Gibson Brands Forums

Manic Street Preachers

Stooge

I really loved them early on (Pre-success era 1990 - 94), but they just have become a run of the mill indie rock band in recent years, although their early material is pretty much unbeatable in early 90s UK rock history imo. Here is a video for an earlier song, which was released later 'Judge Yr'self', there is some great footage of their earlier chaotic gigs, one of these I met my wife at, enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m14pt9necao&ob=av2e

I really loved them early on (Pre-success era 1990 - 94), but they just have become a run of the mill indie rock band in recent years, although their early material is pretty much unbeatable in early 90s UK rock history imo. Here is a video for an earlier song, which was released later 'Judge Yr'self', there is some great footage of their earlier chaotic gigs, one of these I met my wife at, enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m14pt9necao&ob=av2e

Love them - even the more recent stuff.

I was at Swansea University 85-88 doing a history degree, Richey Edwards was in the year below me, doing politics and history and Nicky Wire turned up a year later to do the same - I wish I could say I remember anything about them, but I don't. If they actually went on to campus as infrequently as me, our paths would not have often crossed. Happy days though....

Anyway, Motorcycle Emptiness is one of my favourite songs ever........ and JDB plays beautifully on it...

cheers,

Manse

Great memories for you. I actually met them at Brighton around 92. Really nice bunch of guys particularly Sean, who went to no ends to tell me about his love of Dolphins, and that mankind were worthless by comparison.

Great memories for you. I actually met them at Brighton around 92. Really nice bunch of guys particularly Sean, who went to no ends to tell me about his love of Dolphins, and that mankind were worthless by comparison.

Yeah - they seem like good guys. Don't want to get political on the forum - but I love a lot of the lyrics and what they stand for. "Let Robeson Sing" is one of my faves.

(Last saw them in Cardiff about a year ago.... great gig. They have still got "it".)

Manse

Funnily enough the punk thread on here, I was going to post some 'Crass', but I don't think this forum is the right place for Anarcho-Punk with a serious political aganda....and so lol! Anyway haven't seen the Manics since about 2002, on their first greatest hits tour package, my Wife still is a fan and goes to see them with her friends, they just don't do much for me anymore. My tastes have changed a lot though in recent years, where once I would only like certain types of music, I find I like pretty much a wide range now, I still love their earlier material though. [thumbup] I often wonder what direction they might have gone in, should Richey of stayed.

I've never liked them. They bore me. But isn't it great that we don't all like the same music? That would be boring.

Funnily enough that's exactly what they do to me now, but back in the day....

A great band, I saw them live about 4 years ago. They should be much bigger than they are but aren't. Possibly because they never cracked the US. I've got all of their albums and I'm looking forward to their next visit to Dublin.

Archived