Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Crest

glee3d

Any one out there ever played or owned a Brazilian rosewood Gibson crest from the late 60's early 70's?

I owned one for a while, nice player,like a smaller 345 small w/johnny smith floating pickups, wooden bridge and a

big ol' crest inlaid tailpiece. Thing howled when trying to volume up...but a warm jazz sound was possible and reasonable

volumes...

Former owner had a brass bell cover with his name engraved on it, and red, white & blue rhinestones embedded on the headstock.

Guess he might have been a country player...

I must say the rosewood book-match was one of the best I've seen front back and sides, as well as the floating pick guard.

I'd post a photo, but evidently I've used too much of my 500k allocation....

Have never owned a Crest but always wondered what Gibson was thinking regarding putting floating pickups on a thin body 335 type body. Being that you owned one of these for a while what kind of a sound did it get in comparison say to a 330? jim in Maine

I had one of these in the late '70's--early '80's. While it looked cool, it wasn't a very good design for me with the 16-fret neck joint, and the floaters on a laminated thin body made it extremely feedback prone. Additionally, the rosewood weather-checked like crazy. Compared to an ES-355 from the same period, it really wasn't a player's guitar. I almost never played it and would not own one again.

I don't have any good photos of it, but I do have this:

98111042.jpg

Danny W.

I tried one in a store, around 1980. It played very well, but as for tone, I didn't really have enough time to form an opinion. I wish I could have rented it for a week at home and spent more time with it.

An even rarer Gibson "Crest" was Andy Nelson's variation on the L5CT, which appears in the book "The Tsumura Collection". Couldn't find a good photo, but you can try enlarging this one in your browser:

image0062.jpg

More info here: http://www.larrygrinnell.com/?p=448

and here: http://www.classicjazzguitar.com/images/nelson/andybook.pdf

• 3 weeks later...

Have never owned a Crest but always wondered what Gibson was thinking regarding putting floating pickups on a thin body 335 type body. Being that you owned one of these for a while what kind of a sound did it get in comparison say to a 330? jim in Maine

Jim, I played it very little, mostly amplified, but with volume pretty low. The thing would resonate and howl, if turned up to loud due to the floating pickups.

That said, the guitar played well, great neck and frets, and what mostly came out sound-wise was more of a neck pick-up warm jazz sound. not muck treble to be had

I think due to the wood, and pick-ups floating. Not the same as a 335 in terms of neck blocking either, a lighter version of 335...sold it to a player who used in studio

from time to time, and after he went to jail...don't know where it ended up...but I did finally get paid for it ;-)

I had one of these in the late '70's--early '80's. While it looked cool, it wasn't a very good design for me with the 16-fret neck joint, and the floaters on a laminated thin body made it extremely feedback prone. Additionally, the rosewood weather-checked like crazy. Compared to an ES-355 from the same period, it really wasn't a player's guitar. I almost never played it and would not own one again.

I don't have any good photos of it, but I do have this:

98111042.jpg

Danny W.

Danny,

You hit the nail on the head..but they sure looked pretty!

Archived