Gibson Brands Forums

LP Classic serial number

hetoft

Hello Gibson fans.

Very new in forum... Hope to get some relaiable help in here :)

I've (almost) bought a fantastic looking/sounding LP Classic. It is really a pleasurre to play such good sounding guitar.

I've had some troubles finding out how that serial number jungle works :) Though I have tried different databases I still can't figure it out. I'm actually wondering if it's a fake :(

The serial number is 033999 but not all of the numbers on the back of the head is clear and bright to read. It looks a bit like the print/stamp has failed a bit in production line??? But it doesn't seem like any numbers are missing or anything. from what I've been told it should be a 2003??

Well... Hope to get some good answers from all you clever Gibson heads out there :)

Hello Gibson fans.

Very new in forum... Hope to get some relaiable help in here :)

I've (almost) bought a fantastic looking/sounding LP Classic. It is really a pleasurre to play such good sounding guitar.

I've had some troubles finding out how that serial number jungle works :) Though I have tried different databases I still can't figure it out. I'm actually wondering if it's a fake :(

The serial number is 033999 but not all of the numbers on the back of the head is clear and bright to read. It looks a bit like the print/stamp has failed a bit in production line??? But it doesn't seem like any numbers are missing or anything. from what I've been told it should be a 2003??

Well... Hope to get some good answers from all you clever Gibson heads out there :)

Hello and welocme...

You cant always tell by the serial number alone as they can be copied. The best thing to do is if you can post pictures for us. The headstock back and front are one of the best ways but the more pics the better..

I have a 2002 Classic and its wonderful in every way... They are one of the hottest pickup combos you get on a Gibson. And mine also has a six numer serial that starts with 02. So yes it being an 03 is right with that serial number you provided.

There are lots of good folk on here with mucho knoweldge.

Have fun :)

Hi and welcome to the forum.

As Rabs has already said that number would match a 2003 '1960 Classic'. I haven't yet seen a 'Classic' faked but if you are in any doubt please post some snaps here, if possible, and you will receive such advice as we can provide.

Here's how;

http://forum.gibson....to-post-photos/

Just to add a bit of info re; serial numbers on the 1960 Classic series as Gibson used a different numbering system for these instruments as compared any other LP.

When first introduced (in 1989) they went 9 XXX where the 9 = 1989 and XXX was the individual instrument number in the run (there were fewer than 1,000 instruments made in 1989).

Through the '90s they were numbered Y XXXX where Y was the year and XXXX was as before; i.e. 3 1234 = 1993, guitar 1234.

In 2000 they went to YY XXXX where the first Y=0 and the second Y was the year; i.e. 03 1234 = 2003, guitar 1234.

Good luck in getting the giutar!

P.

Archived