Gibson Brands Forums

Any seasonal players?

davidl

This may apply more to those who have property, maybe not.

Where I live, we have 4 definite seasons. During the fall, winter and spring, I tend to be indoors a lot more than summer. As the summer months roll around, there is more stuff to do around the house. I cut about 2 acres of grass once or twice a week. Gardens to tend to among other distractions that come with the nice weather. Golf, fishing, hanging out by the lake (the acoustic comes along for that).

Am I alone?

Dave

Except for the Golfing part I am the same way. I'll noodle around a bit but that's about it, got to many things to take care of.

In the North, beautiful warm days are maybe 3 months a year, I gotta be outside

Except for about a month of my rodeo season that starts June 8 here and runs through mid July, my lifestyle is pretty much unchanged as is pickin' time. Rodeo season simply means more work hours.

m

As for electric playing - not much change for me. However, I do find I will pick and listen to more folkish, countryish stuff in the winter sometimes though. I just creates the mood where I want to grab the acoustic. And I'm much more likely to crack into some Jimmy Buffet on the acoustic in the summer. It's Florida after all! [biggrin]

I play all the time. Kind of a way-of-life thing. I think in the summer I play even more, because the outdoor venues are going. One of the cool things about playing instruments as a have-fun-make-a-few-bucks musician is that there's no pressure. I play when I feel like it, and when I retire (this Friday), I'll have more time for everything I enjoy doing.

If I don't play guitar for a certain period of time, I literally lose my sanity.

When certain (I'm not gonna say who...) musicians talk about how it's better if they don't practice, it boggles me.

That's the reason why most of those musicians haven't necessarily played any "new" licks or have developed a new level of playing since their heyday.

I play all the time. Kind of a way-of-life thing. I think in the summer I play even more, because the outdoor venues are going. One of the cool things about playing instruments as a have-fun-make-a-few-bucks musician is that there's no pressure. I play when I feel like it, and when I retire (this Friday), I'll have more time for everything I enjoy doing.

Huge congrats on your retirement on Friday. [thumbup]

Looking forward to that day myself. A few years away still.

If I still lived in the country I would probably play less in the summer but I live in the city now and only go out side when I have to... besides it's Texas so there's only two seasons and the summer is freaking hot.

Between keeping up with the lawn, my love of being outdoors, and all the Bike Nights & other good reasons to be out on one of the Harley's, I play much less in the summer. More bikes in the nice weather & then they go away and the guitars get more attention. I still play a few hours each week even in the nice weather times.

Aster

Archived