Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphine '61 Special/ '56 LP Goldtop P-90 guitars

rednefceleb

Hey folks. I need reviews on 2 Epiphone models. They both wear P-90's. The '56 Goldtop Les Paul/ & the '61 SG Special. A guitar with P-90's would give me another sound. I am greatly impressed with my Nighthawk. I can't believe how this gem sets up. Really low action. Please send your opinions on either guitar if you own one. Thank You,

I've played the P-90 Goldtop...........STUNNING guitar.......I'm not familiar with the P-90 S.G..........

Yeah, the Nighthawks are very popular as well......Congrats....I want / need one as well....................

The goldtops are awesome! I had one and I traded it but the only reason I traded it was because I got a Gibson goldtop custom shop with hb's and a Gibson goldtop tribute with p90's. The epiiphone was awesome! It was my favorite Epi out of all the epi's I've had.

Hey folks. I need reviews on 2 Epiphone models. They both wear P-90's. The '56 Goldtop Les Paul/ & the '61 SG Special. A guitar with P-90's would give me another sound. I am greatly impressed with my Nighthawk. I can't believe how this gem sets up. Really low action. Please send your opinions on either guitar if you own one. Thank You,

Well, Red... I have one. They're a diamond in the rough. If you have the skills and a weekend you can make them really come alive, and you'll loooooove the "different" sound. I've found that my '56 prefers my '63 Vibroverb w/ 2-10's (clean) over my SFDR (with pedal board) with a Weber. P90s are a tone of their own, not like other single coils. Noisy, true, but that can be mitigated without a lot of work. Lot's of posts here in the Lounge.

_heretic

I have both. I like the (ebony) '56 LP much better. Just like an LP Std should look and feel. I upgraded the PU's, but the stock ones are decent. Very nice guitar, enjoyable to play. I was really looking forward to the '61 SG Specials, but am disappointed in the 'D' shaped neck; it's wide and thin. Too wide for small hands, but too thin to fill big hands (like mine). I have a few Epi G-400 SG's, and all have 'C' shaped necks, which are much more comfortable. I'm not entirely thrilled with the wrap-around bridge, as you can't adjust the intonation like you can with a TOM bridge/stop bar (Yeah, I know they wanted to be authentic). The '61 SG also has white binding on the neck, which looks totally out of place; just doesn't belong there. SG Std's don't have binding, why put it on a Special? The place to 'cheat' on the authenticity was the TOM bridge (which has a useful function), not the neck binding (which doesn't).

I'd like to thank everyone who advised me on the '56 Gold Top & '61 Special. I play my guitars through a 2x10" Custom Vibrolux Reverb that's been converted into the Vibroverb circuit. Best Fender tone I've ever heard. The caps are all F&T from Germany. After they were installed, I had to double check to see that it wasn't on "standby". Extremely Quiet. I super appreciate that info on the "61 Les Paul Special's neck binding. That just isn't part of a Special's or Junior's build. I love to upgrade guitars. After I 'transform' my new Night Hawk: I'm going to buy the '56 Les Paul Goldtop. There are a lot of pickup manufacturers out there, and for that guitar, I'm gonna go all out on some authentic soapbars that are running the same impedance as an actual '56 Goldie. Epiphones are fun because they can sell me authentic replicas that can be coaxed into playing and sounding like the real thing. I was amazed with the sound of that guitar on David Gilmour's DVD "Remember That Night". By the way, that's a really great DVD. I get my DVDs on Amazon 'cause they really have the best deals. They sell used ones that are like new. Peace.

Archived