Gibson Brands Forums

Hand Sanitizer?

BIGBENDS

Hey? How's everyone? I was wondering if anyone has ever had a bad experience when using hand sanitizer and then picking up a nitro finished guitar. I used hand sanitizer a few days back and almost went for my LP right after. I remembered someone posted a warning about the effect of DEET on a Nitro finish and I decided not to touch my guitar until the girls let me have my turn in the john. I suppose if Lighter Fluid (Naptha) doesn't wreck a nitro finish, then a bit of sanitizer would be ok. Just wondering.

High concentrations of Alcohol will eat nitro, as well as a french polish finish(generally used on high end/ pre-1930's acoustic instruments).

Being cautious was smart on your part, sanitizer is Isopropyl Alcohol with a thickening agent.

Better safe than sorry.

I never use that stuff. I feel like all of those cleaners are unhealthy.

Pretty much. Marketing has turned us into a bunch of germaphobes. We are also creating a whole batch of super bugs because of our excessive and unnecessary use of antibiotics. I never buy antibacterial soap w/ triclosan and it is not allowed in my house. We use regular old soap and hot water to wash the dishes and our hands. Works fine.

I rarely wash my hands and I never get sick. When I was a child my hands were washed often, and as a result I would get ill and feel lousy.

I can understand those who work in fields that might lend them illness, however for the average person who comes into contact with general bacteria and virus' I strongly believe it is vital to our immune system and overall health to introduce as little as possible of sanitizers and cleaners.

I rarely wash my hands and I never get sick. When I was a child my hands were washed often, and as a result I would get ill and feel lousy.

Ummmm... Maybe it's because when you were a kid you were sticking you hands in your mouth, nose and eyes all the time and now you don't. Just like everybody else.

Hey? How's everyone? I was wondering if anyone has ever had a bad experience when using hand sanitizer and then picking up a nitro finished guitar. I used hand sanitizer a few days back and almost went for my LP right after. I remembered someone posted a warning about the effect of DEET on a Nitro finish and I decided not to touch my guitar until the girls let me have my turn in the john. I suppose if Lighter Fluid (Naptha) doesn't wreck a nitro finish, then a bit of sanitizer would be ok. Just wondering.

I think once the stuff has evaporated you're good to go. The alcohol in there isn't very aggressive. I guess it's just ethanol. Or isopropyl like Sinner said.

I keep a pump bottle in my music building and use it if my hands are dirty or greasy and for anyone else who might pick up one of my guitars. I think the trick is to make sure your hands are dry after. So far, never an issue.

Dave

Guest rogerb

Pretty much. Marketing has turned us into a bunch of germaphobes. We are also creating a whole batch of super bugs because of our excessive and unnecessary use of antibiotics. I never buy antibacterial soap w/ triclosan and it is not allowed in my house. We use regular old soap and hot water to wash the dishes and our hands. Works fine.

I have read studies that say washing your hands with soap for 30 seconds kills the same number of germs as hand sanitizers. I have been of the opinion for many years that hand sanitizers are not good to use over a long time.

Ummmm... Maybe it's because when you were a kid you were sticking you hands in your mouth, nose and eyes all the time and now you don't. Just like everybody else.

My disgusting hands are in my mouth more now than when I was a child. I quit smoking cigarettes a few years ago and I bite my fingernails incessantly, often times when they are visibly soiled.

If you 'sanitize', just give the alcohol time to flash off, i.e. dry before picking up a guitar. That gel does leave a coating of ... something behind, but I don't know what.

Best hand sanitizer in the world. Ivory soap and water.

Saved the bottled stuff for when you are not near soap and water.

On the upside, if you take hand sanitizer into the woods with you, it can be used as a fire starter. A young Boy Scout used it when caught in a blizzard on Mt. Washington in the Appalacian range. Saved his life it did. For all intents and purposes its almost the same as Sterno.

High concentrations of Alcohol will eat nitro, as well as a french polish finish(generally used on high end/ pre-1930's acoustic instruments).

Being cautious was smart on your part, sanitizer is Isopropyl Alcohol with a thickening agent.

Better safe than sorry.

I work in a correctional institution, and products with any alcohol are banned. We use a sanitizer called 2 in 1 Handclens that our nursing staff claims works as well as any product with alcohol. So if you're concerned about alcohol and your finish, you could try this product.

Brad

I use it all the time without any problems with the nitro. The alcohol evaporates very quickly, so just wait 'til your hands are dry before grabbing the LP. [biggrin]

I only worded it as such because I accidentally got a drop on my Junior headstock while refinishing it

(Denatured, not sanitizer)

and it immediately fogged up and left a dimple in the nitro....

[cursing]

buffing it out has been a TOTAL wench....

Good info with so many Nitro finished guitars around! One thing that I may have to be careful of is the "pain creme" like from Walgreen's. I use it for my neck and best wash up good after rubbing into my neck & shoulders. I didn't wash it off my hands once, laid down to read a Musician's Friend catalog and was I surprised at the results. I had perfect imprints of my fingerprints (ate off all the ink on the front cover down to the white paper).

Was quite weird looking. I best not find out if it would eat up the back of the neck of a J-45 or Dove. Would hate to see my fingerprints sunk into the finish for sure!! [thumbdn]

Aster

I can understand those who work in fields that might lend them illness, however for the average person who comes into contact with general bacteria and virus' I strongly believe it is vital to our immune system and overall health to introduce as little as possible of sanitizers and cleaners.

That's nice...[bored]

I like to keep clean....

I only worded it as such because I accidentally got a drop on my Junior headstock while refinishing it

(Denatured, not sanitizer)

and it immediately fogged up and left a dimple in the nitro....

[cursing]

buffing it out has been a TOTAL wench....

I get that! So I should edit my reply to say: "I use it all the time without any problems with the nitro. The alcohol evaporates very quickly, so just wait 'til your hands are dry before grabbing the LP, and stay at least 50 feet away from it while applying sanitizer!"

Seriously though - the only time I use this stuff is on stage if my hands get grungy during a set, and I use it while the bass is hanging around my neck! It would be very easy to slop some on the finish without realizing it [scared] . Thanks for the heads up!

Archived