Gibson Brands Forums

Body Contour

I recently purchased a new LP Studio Faded (brown) guitar. I love the look and tone of the guitar and the feel of the neck. As I play, sitting down for hours at a time though, the lack of a contoured body leaves me sore where the sharp top edge of the guitar back digs into my ribs. I've actually thought about taking a bandsaw to that troublesome edge ( I can hear the gasps of horror from here). There is no binding to worry about but I do have a concern about the chambered body and the possibility of actually cutting into a routed opening. I know I'll be kissing the warranty goodbye but I need some relief. Has anybody attempted this before or has anybody found a better solution (other than a pillow or switching back to Fender)? Do you think the removal of about an inch of wood (a 45 degree cut along the back-top edge where the guitar meets my ribs) would have any adverse effect on the sustain of the guitar? I don't have this problem with my acoustic which has a wider body and hits me higher up under my arm, or my bass which is contoured. Any thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yep, sng, I've thought many times about doing this to several different guitars. Your concerns about cutting right into a chamber make sense and I bet if you're patient someone on this forum will have the answer. But the cut you're proposing doesn't sound like it would go into the body very far...you just want to remove that back edge. To be conservative, instead of cutting maybe you you could work slowly with an electric sander, starting with coarse sand paper, instead of cutting?

Regarding changing the body of this fine guitar, well there are probably many guitarists who would want this comfort contour. Yours would have this unique advantage should you ever want to sell it and the only loss I can see is a down the road loss of true vintage value.

Do what pleases you most and enjoy.

Cheers,

Yep, sng, I've thought many times about doing this to several different guitars. Your concerns about cutting right into a chamber make sense and I bet if you're patient someone on this forum will have the answer. But the cut you're proposing doesn't sound like it would go into the body very far...you just want to remove that back edge. To be conservative, instead of cutting maybe you you could work slowly with an electric sander, starting with coarse sand paper, instead of cutting?

Regarding changing the body of this fine guitar, well there are probably many guitarists who would want this comfort contour. Yours would have this unique advantage should you ever want to sell it and the only loss I can see is a down the road loss of true vintage value.

Do what pleases you most and enjoy.

Cheers,

you're both mad! [lol]

Thanks for the input. In the end I decided against trying to contour the body and bought another Strat, a new American Deluxe with the noiseless N3 pickups. That solved the original 60 cycle hum problem and the sore rib problem. I've got the LP listed on Craig's List but I wouldn't mind if it didn't sell. I still love the tones available with those pickups. Keith

Archived