Gibson Brands Forums

RIP Donald 'Duck' Dunn...

double0blues

Yep, heard that this morning. What a great musician. I just loved his style with Stax and what he brought to the table with Neil Young/Crazy Horse in later years was magic. Have not heard the cause of death, but he was out touring and doing what he loved... [thumbup]

When all the racial tension was peaked in the 60s, Duck and Steve Cropper got together in Memphis with Al Jackson and Booker T, and let their music say many things to many people. Duck Dunn and James Jamerson were the two best ever imo. bless Duck Dunn

When all the racial tension was peaked in the 60s, Duck and Steve Cropper got together in Memphis with Al Jackson and Booker T, and let their music say many things to many people. Duck Dunn and James Jamerson were the two best ever imo. bless Duck Dunn

They were both in the backing band on some of my favourite Stax Albert King albums, I believe...

R.I.P. Duck.

BluesKing777.

In the months before M L King's assassination in Memphis, the racial tension there was as bad as things got in the 60s. Duck and Steve were like glue in the black community, just their presence at Stax was a catalyst in calming things down. They worked with Albert King, Freddie King, and most everybody in the RnB world. But, their closest friend ever was Otis Redding. Living in middle Georgia we kept close tabs on Otis all the way back to his Pinetoppers days. For me and my old buds, over the years the name Duck Dunn has been like a trademark or something. He was a very special man.

Archived