Gibson Brands Forums

Help, computer keeps restarting itself

FenderGuy1

Old computers don't have that problem........[flapper] ...Just kidding......

I'm not the computer expert here........It could be a number of problems.............Good luck Fenderguy.....

very hard to tell you anything without details... but the first thing to check is if the RAM is in place properly.. this sort of thing can happen if its come out of its seat or if one of the chips has blown...

An obsolete virus coming back?

I'm not a computer guy,but I have nightmares of that virus. My first experience with a non Mac and all the fun viruses that go with them. 18 hours of trying to figure out whats wrong. I realized I needed an update, but with a 26k connection, it wasn't easy. The patch took over 2 minutes to download, but the computer would restart every 2 minutes. I eventually downloaded the patch with my iMac on a smart card, then transferred it to the Dell. Ugh

[quote name=FenderGuy1' timestamp='13369

7328' post='1197714]

I need help

Hi FG1,

Have you made any recent updates or loaded new and/or additional software? Could be that if you did it might not match software you have on your computer.

You might try this: Start, control panel, all control panel items, action center, troubleshooting, system and security, fix problems with windows update, click on advanced in the next window then click advanced. Just follow the bouncing ball so to speak. It will repair some issues you may have encountered.

Also, in your browser, key in "why computer restarts again and again". There are varied answers there you might find helpful. Oh yes, I use free software from windows and it's got a scanner and will fix problems too.

It's free software, I find it useful and never had issues with it.

Good luck!

You might also try hitting F8 a bunch of times while the computer is booting and then selecting start in Safe Mode. Then try a system restore from Start, Accessories, System tools and restore to a previous date that you know worked.

If there are no restore points, there could be a virus that has disabled that functionality.

Good luck.

Dave

I'm not a computer guy,but I have nightmares of that virus. My first experience with a non Mac and all the fun viruses that go with them. 18 hours of trying to figure out whats wrong. I realized I needed an update, but with a 26k connection, it wasn't easy. The patch took over 2 minutes to download, but the computer would restart every 2 minutes. I eventually downloaded the patch with my iMac on a smart card, then transferred it to the Dell. Ugh

You realize that Apple PCs do get viruses, correct? The only reason they aren't as common is because only like 8% (last I knew, I don't care much for Apple PCs, so I don't read up on them much) of the computer market worldwide is taken by Apple PCs. The whole purpose of viruses is to make money most of the time (stealing credit card info, Paypal info, bank info, etc) The malicious coders didn't write viruses for Apple PCs because the market was so limited, and really still is. I've never had a virus problem. One thing you can do to cut down (Windows PC user) is by using a different image search. There are a lot of shady sites, pushing a lot of shady images. I've seen this being the cause of a virus a lot of times in my 2 years of working at a computer repair shop. Just use Bing images, and keep your antivirus up to date. (And don't knock the free ones, Avast and AVG do a great job)

You might also try hitting F8 a bunch of times while the computer is booting and then selecting start in Safe Mode. Then try a system restore from Start, Accessories, System tools and restore to a previous date that you know worked.

If there are no restore points, there could be a virus that has disabled that functionality.

Good luck.

Dave

I'd also like to add this:

Run Malwarebytes, then CCleaner.

Personally, I believe it is impossible to avoid getting a virus of one-kind-or-another. I've had the best (as far as I'm aware) anti-virus and anti-malware software around and I still had problems that locked-up my hard drive. Over the years I know I've used at least 8-9-10 different virus protections plans and they all fail at one time or another. If you're going to surf music sites, you're going to run in to some nasty problems with bugs, etc......Anyway, my computer totally locked-up the week before last. My only option was a new computer. Fortunately, I've been using a Seagate Free Agent Drive to backup all my files on for the last approx. 2 years. One of the best $80 buys I've ever made. My computer hard drive was finished, but all my files were copied everyday on to a different site (on my desk). Anyway, Fender, I hope your problem didn't cost you too much.

Well i am on my new laptop i got sent to me, nice HP laptop

Right, but that is THE BEST time to fix it! Imagine what happens if/when the new lap top goes TU? You will be without a computer. Redundancy is a good thing, fix it now if you can while you've got the resources of another link to the web!

Good luck.

Dave

I was thinking system restore also. I'd try this route, if...

Is your push to start button stuck?

Loose power cable?

If it's not this! Try this first, I once had my "sleep" button stick on a desk top and it did like yours is doing, on and off.

I did that. Now how do I get to Google from BSofD?

[sneaky]

Another computer! (See FG1, it's good to have back up hardware!).

Pardon? :)

BSofD= Blue Screen of Death...

You realize that Apple PCs do get viruses, correct? The only reason they aren't as common is because only like 8% (last I knew, I don't care much for Apple PCs, so I don't read up on them much) of the computer market worldwide is taken by Apple PCs. The whole purpose of viruses is to make money most of the time (stealing credit card info, Paypal info, bank info, etc) The malicious coders didn't write viruses for Apple PCs because the market was so limited, and really still is. I've never had a virus problem. One thing you can do to cut down (Windows PC user) is by using a different image search. There are a lot of shady sites, pushing a lot of shady images. I've seen this being the cause of a virus a lot of times in my 2 years of working at a computer repair shop. Just use Bing images, and keep your antivirus up to date. (And don't knock the free ones, Avast and AVG do a great job)

I don't think anybody will be writing viruses for PowerPC Macs considering they haven't made them since 2006.

I don't think anybody will be writing viruses for PowerPC Macs considering they haven't made them since 2006.

It's not exactly a specific model, it's the file structure. Apple PCs and Windows PCs have totally different file structures.

Archived