Gibson Brands Forums

New Pedal

manse

Sweet!

Do I have a right to demand a demo? :P

that only seems fair......

However, it is 9.30 pm, and my 5 y.o daughter is sleeping soundly, right next door to my music room....

What I might do is take it to next band rehearsal (June 9th) and really let rip with the gear I store at the studio including: my big amp (Marshall 6100 30th anniversary 100w stack) and my wah, (which will be fine, as the fuzz has a built-in buffer to avoid wah-related oscillations).... sound like a fair compromise?

I want one!! My friend recommended it for hendrix but this Behringer distortion really gets that fuzz tone really well

It is a silicon circuit, whereas most of Jimi's stuff was recorded with Ge Fuzz Faces. But then again, the Hendrix Fuzz Face is Si.....I don't think it matters as much as what it's being run through. You don't have a 100w Plexi Marshall....These boxes need some amp overdrive to sound great (just like Tube Screamers, unless Surfpup mods em'....). Hendrix's amps were loud (I don't say Marshalls cause' Voodoo Chile and a lot of his other stuff was recorded with a Fender Dual Showman amp!), as was/are Gilmour (HiWatt sound. Lots of clean headroom in his old clean tones, but those power tubes were workin'!), SRV (his Fenders were always cranked. He was LOUD!), Johnson, Bonamassa, Page (Tone Bender into a Marshall or HiWatt. Turned up pretty loud!), Beck (as in JEFF!), etc. That's the nature of those old circuits. I don't expect you to know all of this, and I know I don't know as much as Dub...And it shouldn't matter. You can play Hendrix with anything. You can play anything with anything. Remember, it's not what you got, it's what you do with what you got (quote from Lindsay Buckingham of Fleetwood Mac). My ideal rig for myself is a good Gibson (Les Paul Standard, Classic, or Custom, SG, or Explorer. Maybe a 335 or V for some stuff), a good Marshall style amp (I like Wizard amps!), a few pedals (a good Cry Baby, Script Phase 90, Retro-Sonic Chorus, which is a clone of the Roland CE-1 as used by Andy Summers of the Police, Scott Gorham of Thin Lizzy, and one of my heroes, Alex Lifeson of Rush, and a good Tube Screamer style boost. I also like volume pedals, octavers, and the ever-epic Keeley compressor!), some rack effects (TC stuff for delay and reverb), and some accessories (like a power conditioner, wireless unit(s), and even a Palmer speaker simulator, which is just for great front house sound and better sound onstage). That's mine. Not Hendrix's. Not Ace's. Not Alex's.

I'm not criticizing you or trying to slam you (like some members here...), as I think you could really make something of yourself, but my advice to you is to simply BE YOURSELF!!! Don't be Hendrix. Don't be SRV. Be FenderGuy1! Every guitar player (at least every great guitar player, and certainly all the players we admire and listen to!) has their own style. It is normal to incorporate stuff from other players (for example, Eric Johnson was a big influence on my phrasing). It is not normal to copy them. I love Alex Lifeson, but I don't copy him. I love George Lynch, but I don't copy him. Use your ideas of a good tone to judge on guitars, amps, pedals, etc. So instead of copying Hendrix and ending up with a Strat, Fuzz Face, and SLP-100 combo, you might get a Les Paul, Fender Deluxe Reverb, and ProCo RAT cause' it's what YOU like. You don't see me playing a white 355 and a bunch of Hughes And Kettner TriAmps. You don't see Lifeson playing a Les Paul Classic (what the Standard should be now IMHO!) into a Wizard Modern Classic (that's coincidence!) 100w head. You don't see Ace Frehley using a Tube Screamer, or me with a clown burst 3 pup Custom and a JCM 900 SL-X. I love both of those players, but my tone in my head is based on what I like and what I hear in my head. It just happens to be great for both Rush (well, pre-2112 Rush, which is my favorite Alex TONE. Not his playing, as I don't have a favorite Lifeson period, as he always contains his personal voice and touch no matter the style) and KISS/Ace style music. Cause' those are the eras of music I like the most. Between 1968 and 1990. A long time, and different. But that's back when the Marshall stack ruled all. Before Rectifiers showed up. UFO, Scorpions, KISS/Ace solo stuff, Rush, Tesla, Y&T, Van Halen, Dokken/Lynch Mob, Savoy Brown, Zeppelin, Sabbath, Deep Purple/Rainbow, MSG, Ten Years After, Thin Lizzy, and many more! That's the epitome of the Marshall sound. Clapton, Hendrix, and Beck started it all. Then Zeppelin I came out, and all hell broke loose. That's what I love. And you can use em' for any style of music! And all the players sounded different.

If I had to pick a great Fuzz Face song, it would be Rush's Bastille Day (from the 1975 release "Caress Of Steel". Their 3rd album. Too bad it didn't fly so well as the others.....No Fly By Night pun intended). That was a Si model too! 335-Si Fuzz Face-SLP-100-Lerxst's fingers=great!

Congrats on the pedal! Have fun with it!

I like that buffer switch. I think all fuzz boxes should have it!

Someone forward this to the two Michaels of fuzz: Mike Fuller of Fulltone and of course, Analog Mike!

I'm not criticizing you or trying to slam you (like some members here...), as I think you could really make something of yourself, but my advice to you is to simply BE YOURSELF!!! Don't be Hendrix. Don't be SRV. Be FenderGuy1! Every guitar player (at least every great guitar player, and certainly all the players we admire and listen to!) has their own style. It is normal to incorporate stuff from other players (for example, Eric Johnson was a big influence on my phrasing). It is not normal to copy them. I love Alex Lifeson, but I don't copy him. I love George Lynch, but I don't copy him. Use your ideas of a good tone to judge on guitars, amps, pedals, etc. So instead of copying Hendrix and ending up with a Strat, Fuzz Face, and SLP-100 combo, you might get a Les Paul, Fender Deluxe Reverb, and ProCo RAT cause' it's what YOU like. You don't see me playing a white 355 and a bunch of Hughes And Kettner TriAmps. You don't see Lifeson playing a Les Paul Classic (what the Standard should be now IMHO!) into a Wizard Modern Classic (that's coincidence!) 100w head. You don't see Ace Frehley using a Tube Screamer, or me with a clown burst 3 pup Custom and a JCM 900 SL-X. I love both of those players, but my tone in my head is based on what I like and what I hear in my head. It just happens to be great for both Rush (well, pre-2112 Rush, which is my favorite Alex TONE. Not his playing, as I don't have a favorite Lifeson period, as he always contains his personal voice and touch no matter the style) and KISS/Ace style music. Cause' those are the eras of music I like the most. Between 1968 and 1990. A long time, and different. But that's back when the Marshall stack ruled all. Before Rectifiers showed up. UFO, Scorpions, KISS/Ace solo stuff, Rush, Tesla, Y&T, Van Halen, Dokken/Lynch Mob, Savoy Brown, Zeppelin, Sabbath, Deep Purple/Rainbow, MSG, Ten Years After, Thin Lizzy, and many more! That's the epitome of the Marshall sound. Clapton, Hendrix, and Beck started it all. Then Zeppelin I came out, and all hell broke loose. That's what I love. And you can use em' for any style of music! And all the players sounded different.

Not trying to be a jerk, but how could you say that when you play in a cover band?

Very cool, I like MXR pedals a lot. The buffer should be incorporated into others as well. I've got the Hendrix Fuzz Face and remember once when it and my Crybaby decided not to get along. Thought one (or both?) was broken, a quick phone call to Dunlop/MXR Technical educated me on the issues. That's one of the things I love about that company, their Tech Support is awesome!

It is a silicon circuit, whereas most of Jimi's stuff was recorded with Ge Fuzz Faces. But then again, the Hendrix Fuzz Face is Si.....I don't think it matters as much as what it's being run through. You don't have a 100w Plexi Marshall....These boxes need some amp overdrive to sound great (just like Tube Screamers, unless Surfpup mods em'....). Hendrix's amps were loud (I don't say Marshalls cause' Voodoo Chile and a lot of his other stuff was recorded with a Fender Dual Showman amp!), as was/are Gilmour (HiWatt sound. Lots of clean headroom in his old clean tones, but those power tubes were workin'!), SRV (his Fenders were always cranked. He was LOUD!), Johnson, Bonamassa, Page (Tone Bender into a Marshall or HiWatt. Turned up pretty loud!), Beck (as in JEFF!), etc. That's the nature of those old circuits. I don't expect you to know all of this, and I know I don't know as much as Dub...And it shouldn't matter. You can play Hendrix with anything. You can play anything with anything. Remember, it's not what you got, it's what you do with what you got (quote from Lindsay Buckingham of Fleetwood Mac). My ideal rig for myself is a good Gibson (Les Paul Standard, Classic, or Custom, SG, or Explorer. Maybe a 335 or V for some stuff), a good Marshall style amp (I like Wizard amps!), a few pedals (a good Cry Baby, Script Phase 90, Retro-Sonic Chorus, which is a clone of the Roland CE-1 as used by Andy Summers of the Police, Scott Gorham of Thin Lizzy, and one of my heroes, Alex Lifeson of Rush, and a good Tube Screamer style boost. I also like volume pedals, octavers, and the ever-epic Keeley compressor!), some rack effects (TC stuff for delay and reverb), and some accessories (like a power conditioner, wireless unit(s), and even a Palmer speaker simulator, which is just for great front house sound and better sound onstage). That's mine. Not Hendrix's. Not Ace's. Not Alex's.

If I had to pick a great Fuzz Face song, it would be Rush's Bastille Day (from the 1975 release "Caress Of Steel". Their 3rd album. Too bad it didn't fly so well as the others.....No Fly By Night pun intended). That was a Si model too! 335-Si Fuzz Face-SLP-100-Lerxst's fingers=great!

You left out The Who... <_<

BTW, who is Y&T? Seen the reference here several times and just can't think of it... (should I just insert the "Duh!" here, or wait until someone answers?).

And I didn't realize Bastille Day was off the third album. That was always one of my favorites to play, the band at the end of high school had a very Rush oriented song list (my doing). Now I've got to go get Caress of Steel... And Fly By Night too. Thinking about it, don't know as I had that LP (CoS), either borrowed it or, most likely got All The World's a Stage and did the live version. Makes sense, we also played Working Man, What you're Doing, In The Mood, Finding My Way, Need Some Love, Take A Friend, Fly By Night, Lakeside Park and Anthem. Yep, BIG fan of the early stuff here! [thumbup]

New fuzz pedal. Love it.

7236061532_88effdc36c_c.jpg">

Congrats! I love Si fuzzes with the BC108 tranies. I am pretty sure that is what they put in the blue Hendrix Fuzz Faces. They make the beautiful buzz saw noises.

Isnt that just a Fuzz Face?

it is the guts of a fuzz face, but:

• it has the switchable buffer - as well as making life easier with a wah, it also offers a treble boost and tightens up the low end (it would be nice to have it as a full size switch actually, cos it does offer a different sound.)
  • it is smaller and squarer - i.e it fits a lot better on a pedal board.
  • if you want to change the battery, you don't have to unscrew the base plate, which is a major pain if you have it mounted on a board.
  • it also has 9v power socket - which I prefer to battery only operation.
  • I got it a lot cheaper than I could get a fuzz face...even with postage from USA to UK

it all makes sense to me.....

Not trying to be a jerk, but how could you say that when you play in a cover band?

I don't copy.

I mark my territory on everything I do. We play Voodoo Chile, and nothing I play in it sounds like I'm copying Hendrix or SRV. Of course, I put a couple of the signature licks in, cause' it's their song and I'm covering it, but I improvise through it, and I play whatever feels right. You should hear me play that song on a bad night. It's pretty bad. On a great night, it feels great, and as a result, I play better licks and put more attitude and passion into the music.

Some songs you can't just improvise through. Any Rush song is like that. You could call me a wannabe for playing 2112 note-for-note, but that's cause' any improvisation would greatly ruin the whole thing. Those licks were thrown in there for a reason. They fit the song like nothing else. And in the end, it makes me a better musician, and inspires some songwriting.

I play the same solos in some of the tunes we play, but I play them like I would play them. I don't improvise the Ace Frehley "Snow Blind" solo, but I add my own personal touch and nuances to it. Some solos are important to songs.

We're toying with the KISS tune (well, Stones tune!) "2,000 Man". The original KISS version from the Dynasty album is good (if you like the song in the first place), but it has some major faults: It ain't as heavy as it should be, and it kind of sounds like a bubblegum tune. I heard Ace do it live. Sounded like a different song, yet the same obviously. We're trying to follow that, but make it heavier (not necessarily more "metal". Just less poppy and more raw and mighty), and I think I could rip a great lead in it. Build from the original solo (cause' it fits in), but I could add some nuance and some tapping parts to make it more original and more sophisticated. And I like the lyrics!

I sound like me. I just like to rock other people's tunes (cause' it's FUN!) , and I REALLY like to personalize them and add my own stuff to them.

But I love to write riffs. I have a lot of original riffs and patterns. But I just can't write lyrics!

And, surprisingly enough, a lot of ideas and riffs come to my head from playing drums. A lot of times, I'll have a drum beat or pattern that I like, and I'll come up with a riff to go with it!

And last but not least, I don't try to replicate the same tones for every song with a POD like some people do.....

Very cool, I like MXR pedals a lot. The buffer should be incorporated into others as well. I've got the Hendrix Fuzz Face and remember once when it and my Crybaby decided not to get along. Thought one (or both?) was broken, a quick phone call to Dunlop/MXR Technical educated me on the issues. That's one of the things I love about that company, their Tech Support is awesome!

You left out The Who... <_<

BTW, who is Y&T? Seen the reference here several times and just can't think of it... (should I just insert the "Duh!" here, or wait until someone answers?).

And I didn't realize Bastille Day was off the third album. That was always one of my favorites to play, the band at the end of high school had a very Rush oriented song list (my doing). Now I've got to go get Caress of Steel... And Fly By Night too. Thinking about it, don't know as I had that LP (CoS), either borrowed it or, most likely got All The World's a Stage and did the live version. Makes sense, we also played Working Man, What you're Doing, In The Mood, Finding My Way, Need Some Love, Take A Friend, Fly By Night, Lakeside Park and Anthem. Yep, BIG fan of the early stuff here! [thumbup]

I'll always give them credit, but Bastille Day was the first to pop into my head during the thread...

Y&T (it stands for "Yesterday & Today") is a hard rock band from Oakland. They formed in the 70s, and found some success in the 80s with the tune "Summertime Girls". Their leader is Dave Meneketti on the lead guitar and lead vocals. That's my simplified bio. I'll leave it to the others for more detail! Their song "Mean Streak" is one of the best heavy metal tunes of the 80s IMHO. And quite underrated!

Caress Of Steel is very underrated compared to the others. The early Rush stuff kinda sits in the back room compared to the post-2112/pre-Signals stuff. Fly By Night has some great tunes on it, like Beneath, Between & Behind, In The End, By-Tor And The Snow Dog, Anthem, Best I Can, Making Memories, and Rivindell (which is one of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard.).

Rush could do soft songs, too. In The End, Rivendell, Making Memories, Tears (from 2112), and of course, Entre Nous from Permanent Waves. Those songs move me kinda like Something and My Sweet Lord do!

What can I say, I'm a Rushian!

Archived