Gibson Brands Forums

Bozeman Montana Era Favourites

The G

I played a 1997 J-45 recently with an orange label stating Early J-45 on it.

It had a very round neck profile unlike what I've been accustomed to with

all the J-45's I've played or owned .

It had a very warm ,loud and somewhat "overtoney" sound to it I quite liked.

I guess my question is : Have we gotten to the point in time yet where we

could pinpoint a particular year of production with the Bozeman made

guitars that stand out as being special ? Or, is it just a hit and miss depending

on the individual instrument .

This one just seemed to have all the right vibe happening.

I guess my question is : Have we gotten to the point in time yet where we

could pinpoint a particular year of production with the Bozeman made

guitars that stand out as being special ? Or, is it just a hit and miss depending

on the individual instrument .

This is a question without an answer, I think.

But not in a bad way!

I'd note that some of the early-Bozeman guitars were pretty fine. Some of these had a lot of hand work, but also experimentation in them. 1989 is certainly a year that I'd think merits some focus. My (former) 89 J-100 was such a guitar; a very nice example from the early-Bozeman production. Don't know how long that period would be extended; I would guess sometime into 1990 anyway. Examples that I've played from a year or two later were not as consistent or as nice-sounding, but maybe the ones I tried were atypical...?

Otherwise, I like the stuff from about the early 2000s to now, with increasing confidence in the later stuff.

As to 'iconic' guitars, I do like the J-1000/1500/2000 series, and the CL-40/45/50 (which became the Songwriter series) guitars from Bozeman too.

Fred

.... and the CL-40/45/50 (which became the Songwriter series) guitars from Bozeman too.

Good call, Fred! The CL line morphed into the SongBird series and then into the SongWriter. Great guitars! And now with a little age on them, they're really tone monsters now! I love my my SongBird Deluxe. It gets most of my playing time hands down.

Yeah, again, some good, some not quite.

I wanted a J-1500, Mr. Ferguson got a J-2000 to me instead. "You'll like it!", he said.

I do.

IMGP4014.jpg

Fred

I have two J1500s in burst . those were made in a very limited quanity.. and 3 J2000s 1 burst and 1 natural .... 1 being Brazilian./ natural bearclaw top . all three have the upright leaves on the bridges. they all sound great..

I've just about lost count of the number of Gibsons produced in Bozeman that I've owned over the years (I'm thinking 7) starting with a 1991 J-30 bought new back in '91. I currently own 3 Gibson acoustics: one made in 2006, one made in 2007 and one made in 2008. You might think that my answer would be that the mid-to-late 2000s era represents the best of what Bozeman can do. However, I still contend that it all comes down to the individual guitar — I'd chalk my experience up to coincidence.

I have two J1500s in burst . those were made in a very limited quanity.. and 3 J2000s 1 burst and 1 natural .... 1 being Brazilian./ natural bearclaw top . all three have the upright leaves on the bridges. they all sound great..

Very cool!

I always had a thing for the J-1500's aesthetics, and was in the process of ordering a sunburst version.

And you're right, of the three (J-1000, J-1500, and J-2000), the J-1500 seems to be the rarest by far. I played exactly one once upon a time; twas not spectacular in sound, but the looks were killer. Hence I reasoned if I ordered a new Custom one -- probably at the time some 7 or 8 years after they had made them -- my chances of getting a good sounding one would be quite high.

I'd love to see some pics, if you have them, of your J-1500s!

Did yours have the dark brown with green cases too? (I have one of those still....)

Fred

Gonna be a dumb answer because it is a guitar I have never even laid eyes on in the flesh - the Jackson Browne Signature. Other than that maybe a Legend Series L-00 (which I also have never played). I also gotta admit to having a hankering to try out one of those Keb Mo' Bluesmasters although it might take some looking the other way to overcome my distaste for Keb's brand of pop blues. Other than that I will stick with the old ones.

This is a question without an answer, I think.

I agree with that. Have played a number of Bozemans and owned a late '80s J-45 that sounded great but didn't fit my hand with a slight V profile...but my 2003 AJR that I bought new I is the best sounding dreadnaught I've ever owned & that includes a large number of good vintage Gibsons etc. I still have a couple of the latter but the AJRI is incredible and I truly haven't really fell for another dread since I bought it.

Not all Bozeman models are 'great' and I'm not sure the year matters at all IME but a good one is about as good as it gets in my book.

Archived