Gibson Brands Forums

Goodbye Slash

pumpkin

We finally got our puppy last Saturday.... It had been a long four months waiting.... We found the breeder before the momma was even pregnant & then we went through the entire pregnancy & birth & growing old enough to leave momma & come home. He was sooooo wanted & loved. And "needed" too... We really needed him to fill the huge hole in our hearts that Angus left.

Monday he had his checkup.... Monday evening he threw up... Called two different vets & took him in the next day. We were given a diagnosis of coronavirus. My gut told me something else was wrong so I took him for a 2nd opinion Wednesday & he was parvo positive. Started treatment (which was similar to treatment for corona anyway), and he had some good moments & we were praying he would pull through. We lost him early Friday in the middle of the night.

We are all just heartbroken.

eaf16e70.jpg

7ad5b9ad.jpg

8f12d365.jpg

4867dcc3.jpg

2d2d68c7.jpg

This was Wednesday on the way to the 2nd vet.

8c4602b9.jpg

Wow.....I don't know what those canine diseases are.........I'm glad he enjoyed his short life with you.....

I'm looking foward to seeing pics of your next Slash...........

I'm so very sorry to hear about this turn of events, pumpkin, especially having read about your excitement, anticipation and delight regarding his arrival.

I'm sure he had a huge dose of love from you all in the short time you had together but that outcome is really just not fair.

My best wishes to you all.

P.

I feel for ya, I went through the same thing several years ago with a Champion Blood line German Sheperd, after it happend we found out she caught it from the vets she was taken to for a final checkup before we got her. My heart goes out to you, and I know what your going through.

Thanks so much y'all... It stinks.

The breeder is upset too... There's no way of knowing exactly when and where he contracted it... Well, actually we know he didn't get it here because it takes a MINIMUM of 3 days to show signs. The other puppies aren't sick yet, but he was the smallest of them all & not as strong... And maybe he was just the unfortunate one to get exposed. There's also a possibility of the shots he rec'd Monday to PREVENT parvo actually gave it to him... Or if he already had been exposed, the shot was pretty much a death sentence. It's just a big mess & we will never have all the answers. All I know is that it hurts so bad that he didn't get a chance. Hell, we already bought his big boy collar that he wouldn't have worn til he was well over a year old!

I'm crushed.

I appreciate y'all.

It's hard losing one at any age, and this really sucks because he never had a chance to really live.

I don't know when I'll be able to do this again... It's sooooo hard saying bye. Maybe I'll just foster from now on.

Thank you all soooo much <3

Man, sorry to hear it. Don't have an answer because it seems so useless sometimes.

My mom used to breed, and Parvo sucks. We had it twice. When it hits it is hard if not impossible to tell where it came from. All you can really do is make an effort to contain it. By the time it is discovered, it is too late to stop it...all you can do is quarenteen the pups and try and keep them alive.

It is very sad, and it is hard to go through too. When you have sick pups you don't want any getting sick, and you don't want to make other pups sick.

When it is over, I think the thing that makes it worthwhile is the ones you saved, and the joy that they bring. Dogs have a way of doing that.

Your next one will do this, regardless of where it comes from.

Man that's really a tough break and had to be painful for all of you. That picture of it being held by your doughtier? and then the sick puppy in the car shot is really painful to see. The Parvo virus is so hard on puppies (and owners) because you can never be sure where it came from. The tough part is remember that Parvo hangs around so if your puppy was only inside you should be safe after about thirty days, but if it went outside remember that the Parvo virus can last up to seven months in soil and if your soil freezes then those months during a freeze don't count towards the seven month count as Parvo just goes dormant in frozen ground. The terrible thing about Parvo is that it can become a harsh and very deadly cycle once a breeder or family get's it going with their puppies. It's most dangerous for dogs six weeks to six months old since most adult have then built up immunity from the shot's.

I worked at a veterinary clinic in High School and I really hated to see Parvo cases because it was so often fatal and then the grieving family would go get another baby puppy and start the cycle again. If you decide to get another baby puppy maybe get one that's at least had it's first shots and is a little older and wait at least a few months. :(

Archived