Gibson Brands Forums

Disgusting

IanHenry

We've had a rash of thefts of war memorial plaques. Some scrap metal dealers are more scrupulous than others and check what come in but many do not even though they are supposed to by law. We've also had metal thieves stealing copper pipe and wiring from occupied houses. Imagine coming home from work to no electricity and a basement full of water...

Brad

Yes a reminder of the desperation some people experience and/or just plain criminality

Particularly upsetting for those who wish for a memorial to innocent victims

Other instances are church roof lead...and railway copper signal wiring, often causing dangerous failures or fires...

V

:-({|=

Tell me about it-they took my front gate right next to my front door.

The way I figure it, if they are going to those measures, things are really bad for them. Far worse than I got it.

At least they haven't taken my house. But they almost did. And even then, when you look into the eyes of those who would do such a thing, you have to wonder where their soul is.

Have mercy!

I wouldn't blame any one particular ethnic group. They've been stealing the brass / bronze covers off fire sprinkler stand pipes in our building. They nabbed the culprits. Luckily the local scrap 'Iron and Metal' yard in our area figured it was not quite right someone trying to sell two doze brass stand pipe caps, so they notified the local jean-de-arms. Just some local junkies of local extraction. i.e. punks.

My wife's brother-in-law works a factory where the cutting oil used to cool and lube machine tools quit pumping fluid. Thieves backed up to the factory, cut the lines on the external cooling coils, then hauled them off. They live and work in an area of little ethnic diversity. The sad thing is, factory jobs in their area go begging. It's a mind set. "You know they wanted me to work 8 hours a day, 5 days a week! [scared] When am I going to find time to hunt and fish, [sneaky] " quoth a relative of my wife's.

A local contractor friend of mine does building demo work. They tear down and sort metal for sale to the scrap yard.. They have to eat lunch near the scrap piles or the local ne'er do wells will abscond with it while they are on their lunch break. They can see them lurking on the fringes of the job sight. And, of course they have to make a scrap yard run at then end of each day. Aluminum, copper, iron, anything metal.

Then, over night the sight has to be patrolled as the ne'er do well's get in and strip the sight ahead of them.

Archived