Gibson Brands Forums

Rosewood and Mahogany...which is best for vocals?

EpiAlan

And I thought this was meant to be a thread about rosewood or mahogany being better for vocalists .... ? :blink:

Yes but in our quest for knowledge we've found out we've all wasted our money, all along all we needed was an Epi Masterbilt.... msp_scared.gif

Instead of an AJ with Mahogany I would suggest A Hummingbird or J-45. Both great guitars and it would offer another tonal palette that would give you options for different songs or depending how you feel on a given evening. Each type will also sit differently in a mix with other instruments.

Hope this helps some.

JM

Jeremy. I agree totally! And thank you, you have helped very much indeed! I really value open mined opinions on these matters! Hummingbirds have a tone that just seems to complement the voice,warm and rich... not to mention they are utterly beautiful looking guitars.I imagine it has a lot to do with the mahogany and bracing. Few guitar makers manufacture more beautiful looking guitars than Gibson does! Gibson wrote the book on original looking guitars! I do know that I have stated many times, that my guitar acquisition syndrome (GAS)..was over. But a good Gibson Hummingbird could easily bring in on all over again!! LOL!They are very special looking! And when ever I see one, I just can't take my eyes off of it. Uh Oh...Where are my rolaids?!!!

I agree with Jeremy. Both these guitars are outstanding to accompany a singer. Personlly I much prefer mahogany as I find the rosewood overtones compete too much with the human voice (unless you have one of this whiney high pitched Neil Yong type voices), while mahogany sort of plays a 'supporting' role to the vocalist.

I know my singer for example hates it when I take the rosewood SWD to gigs and wants to give me a big hug when I take an SJ.

EuroAussie...I agree totally about the overtones on a rosewood...while beautiful and complex, they do seem to tend to sort of over ride the voice at times, on certain songs and music.

Hey,

Just want to say glad you're happy with your epi, had a couple of epi's in the past but never a masterbuilt.

I must say Epiphones have never grabbed me, but i also hear a lot of people saying the same thing about gibsons and other makes, so yes it's horse's for courses.

How ever much someone pays for a guitar is neither hear nor there, especially with the great return polices of most stores.

Back to the topic, I like rosewood for singing to, maybe it's the over tones that hide my terrible voice :)

Epiphone Alan, I would point out that the context of your original comment here was taken by many of us in light of your earlier comments on another thread re. J200s - that you bought 3 Gibsons and they were all bad, and then bought 2 Epis and they were fantastic and better. You appear to be as guilty of Epiphone worship as you accuse us of being over Gibsons. Difference is - this is the Gibson Acoustic Forum. You are more active on the Epiphone Formum. It is possible, as one of us noted here - you are singing to the wrong choir on this forum. To expand on an earlier metaphor - if you went on a BMW forum and said you bought three that were junk and then bought a Camry that was better - you would have gotten the same response. Sorry - but that is human nature, and has nothing to do with money. Backpedalling by suggesting you might now want a Gibson H'bird, after your earlier comments only comes across as insincere. I would guess you would wind up with the Epi Bird instead! I've been very close a few times to purchasing Masterbuilts, but finally, always, decided that I'd bite the bullet and get a Gibson I was more comfortable with. I think that your point could have been stated more sensitively stated as "Epiphones are better values, while Gibsons are better guitars." Of course - the main point is that you've found your keeper, and I am certain we are very, very happy for you - we've all been there and know exactly how you feel. G'Luck!

I will repeat what I have heard and learned while shopping for acoustics. A mahogany guitar typically has a warmer mid tone than a rosewood which has a really nice low end tone. A rosewood body, say with a spruce top which gives high end clarity, has great low and top end tone but has a "scooped out" midrange that a mahogany typically fills. A voice is a mid-range "instrument" which would compliment the lower mids of rosewood.

Archived