Gibson Brands Forums

Made a decision on the Bird' ... and result is ...

EuroAussie

ITS A KEEPER !

The last 24 hours convinced me the Bird' is THE Bird'.

Realised the issue was the new strings. Now 4 days after and the after the fresh string sparkle has all but disappeared the real character of the guitar emerged.

Exactly what I recalled from playing a few 60's Bird's recently in London. The warmth, note seperation and those honey glazed saturated mids came out in droves. The overall volume of the guitar dropped but the depth, richness and projection (focus) really emerged.

I constantly A/B'd it agains the SJ and the J-150 and can really hear the character and individuality of the guitar. It indeed does have a place in the stable. Has the lushness of the J-150 combined with the focus of the SJ, but with her own charm.

Also, the string warmth took a lot of the hardness out of the tone, and really softened her up. I can really now hear also the potential and where the development of this guitar is heading.

In particular the decision was made after I ran through these two songs .... Sheryl Crows "If it makes you happy' as we will cover it soon with Mrs EA and of course the Stones, but Wild Horses this time. It was right on the money.

One thing to point out, the Bird prefers a somewhat thicker pick to get through the nectar, so I went from a .71 to .96 and it feel spot on. Also she probably doesnt record as well with the older strings then fresh ones, but from a players point of view really gives me the tummy rubles.

So, big relief, will get the pickup installed to cement the deal and hopefully do the frist gig next Friday with the Cowboy hat !

Thanks a lot to all your feedback and point of view folks. Its been a very interesting experience !

cheers,

EA

ITS A KEEPER !

The last 24 hours convinced me the Bird' is THE Bird'.

That's nice when it all comes together, Mark -- I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but Hummingbirds are just real fine guitars when they're good 'uns!

Now you'll have to go get an Amulet system installed, eh! :-)

Fred

Great tone on the video and the notes are separated nicely.

Glad you found satisfaction. . (HA!)

I wouldn't be surprised if she opens up more for you over the next few weeks.

You have your 'Bird - congrats EA. . B)

I said the bird, bird, bird

Bird is the word!

[flapper]

Congrats! Glad this worked out for you. You must be very excited (and relieved) now!

This is one of the things that makes buying an acoustic much harder than buying an electric. String brand and age make such a huge difference on the tone of an acoustic. If you only get a 3 day return policy, that is not enough time to really get to know what the guitar will sound like with different strings once they are broken it. I am glad some retailers have moved to a 30 day return policy.

I had a similar experience a few years ago when I bought my AJ. I tried out all three of them that Guitar Center had in stock and bought the one that had the deepest, richest sound. However, after some time at home I was not convinced I made the right choice. I actually took the guitar back to GC and a/b/c'ed it again against the other two guitars, after I had changed the strings and given them some time to break in. That second round of comparison convinced me that I made the right choice. That was nearly 3 1/2 years ago, and I still love that guitar. It has opened up nicely and continues to sound better and better with time. I am sure that will happen with your Bird as well.

I think thats a good choice on your part.

It sounds good too.

You been gassing for a 'bird like this for a long time, as well as having issues with wet-noodle examples here and there. This is the opposite. THIS is the one you were looking for.

The fact that in some ways seemed to go too far in the direction you wanted is not a bad thing, but a good thing. Not only are you in a different perspective as a result, but you have so much of what you wanted now you are in a position to explore MORE tonal oppurtunities because you no longer are making attempts to get out of a guitar what this gives you in abundance.

Also, I believe that not only is owning a guitar a tool for performing, it is a tool for learning. Whenever we get the chance to OWN a great instrument, we can learn things from it. I think this is the guitar for you in that regard as well.

Now that you have decided to own it, you can start messing with it. You can perhaps do things that take the tone in directions that you couldn't with other guitars. Like maybe a smoother sounding materiel for the bridge, or smoother strings. Ivory?

Yeps – the guitar sounds absolutely right for this phase. There's bass'n'glaze - wood'n'mood.

I still wish you both the best. The path forward will be one of passion, excitement, mystery and bliss. . . .

And as you know – take a look out beyond that wing-tip in the direction of the sun.

Another flyer just like you, , , , it's E-minor7 ~

Realised the issue was the new strings. Now 4 days after and the after the fresh string sparkle has all but disappeared the real character of the guitar emerged.

I can now stop preaching to the converted. Trying to properly assess the sound of a guitar with brand new strings is a waste of time in my opinion.

Thanks a lot guys, yes, big relief and have to say it feels ... right.

Really looking forward to putting the pickup inside her and going on the road ... ok, to the pub gig at least.

One thing of note that really surprised me was when I decided to take out the bone pins in the SWD and replace the plastic pins in the TV. I was astonished at the change in tone, for the worse. The tone became much clearer, and thinner, just not appealing at all.

Lesson learnt, sometimes bone might not be the ideal option, and in this case maybe the plastic pins help achieve that vague honey bunny tone. As soon as I plut the plastic pins back the tone returned. Very interesting, who would have thought, just from bridge pins ?? [blink]

Anway, will try to record the gig next Friday and post a couple clips to show how the plugged in tone works.

Thanks again for all your support and feedback as always !

EA

Hey Euro,

I didn't want to say when you was talking about strings the in the original thread cause i'm still unsure, but I think the same things happened to me? After 1 week the 80/20's that i put on her now sound a lot better. Thing is I moved the guitar to a bedroom, that stays at the same temp and humidity, so I thought it could have been that? Or it could have been the strings all along as they never sounded bright.

Well that shows i'm still confused, lol. Glad that you got "the bird" though :)

Trying to properly assess the sound of a guitar with brand new strings is a waste of time in my opinion.
Would go further and say it takes more than a day or too to assess a git. While first impressions are often on the mark, it takes a few weeks and a live outing or two to pin it down (try telling that to the shop mgr, however). I'm thinking in part of a recently sold Martin 000. Great sound, but when I stepped up to sing with it for the first time, it was like the floor fell out from under--no vocal pad. I try to remind myself to sing in stores now as part of a test drive.

Had to make some insurance pics, so I thought Id pop them up here. Have to say one thing I do love bout the Birds burst is how the cherry / sun burst changes across the day depending on how much light is in the room. Quite exotic ..

IMG_4075.jpg

IMG_4078.jpg

IMG_4079.jpg

Next to the older Uncle

IMG_4080.jpg

Archived