Gibson Brands Forums

The Bird has landed .....and I think its a good one.

EuroAussie

...... I'm underwhelmed. Sounds like everything is in place, no dead spots or socks, but just ..... lacks character.

Welcome to my world EA, happens to me every time with the 'birds.

Couple other points. The neck profile is a bit thinner than I would like, but ok, .... AND ... there is the darn two piece bridge and Im assuming laminate fingerboard. It doesnt really bother me, but I feel unlucky as I read they will be going back solids soon ..

The laminate one then, careful what you say now, Hogeye will be after you...... for what it's worth it's a bit of a shock initially, especially on guitars in that price-range, but its a real looker mate, I got over it with the J-50 in no time because I loved the bugger, I'm sure you will too. As for sending it back, now your hearing the sound your after, sending it back waiting on a new solid bridge run could see one land where you're underwhelmed again.

Congrats on the new bird man, I'm chuffed for you. msp_thumbup.gif

That's very interesting Bobby. I felt cerain the nut was Tusq, I still feel it is Tusq. Would be interested if Jeremy or somebody from Gibson chipped and confirmed if within 'todays' specs its bone or tusq nut.

Personally my experience has always been positive when moving towards a full bone set. However I have to give this guitar the nod before I make any adjustments.

I like the JP PB's, but I found at least with my chemistry they last a really, really short time. But if I keep the Bird' (which as of today is around 40% yes, 60% no) then I will give the JP's a go again given your glownig report Bobby.

Sounds great EA!

Re: the nut, what I thought was Tusq, was actually bone. I had a new vintage bone nut installed to replace the stock one, only to find out that the stock one was bone after all....!

The replacement 'vintage bone' nut did not quite work for me, soundwise. It looks great and all but def sounds darker to me. I will be swapping it out again soon.

As for the plastic pins......i like 'em. I got some nice bone pins to use but i feel they just seemed to 'choke' the overall sound of the guitar.... Tried 'em a few times now, same result everytime....go figure.

Right now I have a Tusq saddle installed and i gotta say....I'm liking it.....didnt think I would notice as much of a difference as I do, but def alot more 'chime' to the guitar and harmonics seem much more pronounced with the Tusq saddle than with the bone one.

Ya never know till ya try, but I will never assume that bone is gonna always make things sound better.... :P

I reckon you and I have the same ears PM ... as I wrote in Bobbys' reply after a night sleep and exactly 24 hours after right now Im swinging 40% stays, 60% goes. I will need to make more of a connection with this guitar in the next 2-3 weeks in order to justify the cost and a place in the stable.

Quite interesting, we will see how it all unravles and Ill keep you all posted how the journey unfolds ... hold on tight !

Welcome to my world EA, happens to me every time with the 'birds.

. msp_thumbup.gif

One of my main concerns would be the thinner neck, if the MC version has a fatter neck it would certainly push me in that direction.

Good luck EA, hope it comes good for you, but yes, quite a cost involved so you need to be "wow'd" by this guitar.

Suddenly I could hear character, wood, depth, sweet honey (yay!) and realised that this guitar absolutely and utterly HATES bright or ultra fresh strings.

I have an almost full set of 5 14-month old strings which you could have. They'll cost you though... [flapper] [flapper]

Send the guitar back…

I don't think that you will be happy with it. There are too many things you didn't like.

Better you try to play 2 or 3 side by side and get one you like from begin.

Just my 2 cents

.... I'm sure that it will get better as it took my new Dove (now 12 months old) almost a year to really make me feel like I hadn't made a mistake. I had faith & glad I did. Just LOVE it now. Plays wonderful, sounds better each month. Hang in there. If it sounds that good out of the chute I think you've got a real keeper. ....

Patience . . . I like that story.

EA - It's a very reasonable plan you have. If you have the time, I'd love an update on it now and then - it's always interesting to follow this process.

Markus, sending it back is certainly an option I would not hesitate in taking if its not the right one. I have the luxury of 30 days and water tight returns policy back to Thomann, so we'll see how it all unfolds. btw: what happened to your J-45TV or Legend, did you sell it ?

@ BK - I will certainly keep the folks here posted, it will be an interesting journal. I have a feeling it will be a journey of discovery ...

Send the guitar back…

I don't think that you will be happy with it. There are too many things you didn't like.

Better you try to play 2 or 3 side by side and get one you like from begin.

Just my 2 cents

EA, My H'bird TV was 4 months 'new' when I got it. Had been played for sure by previous owner who decided to return it to Guitar Center. They mentioned this customer does that frequently. His loss was my gain. It sounded good when I got it - I'm sure it still had the original Masterbuilts on it - but kept getting better and better. The dillema/gamble is will it get better TO YOU? Many here expect the brand new guitar to sound great out of the box. I really don't think it's possible - because many of us have 'great' defined as a sound eminating from broken in guitars. G'luck. Sometimes a little faith helps.

One more thing EA. When mine was brand new, I too found the neck a bit slim, the playability was also affected by the string spacing at the nut, the high E string was a little close to the edge of the fretboard ( just shy of 3mm ). This made my hand feel really cramped with barre chords, trying to get the high string to sound/fret properly. There were also a few high frets. I had my luthier do a fret dress/level and also had the new nut spaced so the high E was 3.5 mm from the edge. The playabilty improved immensely. I dont find the neck feels too thin anymore, amazing what a mm here or there will do to the overall feel.

OK, bit of an update. The Bird' is starting to show her true colours. Ive been basically giving her a good bashing and the strings are starting to lose their sparkle. Now Im starting to hear much more depth in the Bird' and the inherent warmth. The feeling of tighness has lessened as the strings got warmer. So far Im liking what Im hearing.

It also reminded me that when I last played a HB TV at Thomann that Bird' had really worn strings and I was amazed how good it still sounded even with cruddy strings. Now Im starting to hear much better note seperation and the saturated mids as the new string sparkle has worn off.

Looking better, will keep you posted folks ...

Yes, I sold the J-45TV. I have the Hummingbird and thats all what I need. The Legend is my brothers guitar. They sound pretty well together…

Markus, sending it back is certainly an option I would not hesitate in taking if its not the right one. I have the luxury of 30 days and water tight returns policy back to Thomann, so we'll see how it all unfolds. btw: what happened to your J-45TV or Legend, did you sell it ?

@ BK - I will certainly keep the folks here posted, it will be an interesting journal. I have a feeling it will be a journey of discovery ...

Archived