....

I can imagine how much you can't stand Kenny Wayne Shepherd. I thought his first album was great, but anything after, with the exception of a couple tunes I like, I don't see the good in. Sorry. I don't really get the SRV thing. I mean, I love SRV, but not his clones. But nothin' beats the MAN, HENDRIX! And Robin Trower as well. I suppose you're not much of a fan of his either?

Now, Mike Bloomfield took blues guitar to a whole new level!

There's great blues and not-so great blues. SRV's too easy to copy (especially if you're playing a Strat....I love Strats, though. But I spend more time playing Blackmore, Hendrix, and Trower licks rather than Stevie licks). Not everyone can do Bloomfield. He was a freak of nature. It's just the same with EVH. He's too easy to copy, at least if you know what you're doing. But Michael Schenker is a whole other story!

So, SRV gets boring. But put on an Electric Flag album and my love for the blues will return! SRV was too predictable for me. Bloomfield was the exact opposite! You never know what's coming ahead!

I like Joe cause' he isn't in the SRV Strat cat thing. And he incorporates more styles into his playing, as well. His past few albums are great. Almost conceptual, in a way. A far cry from the plump guy with the gold Strat!

SRV boring? Are you kidding?

I understand that everyone has different taste but if you go that way, Howlin' Wolf or Robert Johnson are boring as well! I can't believe this, or this just means that you are not a blues fan but a music lover, no offence here, I love all kind of music as well but blues is my favourite.

But I think, saying that SRV was boring, man, you disrespect the memory of the man and of his fans [mellow]

SRV boring? Are you kidding?

I understand that everyone has different taste but if you go that way, Howlin' Wolf or Robert Johnson are boring as well! I can't believe this, or this just means that you are not a blues fan but a music lover, no offence here, I love all kind of music as well but blues is my favourite.

But I think, saying that SRV was boring, man, you disrespect the memory of the man and of his fans [mellow]

Did you read the post thoroughly?

I like SRV, but sometimes he bores ME. That doesn't make him a boring guitar player. Sometimes he wasn't as spontaneous as he should have been, which makes me a little bored....

I love the blues, but there's more to it than SRV. I think all he really was Albert King on steroids, with some Hendrix influence and finesse. But there is no denying he was a great musician or what he did for the blues in general. I'm not a hater at all. My band does a couple SRV tunes (Cold Shot and Pride And Joy), and I love playing and singing them both. But I play my own licks.

I'm just sick and tired of people copying him. Personally, I feel that is a slap in the face to the man himself.

Just like most 80s rock guitar players were all a slap in the face to EVH....

If I was a famous guitar player, I'd want people to be inspired by me, but not to copy me. It's actually a little intimidating, now that I think about it.

I went to HMV but they sold their only copy they ordered. Halifax just doesn't have a great appreciation for the blues sadly.

Artie, is that Halifax Yorkshire or Halifax Nova Scotia?

Ian.

I got Driving Towards The Daylight the day it was released. MHO: a good album. The only other recent one I have is Black Rock, (never got Dustbowl) I like "Driving.." a bit better than Black Rock. Title cut is a pretty well crafted song, by far my favorite on the album so far. Is he carrying torch the for Gary Moore and SRV? Feels that way to me, I think he's doing a pretty good job at it too. I have to give the guy credit, he's staying on top of his game, 3 albums in 3 years, plus all the live stuff? His chops are very good, the tone he gets is great, he's a solid singer and what he's writing, for the most part, I think he is writing well. Go Joe!

Archived