Gibson Brands Forums

What are the chances of being disappointed...J200 Question.

merseybeat1963

Why bother trotting out this completely overused word? The guy is expressing an over-the-top opinion based on limited experience. No big deal, and easily dismissed on it's own merits.

You mean lack of merit. Of course he's full of $hit but it would say more about him than these fictitious guitars if they had that much wrong, especially the cosmetics of the J200 he talks about, and he bought them. I agree, troll.

The more I think about it, this is what I think about it-----If I have an opportunity to buy a new/used Gibson (and if it's used it's in good shape) at a truly decent price, I'd be a fool to worry about being disappointed or fretting (pardon the pun) over whither or not the guitar would be a clunker.. Same goes for a Martin/Taylor/etc. You don't look a gift horse in the mouth......Anyway, if the price for this particular J200 is real good and everything else looks good, go for it and don't get your panties all wadded-up over something that likely won't happen and if it does the price and some steady playing may very well take care of any perceived "clunker" issues. If I have the money and someone offers me a J200 at a sweet price, I'd be sorry if I passed on it.

My 2001 SJ-200 had no tone, poor and sloppy paint at fret board body joint, paint that went bad even tho it was kept polished and humidified to 50%, the pick guard designs came off within two weeks of playing (the guitar cost $3500), and the pick guard then started to peel off after two years. Junk. I dumped it to some Gibson lover who thought Gibson walks on water. Had two other Gibsons..AJ Mahogany Southern Jumbo and also an AJ Rosewood. Sold them. Both junk. Bought two Epiphone Masterbuilts. Both are better than the Gibsons and together they both cost only $1000. Your choice here on the J200. Never again for me...three poor quality Gibsons in a row..strike 3...they're out!

Where did you buy these 3 guitar .At guitar center ???

JC

Why bother trotting out this completely overused word? ...

Because it's accurate. If that's how he feels about Gibsons, why is he following this forum? He's not contributing to a discussion, he's trying to provoke a reaction for his own amusement.

-- Bob R

I had an '89 sycamore J-100, and an '01 J-200, and played them side by side for a year or two before finally deciding to give up the '89. The sound of the '01 just suited my ears a bit more than the '89, it was a little "fuller" sounding, a bit more articulate bass.

YMMV.

Fred

Well, then you must the unluckiest guy on the planet mate.

My 2001 SJ-200 had no tone, poor and sloppy paint at fret board body joint, paint that went bad even tho it was kept polished and humidified to 50%, the pick guard designs came off within two weeks of playing (the guitar cost $3500), and the pick guard then started to peel off after two years. Junk. I dumped it to some Gibson lover who thought Gibson walks on water. Had two other Gibsons..AJ Mahogany Southern Jumbo and also an AJ Rosewood. Sold them. Both junk. Bought two Epiphone Masterbuilts. Both are better than the Gibsons and together they both cost only $1000. Your choice here on the J200. Never again for me...three poor quality Gibsons in a row..strike 3...they're out!

Well, then you must the unluckiest guy on the planet mate.

Okay, now we probably have the most accurate assessment of Mr Epi's comments, rather than this troll baloney. The guy got three crappy Gibsons and is expressing his opinion about Gibsons vs Epis. Could you find three crappy Gibsons hanging up on the wall of GC any day of the week? Of course. Unfortunately he stops there, grabs a couple of Epis & lives happily ever after. Imho, this fellow contributed a lot more to the discussion than someone just posting "troll."

I had an '89 sycamore J-100, and an '01 J-200, and played them side by side for a year or two before finally deciding to give up the '89. The sound of the '01 just suited my ears a bit more than the '89, it was a little "fuller" sounding, a bit more articulate bass.

This is similar to my own experience. I had a mahogany bodied '96 J100, owned & played alongside an '00 J100 with a maple body. The '00 eventually won out & is still with me. Also have owned a J150, J50, and WM45, and my current '02 J45 Rosewood, all from the years '01 to '03. Some very nice instruments are available from that era.

Was in the San Antonio GC day before yesterday. They had 4 Gibsons and a couple of dozen Martins and Taylors. I didn't have time to mess with the Martins or Taylors - but found the Gibsons to be fine. The only problem - the strings were obviously crusty coated in something. Pre-rust, advanced tarnish or finger cheese from teenage shredders - I don't know. They sell string polish/cleaner - one would think they'd wipe down the strings on $3K instruments once a week. Especially on day one of their big sale weekend. Their H'bird pro vintage was great. Doesn't compare to my H'bird TV, of course. My student has an Epi H'bird. The poster earlier who wrote he struck out 3 out of 3 with Gibsons and bought 2 Epis that were better is obviously a troll and ignoring negative behaviour is silly. Excusing it as his legitimate opinion is as well, if 99% of the people here have had better experience. I personally believe a 50/50 guestimate is also unfounded. My experience, while limited, would put the probablilty of hitting a good J200 at around 90%. I have a 2004 SJ200 and it would make you cry to hear it. In a good way, of course.

The poster earlier who wrote he struck out 3 out of 3 with Gibsons and bought 2 Epis that were better is obviously a troll and ignoring negative behaviour is silly. Excusing it as his legitimate opinion is as well, if 99% of the people here have had better experience. I personally believe a 50/50 guestimate is also unfounded. My experience, while limited, would put the probablilty of hitting a good J200 at around 90%.

And one could easily dismiss your optimistic opinion of a 90% positive rate based on, as you yourself say, limited experience. The Epi guy is as entitled to express his sub-par Gibson outcomes as you are in expressing your good fortune. The OP can then factor all responses into the mix and go from there. We all have differing criteria in what would make a great or mediocre sounding J200. Then start factoring in build quality issues, where one poor ripple of finish can drive someone away while the next person couldn't care less. You believe a 50/50 hit or miss guesstimate is unfounded, while in over 40 years of playing & owning a lot of Gibsons from multiple eras, that's been about right for me. You think 90% to the good is more like it. Epi guy might say 10%. In the end, the OP can consider this broad palate, but what's truly "silly" is pulling out the troll label at the drop of a hat.

I have heard some awesome(to my ears anyway)J-200's that I would have bought had I had the jack at the time. I am in a similar boat, wanting a J-185ec Rosewood. I am in the beginning research stage but can't really find viable reviews. Local shops have many J-45's but few if any 185's to sample. I don't know a whole lot about anything but if something sounds good to your ear and you want it, buy it.

... The Epi guy is as entitled to express his sub-par Gibson outcomes as you are in expressing your good fortune. The OP can then factor all responses into the mix and go from there. ...

It seems you miss the point. Is it possible to buy three bum Gibsons in a row? Sure. Is there any reason to believe EpiAlan bought three bum Gibsons in a row? No.

Trolls tell the truth when it suits their purposes, and they flat out lie when it suits their purposes. That's why it's important to recognize that the guy is a troll and to appropriately discount his testimony. The evidence that he's a troll is not that what he said is impossible (or even that it's unlikely).

Unfortunately, trolls derive some sustenance from meta-discussions of their trollish behavior -- not as much as they do from replies, but some -- so I'm not going to say any more on the subject.

-- Bob R

I don't know anything about the guy who bought three "junk" Gibsons being a troll. I haven't got a clue. I simply don't believe the story. If it did happen, he's leaving things out. Like, what did Gibson do about these issues? Was Gibson even involved? If not, why not? The pick guard design wearing off a J200 in two years-----My J150 has the painted-on design on the pickguard. This will wear-off if one doesn't take steps to protect it. However, I'm under the impression that the J200 has the pickguard where the design is engraved into the material. If that is what his J200 had, you would need a cheese grater to wear that off so quickly. I don't know. I just think the story sounds like something you'd find on the site of some guy in Vegas who hates Gibsons (ed roma? or rome..something like that).

Anyway, my advice is: if at all possible, play a guitar before you buy it. No matter what the brand is........Now I got lucky with my J150. It came straight from Bozman to GC. I even got to talk with a guy at Gibson before they shipped it and he asked me what kind of a setup I wanted.. I got a good one, but I still feel sorry for the folks who bought the next three.

Fear not new Gibson fans my new SJ-200 is anything but filled with socks!!! It sings like no guitar I've ever heard in my life! I was worried when I read this thread but thankfully at least in my case it was not true.

Do you like it (guessing the new one is maple)better than your rosewood one? Or is the new one the Rosewood one?

I more than like it I love it! The new one is the Rosewood one! I have a sound clip on a thread in this forum titled NGD Custom SJ-200 if u want to hear it.

As for answering the question in the title of this thread I am happy to say 0% but that is strictly my personal experience only! Lol!

The guitar I was considering is that 2004 SJ200 Vine located in Japan which is on ebay.

They put it on "sale" for $800 less.. I figured if I sold a couple of things & they knocked off another $500 I could swing it.

But I realized that the guitar could have been bought new in shoppes back then for around that same amount the are selling it for now, but it is not new & not with warranty..I changed my mind.

My interest in it was this.

To me the J200 is the most attractive guitar ever designed..With this inlay along all the edges,extra figured wood,ebony bridge & fingerboard it just about is the best looking version of the best looking guitar (though Id rather have Crown inlays and that L5 Vase)..

But to me Gibson & Martin..from a good amount of experience..and Taylor,Santa Cruz,Collings...lesser experience..are only good average acoustic guitars.

From the only one pre 1945 Gibson acoustic & quite a few Martins..those old guitars were magic.

Im not an acoustic guitar player anyway..strings that start going over .009 set & I start struggling. The L5 for some strange reason is the exception which I do not understand..feeling like that with .011 guage strings ?

But the post 2004 Lowden,the Huss & Daltons I tried 4 years ago,a Moll,and a Carlo Greco..are on a different level.

The trouble and care that goes into a guitar in a shoppe with 10 guys or in some cases one guy makes a difference.

I only write this in case someone with an arsenal of the pre mentioned brands but feels like something is missing...try some of those.

Still..though I know the Lowden I have is the acoustic instrument Ive been after for 30 years and is "the one"..kind of like my wife of these last 30 years..

It does not stop me from wanting to screw around with a 29 year Madonna..(the SJ200 Vine) ..and Angelina Jolie (J200 Rosewood) : )

I more than like it I love it! The new one is the Rosewood one! I have a sound clip on a thread in this forum titled NGD Custom SJ-200 if u want to hear it.

As for answering the question in the title of this thread I am happy to say 0% but that is strictly my personal experience only! Lol!

Congratulations..the more you play it the more it will open up.Im looking for your clip now.

All the best with much happiness.

Archived