Gibson Brands Forums

1961 Anniv ltd edition SG

Erik0913

Just wanted to ask about others experience with this guitar?? I just purchased one in TV yellow after A/B tests with a like Gibson model and have to say that this guitar is way out infront. The feel of the neck is amazing. The fit and finish was so much better than the Gibson model and the sound of the p-90s just sealed the deal. it was a no brainer as to which one was going home with me.

Epiphone really has come along way and the quality of their instruments is amazing for what you are paying. I would have paid twice what I paid for this guitar its that good.

I have one of these as well. It is a good guitar and I like the sound of the P90 pickups alot. The fit and finish is good, but I found a couple of weird incinsistencies with mine. No big deal and not really noticablr unless you go over it with a magnifying glass. I will say that it is not the easiest guitar to play that I own though. MIne needs a bit of a fret leveling in the upper register.

I don't like the D shaped neck on mine; wide but thin. Doesn't fill my hand. The binding on the neck looks out of place, doesn't belong on a Special with a wrap-over bridge. I urged Epiphone to introduce this model several years ago (I'm sure many other guys did too), but they went off track with the neck shape and binding.

I don't like the D shaped neck on mine; wide but thin. Doesn't fill my hand. The binding on the neck looks out of place, doesn't belong on a Special with a wrap-over bridge. I urged Epiphone to introduce this model several years ago (I'm sure many other guys did too), but they went off track with the neck shape and binding.

Cant tell you about the neck radius but the Gibson vintage 1961 that I saw with a tv Yellow finish had a bound neck. This Epiphone is spot on even down to the tuners to that very guitar.

I respect you opinion on the neck shape. Personally, I like it. Its the same shape on my G-310, S-500, EBM and PR4-E. I am very accustomed to it and actually prefer it as I have been using this neck shape for 20 years. My daughter's SG Junior has the C-shape. And while it doesnt feel bad either, it does take a bit for me to get used to it.

As far as the binding goes, claiming that Epiphone went off track regarding this is incorrect. Look up any 1961 Gibson SG Special and you will see neck binding on every single one of them. Epiphone stayed true to the original when they included the neck binding on this model. From what I have seen, the models that didnt have binding were the Juniors and whatever model or year Gibson used a stopbar/tailpiece bridge on their P90 SGs.

GIS for 1961 Gibson SG Special

A genuine '61 SG I mentioned a while ago, that sold for $umpty-thousand, definitely had neck binding and it appeared to be painted wood (white, same color as the neck and body).

IIRC it was Mary Ford's SG.

Bill

I respect you opinion on the neck shape. Personally, I like it. Its the same shape on my G-310, S-500, EBM and PR4-E. I am very accustomed to it and actually prefer it as I have been using this neck shape for 20 years. My daughter's SG Junior has the C-shape. And while it doesnt feel bad either, it does take a bit for me to get used to it.

As far as the binding goes, claiming that Epiphone went off track regarding this is incorrect. Look up any 1961 Gibson SG Special and you will see neck binding on every single one of them. Epiphone stayed true to the original when they included the neck binding on this model. From what I have seen, the models that didnt have binding were the Juniors and whatever model or year Gibson used a stopbar/tailpiece bridge on their P90 SGs.

I like the 61 SG, the neck profile is the same as the SC Special they released a couple of years ago. Now if they had only put neck binding and strip tuners on the specials! We can alway mod though.

Hello, new guy here!

I'm also a happy owner of an alpine white 61 special. I have it for 6 months now, and I wanna say something about pro's and cons' of my guitar, at lest my particular experience:

I also have a 2008 G400, so I have something to compare it to.

the good:

- amazingly 'historically correct' details, including neck binding, body shape, control cavitiy...

- neck profile is perfect, for me at least.

- good fret job, you can have ridiculously low action with no buzz. Beautiful rosewood too.

- excellent quality tuners, at least as good or better than epi's grovers

- very resonant ascoustically, much more than my g400 - dunno if that's becouse of the wrap-around or better materials?

the bad-

- paintwork on the headstock, where the white meets the black is pretty sloppy - it's perfect everywhere else though...

- nut was somewhat roughly finished, though it didn't go out of tune, and I always put a graph tech tusq nut on anyway...

- intonation - absolutely perfect with 11s or 12s (standard tuning), but with 10s, which I use, the low E and A are a bit flat at 12th string, despite bridge being as close to the neck as possible...

- so far I'm the only one who's not that wild about the pickups (bridge at least),

it's got powerful low-end, but not enough mids and too strat-like highs for my taste.

This might be my own fault though. You see, I changed pots and did a gibson 50s wiring scheme on my G400, and it drastically improved the sound.

So I did the same with the 61' special on day 3, before I really got familiar with it... And now it's a bit harsh sounding.

The thing is, I forgot to writhe down the diagram of the original wiring, so I can't go back now.

Might try 'gibson modern wiring'...

Or if any of you could post the original wiring here? :-&

Anyway, despite the minor flaws, this is still a great buy. Plus, I always like to tinker around & mod things, whether they need it or not [biggrin]

Hello, new guy here!

I'm also a happy owner of an alpine white 61 special. I have it for 6 months now, and I wanna say something about pro's and cons' of my guitar, at lest my particular experience:

I also have a 2008 G400, so I have something to compare it to.

the good:

- amazingly 'historically correct' details, including neck binding, body shape, control cavitiy...

- neck profile is perfect, for me at least.

- good fret job, you can have ridiculously low action with no buzz. Beautiful rosewood too.

- excellent quality tuners, at least as good or better than epi's grovers

- very resonant ascoustically, much more than my g400 - dunno if that's becouse of the wrap-around or better materials?

the bad-

- paintwork on the headstock, where the white meets the black is pretty sloppy - it's perfect everywhere else though...

- nut was somewhat roughly finished, though it didn't go out of tune, and I always put a graph tech tusq nut on anyway...

- intonation - absolutely perfect with 11s or 12s (standard tuning), but with 10s, which I use, the low E and A are a bit flat at 12th string, despite bridge being as close to the neck as possible...

- so far I'm the only one who's not that wild about the pickups (bridge at least),

it's got powerful low-end, but not enough mids and too strat-like highs for my taste.

This might be my own fault though. You see, I changed pots and did a gibson 50s wiring scheme on my G400, and it drastically improved the sound.

So I did the same with the 61' special on day 3, before I really got familiar with it... And now it's a bit harsh sounding.

The thing is, I forgot to writhe down the diagram of the original wiring, so I can't go back now.

Might try 'gibson modern wiring'...

Or if any of you could post the original wiring here? :-&

Anyway, despite the minor flaws, this is still a great buy. Plus, I always like to tinker around & mod things, whether they need it or not [biggrin]

I may have saved the day...I posted a picture of my 61 wiring. here it is again

post-43882-082887200 1337884900_thumb.jpg

I may have saved the day...I posted a picture of my 61 wiring. here it is again

Yeah, seen it, but a closeup would be still great [biggrin] If i follow this, a disaster is just around the corner [sleep]

Any other wiring suggestions are also welcome. I tried 0.47 caps, but difference is minimal, and controls act weird with that setup...

• 3 weeks later...

Put me down as another who likes the neck shape (actually, I love it, it's the best natural fit for my tiny hands I've found). What I'm extremely disappointed about are the pickups. Great cleans, good with a mild overdrive, but anything over that sounds really thin and ugly, like everything is out of tune even though its not. I thought a first that my amp was the problem (Roland Cube 20X), but I've tried it through several different tube amps as well, and I'm just not impressed. Mine is up on CL now, and I'll probably be replacing it with a Tele. Found a late 90's California Series one at the shop down the street at a good price, and it sounds really good, so if its still there when I get the SG sold, it'll be mine.

Put me down as another who likes the neck shape (actually, I love it, it's the best natural fit for my tiny hands I've found). What I'm extremely disappointed about are the pickups. Great cleans, good with a mild overdrive, but anything over that sounds really thin and ugly, like everything is out of tune even though its not. I thought a first that my amp was the problem (Roland Cube 20X), but I've tried it through several different tube amps as well, and I'm just not impressed. Mine is up on CL now, and I'll probably be replacing it with a Tele. Found a late 90's California Series one at the shop down the street at a good price, and it sounds really good, so if its still there when I get the SG sold, it'll be mine.

So change the pickups, most people do [confused]

So change the pickups, most people do [confused]

I could, but I'm finding if I want the single coil tone, the Tele's have the sound I'm really looking for. I'm just chalking this up to a lesson learned about what I really want.

Archived