Gibson Brands Forums

A beginner's Electric set-up.

20_Gauge

I just got my first guitar(an Epi Acoustic) & I'm already thinking about gettin' an Epi Electric. I'm seriously lookin' at the Epiphone Les Paul Special II (Vintage Sunburst), it's a great price & it's got that awesome Les Paul look. Don't know much about amps, I've bookmarked 2: Fender Frontman 10G or Peavey Backstage. I'd like to get some input(or recommendations) about which amp would be a good value for a beginner. Prob'ly will get these: Pro Co Excelline Guitar Cable (10' straight to straight).

Thouhgts? Does this sound reasonable?

Get an amp with a reverb - it's worth the extra $. Frontman 15R will be OK. Peavey Backstage is good. A used Peavey Vypyr 15 is even better if you can find one.

In the same price range as the Peavey Viper 15:

Fender Mustang I (modeling amp):

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Mustang-I-20W-1x8-Guitar-Combo-Amp-106197130-i1557505.gc

mustangI_th._SL365_.jpg

Love my Mustang I. With the Fuse software you can download from your computer thousands of presets, or tweak your own and then download it. I have only played for about 3 months but I know that for $99 this is one of the best amps you can get for sound and features.

Quick responses, thanks guys.

I have already been lookin' @ the 3 amps y'all mentioned & I have no problem spendin' a couple extra $$ if it's worth it. Will prob'ly end up going with the Fender Mustang I($109 on sweetwater.com).

Now that I got input & settled on an amp, what y'all think of the Les Paul Special II that I'm lookin' at? Is it worth gettin'?

While lookin' at the Mustang I($109), I saw the Fender Frontman 25R($99) & noticed it has 5 more watts & is $10 cheaper. Which ! has more bang for my buck, the Mustang I or the Frontman 25R?

I have already been lookin' @ the 3 amps y'all mentioned & I have no problem spendin' a couple extra $$ if it's worth it. Will prob'ly end up going with the Fender Mustang I($109 on sweetwater.com).

Now that I got input & settled on an amp, what y'all think of the Les Paul Special II that I'm lookin' at? Is it worth gettin'?

I had a Special II and still have a Special I. I thought the Special II had some really dull pickups and a bland sound. The Special I on the otherhand, I can't say enough how much I love this cheap little guitar with the P-90s (P-100s really) Sounds great, plays great. For $129 or less, this guitar cannot be beat! It does come with some really cheesy tuners and a wrap around bridge though. But overall this is a great value.

The Mustang I has:

24 built-in effects including chorus, flanging, phasing, tremolo, vibratone, step filter, reverb, echo, octaver and more - 12 modulation effects and 12 delay and reverb effects in all.

The Frontman 25R has:

Reverb

To me it's no contest as far as a 'bedroom playing' amp. I'm not sure either amp would be suitable for band rehearsal.

What kind of music do you like?

I'm goin' into this amp thing blind, I have no idea what all that stuff means.

Country/Southern Rock. Which one would you get for just bedroom playing or just knockin out tunes?

I have already been lookin' @ the 3 amps y'all mentioned & I have no problem spendin' a couple extra $ if it's worth it. Will prob'ly end up going with the Fender Mustang I($109 on sweetwater.com).

Much depends on your budget to get started. However, as your skill and desire for making music increases you will most likely want higher quality etc. I started with a low end Squier Strat guitar as a trial to see if I really wanted to learn to play the guitar. I found that in a few short months I really wanted higher quality etc. Whatever you select, by all means go to your local store and get it in your hands and try it out. Buy local!!! You can read about so many mail-order places with good prices, but when you need support there is nothing like a local store. I found that the nut width was important for my hands -- the Strat was narrower than the Epiphone, also the finger board radius. I can play the 12" finger board on my Epi and Gibson guitars much better than the 9.5" radius finger board on the Squier strat.

Back to your selection -- be sure it has the look and feel you are wanting before you buy!

I had a Special II and still have a Special I. I thought the Special II had some really dull pickups and a bland sound. The Special I on the otherhand, I can't say enough how much I love this cheap little guitar with the P-90s (P-100s really) Sounds great, plays great. For $129 or less, this guitar cannot be beat! It does come with some really cheesy tuners and a wrap around bridge though. But overall this is a great value.

I don't see a Special I, I'm lookin' on sweetwater.com, do ya mean a Les Paul Junior(http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-lp-junior-special-electric-guitar)? $129 price tag sounds good, where did ya get it?

Much depends on your budget to get started. However, as your skill and desire for making music increases you will most likely want higher quality etc. I started with a low end Squier Strat guitar as a trial to see if I really wanted to learn to play the guitar. I found that in a few short months I really wanted higher quality etc. Whatever you select, by all means go to your local store and get it in your hands and try it out. Buy local!!! You can read about so many mail-order places with good prices, but when you need support there is nothing like a local store. I found that the nut width was important for my hands -- the Strat was narrower than the Epiphone, also the finger board radius. I can play the 12" finger board on my Epi and Gibson guitars much better than the 9.5" radius finger board on the Squier strat.

Back to your selection -- be sure it has the look and feel you are wanting before you buy!

Thanks for the advice. Yeah, I've already been to the local George's Music in my area to look around & talk to the guys & the assured me that any guitar I get that they'll check it over for me.

I looked over numerous Acoustics(all brands) before choosing my Epi EJ-200 Artist Natural Finish. Love the look & classic style.

I don't see a Special I, I'm lookin' on sweetwater.com, do ya mean a Les Paul Junior(http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-lp-junior-special-electric-guitar)? $129 price tag sounds good, where did ya get it?

Two similar but different guitar models.

I got mine at Guitar Center

SPecial I

Mine is the one with the P-90 (Single coil) pickups. They also have a humbucker (double coil) version.

Great, thanks fretter. I'll check some other stores for it, don't really want the Cherry finish. Let me know if you see it in Ebony or Vintage Sunburst.

They come in three colors. I have the flat black but there's the cherry and TV yellow.

I like the looks of the flat black but didn't see it on the GC site. Did you get it there?

Yes, I did get mine at GC.

I just checked their site and they are only showing that one color available for the P-90 version. They do show the black red and yellow for the humbucker version though. You might want to give customer seervice a call and ask if they still have any of the black ones left.

Yes, I did get mine at GC.

I just checked their site and they are only showing that one color available for the P-90 version. They do show the black red and yellow for the humbucker version though. You might want to give customer seervice a call and ask if they still have any of the black ones left.

Thanks, I'll do that when I get ready to buy an Electric. I'm just forward thinkin' now & gettin' information, not plannin' to buy until I get the basics down on my Acoustic.

I've searched the 'net & have only found the Worn Cherry version, found 1 store that shows the Worn Black but it says it's "not available to buy". Oh well, wasn't buyin' now anyway.

I just checked the status of my shipped EJ & UPS has moved up my delivery date, scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. I ordered some accessories(capo, 2in poly strap, picks & a pick holder) off ebay that won't be delivered 'til Mon(5/21). I'm plannin' to get a hardcase & a stand soon.

I'm goin' into this amp thing blind, I have no idea what all that stuff means.

Country/Southern Rock. Which one would you get for just bedroom playing or just knockin out tunes?

The amp choices look good but, on a Les Paul, a set neck is a better long-term prospect. If you can't stretch to a LP Studio, for your musical tastes, have you thought about a telecaster clone? Xavier seem to get a very good write up and this one is very well spec'd (woods and components) for the price:

http://www.guitarfetish.com/XV-820-Solid-Ash-Butterscotch-maple-Neck_p_975.html#

The amp choices look good but, on a Les Paul, a set neck is a better long-term prospect. If you can't stretch to a LP Studio, for your musical tastes, have you thought about a telecaster clone? Xavier seem to get a very good write up and this one is very well spec'd (woods and components) for the price:

http://www.guitarfetish.com/XV-820-Solid-Ash-Butterscotch-maple-Neck_p_975.html#

Thanks for your input & the LP advice, Alan. [thumbup]

What's the difference between a set neck & a bolt-on(like on this LP: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-les-paul-express-electric-guitar), what's your opinion of this one?

LP Studios are kinda outta my price range(looking for a good Electric < $200). I have given some thought to a Tele.

Not gonna be gettin' an Electric for some while, I'm just gatherin' info from experinced players.

Thanks for your input & the LP advice, Alan. [thumbup]

What's the difference between a set neck & a bolt-on(like on this LP: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-les-paul-express-electric-guitar), what's your opinion of this one?

LP Studios are kinda outta my price range(looking for a good Electric < $200). I have given some thought to a Tele.

Not gonna be gettin' an Electric for some while, I'm just gatherin' info from experinced players.

Well, 20. A Les Paul is known for its fat, resonant tone and the glued in (set) neck gives it part of that tone, together with improved (compared to a bolt on neck) upper fret access....which ain't great on a LP to start with. However, it is said that a well fitted bolt on neck gives just as good sustain but I think, on a LP, the set neck just makes it "true to type", more desirable and worthy of upgrades. For a beginner, the problem with a LP is that they're not that good value to start with because they take more effort to make. This is because of the carved maple cap, plastic neck and body binding, angled back headstock and set neck (BTW, that angled headstock is VERY fragile.) Also, even with the Epi LP you'll pay just a little bit more because it is an "authorised" LP which makes it that bit more desirable. Now that tele I posted earlier is a lot, lot easier and cheaper to make and doesn't have the brand name factor. What they've done though is put some pretty good hardware and woods in there and that's what makes it look an interesting purchase.

Hopefully, the above info also goes some way in to answering your question about that used Dean LP copy you've found.

Well, 20. A Les Paul is known for its fat, resonant tone and the glued in (set) neck gives it part of that tone, together with improved (compared to a bolt on neck) upper fret access....which ain't great on a LP to start with. However, it is said that a well fitted bolt on neck gives just as good sustain but I think, on a LP, the set neck just makes it "true to type", more desirable and worthy of upgrades. For a beginner, the problem with a LP is that they're not that good value to start with because they take more effort to make. This is because of the carved maple cap, plastic neck and body binding, angled back headstock and set neck (BTW, that angled headstock is VERY fragile.) Also, even with the Epi LP you'll pay just a little bit more because it is an "authorised" LP which makes it that bit more desirable. Now that tele I posted earlier is a lot, lot easier and cheaper to make and doesn't have the brand name factor. What they've done though is put some pretty good hardware and woods in there and that's what makes it look an interesting purchase.

Hopefully, the above info also goes some way in to answering your question about that used Dean LP copy you've found.

Thanks for the great info, Alan.

I was mainly askin' about the Dean 'cause it's a good price but I don't recognize/know much 'bout that brand.

Archived