Gibson Brands Forums

what was the best guitar you ever played?

FenderGuy1

I was in a guitar shop one day and a ES-359 was hanging high on the wall. It looked nice and tasty so I asked for a look-see. As I started to play some chords and runs I was floored. I'm thinking I might have to buy this guitar. So I put a hold on it and continued to play it. It played like a dream on an ebony fretboard (my favorite). For me, the guitar's 30/60 neck profile sits perfectly between the 50s and 60s slim taper. I just couldn't get over the great playability. I also love the body size - very close to the body size of a Les Paul, but a double cut semi-hollow. It was loaded with a pair of 57 Classics and sounded fantastic. It can go from low down dirty to silky smooth jazz. It just blew me away. After about 45 minutes of noodling I paid for it and took her home. A record for me as I usually spend a couple days or more stewing over a purchase decision. Here's a couple pics -

ES-359a-md.jpg

ES-359-md.jpg

I was in a guitar shop one day and a ES-359 was hanging high on the wall. It looked nice and tasty so I asked for a look-see. As I started to play some chords and runs I was floored. I'm thinking I might have to buy this guitar. So I put a hold on it and continued to play it. It played like a dream on an ebony fretboard (my favorite). For me, the guitar's 30/60 neck profile sits perfectly between the 50s and 60s slim taper. I just couldn't get over the great playability. I also love the body size - very close to the body size of a Les Paul, but a double cut semi-hollow. It was loaded with a pair of 57 Classics and sounded fantastic. It can go from low down dirty to silky smooth jazz. It just blew me away. After about 45 minutes of noodling I paid for it and took her home. A record for me as I usually spend a couple days or more stewing over a purchase decision. Here's a couple pics -

ES-359a-md.jpg

ES-359-md.jpg

Wow that es look great [thumbup] I'm in the marked for a es 339, cool guitars [thumbup]

Some day's i think i have the coolest sound around with my Angus sig, it has that bright cool crispy crunch

I think a 'best guitar' is down to set up. If you take a good guitar and have a good set up it'll become a great guitar. A fret level and most important, a fret polish works wonders. If you just take your strings off and polish your frets, your bends will become 50 percent better/easier. Try it.

Of all the guitars I've played the most impact I've had would be from an Explorer I tried once and a mates Yamaha SG 3000. both were effortless to play.

No doubt down to set up.

Plus...The mental attraction to a guitar works wonders. If you don't like the look, you'll never like to play it.

I can't believe anyone is in any doubt as to my favourite - I must have posted this same shot 50 times - but here it is again anyhow.

'Marmalade'.

1995 Historic Division 1960 re-issue. One of the so-called 'Ginger Burst' guitars.

R0Lo-resframed.jpg

Before I got back into Les Pauls this was my #1 for 24 years and is easily the best Strat I've ever played. Jan 1964. L 16783.

This is me in about Spring '85;

MewithLP-Bluein85v2lo-res.jpg

P.

Love the t-shirt. Owned the car in '85.

From a playability standpoint, my ES-335 is my favorite. The neck and the action are perfect. From a tone aspect, meh. It's very good, but never really gets me exactly where I want to be. I'm still working on it.

My Carvin SH550 feels better holding it that any other. The body is just the right size and shape, and the neck feels perfect for me. But, I can never get the action quite right, and I think it is because of where the relief (forward bow) is in the neck. The sound of the Carvin suits me best. It is also the best constructed, most solid, best looking guitar I've ever played.

The thing about the sound of an electric is that there are so many ways to affect it (pick, strings, amp, etc.).

Years ago I was at a rehearsal in the basement storage room of a music instrument store and buried under tons of cardboard and old beat up guitar cases we found a old National resonator single cone. That guitar just howled! I asked the owner about it and who owned it and he told me he didnt know where it came from-he offered it to me for $75. Unfortunately,I was a gas station attendant at the time and had no money to spend. That was 40-45 years ago and I can still hear that old guitar ringing.....I have no idea what year it was but I do know that the brass had turned green and it was ugly-but awesome tones came out of that old rag. Shoulda,woulda,coulda......

Love the t-shirt. Owned the car in '85.

[lol]

Funny you should spot the t-shirt...

Not wishing to derail the thread too much, dc3c46, but what Jag did you have?

That particular shirt was a promotional item supporting Bob Tullius' semi-works backed Jaguar XJR-5 Group 44 IMSA series entries at the 24 hour race at Le Mans in 1984 and, from the same race, stuck on the Strat behind the bridge is a genuine Ecurie Ecosse team badge/sticker which I admit to having 'liberated' from that team's garage/pit wall after '84 race ended.

I've still got the E.E. badge somewhere and was even still wearing the 'Jaguar Racing' 't' in a photo taken as recently as 2004........twenty years is a pretty good innings for a t-shirt, I'd say!

P.

I would say the first guitar I ever layed my mitts on that made me say "WOW" was a bandmates 1975 ES-335. The guitar practically played itself. After a couple of years of hounding him to sell it to me, he finally did.

2886928044_06c0f4ddae.jpg

That 335 became my "everyday" guitar for the next twenty years. After hundreds of gigs, I literally wore it out.

For what I do now, my L-5CES is absolutely PERFECT. I've spent many hours "tweaking" this guitar (about the only thing left untouched from the Gibson factory is the finish and the frets), it plays like butter, and sounds like silk.

5443050215_b98f88be2c.jpg

So, as to the original question, the best guitar(s) I've ever played, I've been lucky enough to own.

HOLY ALEX LIFESON! You don't see too many 335s like that!

The best guitars I've ever played were

- a 1991 PRS CE-24 (Alex Lifeson!) with a 1994 neck with rosewood fretboard. In a rare tobacco burst with the rotary pickup selector, not the toggle.

- a 2007 Gibson Les Paul Standard LTD. Natural flame maple finish, 3pc flame maple neck, gold hardware. Upgraded electronics, including Bareknuckle Steve Stevens Rebel Yell pups!

- a Fender Hot Rod Vintage 52' Tele, in Butterscotch with the mini-bucker in the neck. Oaaah. And it was at a GC in Orlando!

And none of em are mine!

And I forgot one: My sunburst MIM Strat!

The best playing and sounding acoustic Ive ever owned or even played is my McPherson it's just and amazing instrument almost seems alive when you play it. For Electrics that's tough I have so many great ones after thirty plus years of buying selling and trading there's some real keepers in my collection now. I would have to say my favorite sound is a L6-S from 1976 amazing tone, Looks it's my 84 Zematis no contest, just coolest and most fun to play probably the Trussart SteelDeville Dragon.

koa02.jpg

84metalfront3.jpg

Original-3.jpg

Hard to pick just one. I do agree set up plays a big part because the question is best ever played not best sounding. I've played guitars usually cheaper knockoffs that sounded like crap but were so fun to play that you didn't wanna put em down.

My thing is I don't keep em if the don't play great.[thumbup]

Guest farnsbarns

I can't believe anyone is in any doubt as to my favourite - I must have posted this same shot 50 times - but here it is again anyhow.

'Marmalade'.

1995 Historic Division 1960 re-issue. One of the so-called 'Ginger Burst' guitars.

R0Lo-resframed.jpg

Before I got back into Les Pauls this was my #1 for 24 years and is easily the best Strat I've ever played. Jan 1964. L 16783.

This is me in about Spring '85;

MewithLP-Bluein85v2lo-res.jpg

P.

I started reading this thread and thought "how far down will Marmalade be?"

Has to be my R8 although a pragmatic view might be my mum's 1969 hand made, half size Spanish guitar because it's the one that got me going. Without that guitar I would be a very different person today, probably hanging out it night clubs listing to a THUD - THUD - THUD - THUD noise!

EDIT - Pic of my 58...

IMG_3693.JPG

I love Martins but honestly for me Taylors blew me away. Unplugged I like Martins and Gibsons better than Taylors, but their Expression System truly captures the acoustics well when plugged into an amp. Also, Taylors have a lower action which can be good or bad depending on your style. For me I prefer the lower action.

The one I am trying to replace which was stolen from me many years ago. The 69 les paul custom I was lucky enough to own for 5 years.

I don't think you can get the same ebony today. That fretboard was like silk.

Guest farnsbarns

You mean I've mentioned her before?

:P

Yeah. Sorry to be so predictable..........[blush]

Philip.

Ha, just once or twice! [flapper]

I do understand though, I have an unhealthy level of affection towards mine. I must think of a good name that isn't an ex-girlfriend, the missus dislikes that!

Archived