Gibson Brands Forums

Lets get really deep then

Rabs

So we have seen some deeper discussions on here recently.. which is cool.. SO I thought some may be interested in this.

Its a film about Quantum Physics but the best of its kind ive seen.. Really really interesting, kind of questions to life the universe and everything where science meets philosophy. See what you think (I was hooked after 20 mins or so). Do our thoughts effect reality?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2HfKiYFo8Y

Do our thoughts effect reality? Mine do. [cool]

Now, back to watch the Deep Purple vid.

Wow, entire movies on YouTube now. They must've gotten a much wider band ( [laugh] ). I'll start this one off later today. Can't promise I'll give it 20 minutes let alone 1:48:00, but we'll see...

Love science and philosophy, the ancient Greeks rocked! Of course, they also had some strange ideas, for example, Pythagoras, of the Pythagorean theorem, once instructed his followers to "abstain from legumes" and to not "pick up what has fallen."

What was the man's problem with beans and clothes on the floor?

Strange.

Newton, for example, put into words a lotta material that had been known about mass and movement, but had not really put into relatively simple words. Einstein added some stuff that Newton hadn't really a clue about given access he had to tools and information.

You start messing with concepts of string theory, brane universes, etc., and you find it's difficult to grasp some of the potentials.

On the philosophical side, one can go along with Descartes that we only know that we have existence because we think and are self-aware.

As far as how and whether our thoughts effect universes without other action begins to get pretty deep in the sense of both science and philosophy.

I think we're all living in two worlds at least: The world of thought and conjecture, and the world in which we solve our immediate physical and psychological needs. The former and latter are tied but - we can at this point theoretically document all one's actions, but not yet one's thoughts.

Life's interesting, for sure. We're all lucky to have a culture that offers both the time for the luxury of arts and philosophy and the references to go beyond oral traditions inherent in both.

As for the ancient Greeks, Plato's "allegory of the cave" remains pretty strong in terms of consideration of where our perceptions of reality might be.

Here's one version: http://staff.imsa.edu/socsci/jvictory/historians/plato_pg.htm

or another showing the cave and considering meanings: http://faculty.washington.edu/smcohen/320/cave.htm

m

This is great! I love anything that has to do with science. I plan on majoring in physics in college next year. I find quantum physics to be absolutely fascinating! Thanks for posting this! It's great to see someone else who cares about important things like this. msp_thumbup.gifmsp_thumbup.gifmsp_thumbup.gif

EDIT: I find this to be quite relevant:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZGINaRUEkU

BTW, there are thirteen more videos like that on Youtube. Just search for Symphony Of Science.

Great stuff. Saw this in a theatre when it first came out. Didn't know what to expect. My wife, a friend, and I were the only ones seated in the theatre.

Sweet.. a private screening :)

I just love this movie.. It makes me feel so good by the end you feel like you can do anything ;)

This is great! I love anything that has to do with science. I plan on majoring in physics in college next year. I find quantum physics to be absolutely fascinating! Thanks for posting this! It's great to see someone else who cares about important things like this. msp_thumbup.gifmsp_thumbup.gifmsp_thumbup.gif

EDIT: I find this to be quite relevant:

BTW, there are thirteen more videos like that on Youtube. Just search for Symphony Of Science.

Haha.. interesting way of approching things... Morgan Freeman rocks :)

And yea I love all this sort of stuff too.. Whats really happening in the universe and here at home too.. People should watch these things just to help them understand another view point.. As it says we dont even know if theres theories are true, but just opening yourself up to the idea is what countd ;)

Quantum Physics is cool, but you have to learn Newtonian Mechanics before you can really understand much of anything about mechanics.

The other thing is, if you can't handle the math, don't even bother trying to learn physics. But if you're good at math, then physics is a great field to be in.

That was an insightful video.

[thumbup] Im glad to see people liked it... Ive watched it twice now and loved it as much the second time around.. It gives you a warm fuzzy feeling inside by the end :)

Personally I think that this sort of science that crosses over into the spiritual and human metaphysical aspects of the universe is where its at.. some of the things they talk about and that quantum science has discoered are truely mind blowing.

Archived