Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Traditional Plus - One piece of wood?

GUIBH

Hi everyone,

I was trying to identify whether my LP Trad Plus is made of one or more pieces of wood and I could not find any lines/division in its body. Is it possible that the Trad was made with only 1 piece of wood?

It's possible it has a one piece back (I've seen some and a few have been posted here), but generally Gibson is using two and three piece backs.

Did you look at the end grain along the butt end of the body? - When well matched on the back, look at the end grain where it's easier to spot a joint. Start at the strap button and look for a joint in the end grain.

You could indeed have a 1 piece body. Mine is two piece. I had to look very closely, and for a day or two I thought mine was one piece. The grain is matched very well (on mine) on the butt end, but where the neck joins the body, there is a very slight grain variation that made it finally clear that mine is 2 pieces. I could care less, as long as they are centered! If it were an edge piece that could be seen off color on the sides, I would be bummed. But overall, it plays beautifully and sounds killer. I suppose those two things are the most important ;)

One piece bodies, especially on a Les Paul, are not common. Add to the fact a lot of people here claiming their production LP has one, and I'm skeptical. One piece, one found, are usually on a higher-end model - especially with current production guitars in this time when good wood is getting harder to source. I think there are a lot of people who think they have one piece because its matched well and they don't see it when looking. Some might get lucky once in a while, but IMO there are far too many people in this thread with recent production guitars claiming one piece. I say well matched instead.

.... IMO there are far too many people in this thread with recent production guitars claiming one piece. ....

Laughable. . Three is a pretty small number. One piece bodies still do come out of the factory. And I would expect some of the members here would know how to determine if they have a one piece body or not.

And Cjmwrx posted pics of his back and the end grain - it's a one piece.

Well I posted this question a while back. My photos are on line as well. Yes there are one piece backs no question. Yes it is supposed to be rare? and yes the description on trads is one or two piece mahogany backs or it was when I first got mine anyway.It makes no difference to the sound but interesting as to the fact they do exist, just not sure why on this level LP that they would. I just purchased a 2012 standard It is two pieces of well matched mahogany but is easy to spot looking at the tail, but my Trad no question is one piece.

Anyway enjoy your new Trad!

Thanks a lot everyone.

I`m convinced my Trad is a one piece body. Here are post some pics for you, let me know what you think.

If that is confirmed it will be a nice surprise because I was not counting on it although a one piece of body is what I`ve always wanted (but I though I would only have it in a reissue or custom model).

Here are some pics. Please tell me what you think

Beautiful LP you've got there.

You should post a pic of the back - the backs are what we talk about as a one-piece body; the maple tops are two piece book matches.

While the pic of the endgrain looks good, a pic of the back is needed because sometimes Gibson glues backs together from unequal pieces - like a two piece body from a piece making 1/3 of the back and another piece making 2/3 of the back. Sometimes three pieces.

Look at Cjmwrx's pics - well centered and well lit pics of the whole straight-on view of the end-grain and the whole back.

Here are some more.. I don't think I can capture all the details, but I took it outside on the sunlight and there is no signs of pieces of wood. However, since there are several layers of paint, I don't know if it would be possible to identify it...

post-27034-007728200 1337887656_thumb.jpg

post-27034-020605400 1337887669_thumb.jpg

post-27034-026857800 1337887683_thumb.jpg

post-27034-082076600 1337887695_thumb.jpg

Here are some more.. I don't think I can capture all the details, but I took it outside on the sunlight and there is no signs of pieces of wood. However, since there are several layers of paint, I don't know if it would be possible to identify it...

It appears to be a one piece body. One pic is great, the others have reflected light on them making it more difficult to see all the graining clearly.

Pic tips - when trying to show the graining/fiquring a darker color back ground is best as it reflects less light - like a darker colored towel or fabric. Sometimes inside pics are better for this with the flash brightness turned down a bit.

I just ordered a Trad Plus in Dessert Burst yesterday, am super excited for this guitar to arrive!! I like my Classic Custom, I LOVE my JB Studio, and I think this axe will be a perfect compliment to the JB... similar neck, classic 57's, flame top... should be a looker and a sweet playing axe!!! Will most definitely post pics when it arrives, damn this GAS is getting out of control... I need an intervention.

NONE of them were 1 piece of wood. They were all assembled from parts. They used to make a clear finished LP in the '80's, IIRC, and they look like a big puzzle, all glued together.

mark

Archived