Gibson Brands Forums

Ok age check time.

LT ED

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am 16.

bday_1973.jpg

He he, actually I just turned 55 a few weeks back, and looking forward to retiring from Boeing when I hit 62.

That pic was taken in '73 on my 16th birthday, I had just got that '73 Les Paul Deluxe.

Wish I still had it, but sold it for our 2nd child expenses back around '86.

WWII was still running when I was born, albeit for only a cupla days before VJ Day was proclaimed. I think I'm still probably the senior "regular" here.

Age does make a lot of difference in a number of ways. At 50 I could still do a 360 degree jump spin kick. I can't now. I remember listening to Korean war reports on radio, shaking hands with Harry Truman, the Cuban missile crisis, "new" electric guitar concepts... etc., etc.

When I was 20, I thought a 40-year-old was "old." Now they're easily young enough to be my kid. I can tell you the concerns of different ages, as a whole, are quite different - although in special cases such as illness, yes; but that's not a matter of watching the panorama of time through the decades.

Life goes through cycles. I'm long past courting; long past the age of raising children; long past the age of worrying about career futures as a major concern. That's good because the gray hair changes the way younger "managers" see me regardless that I was a tech nut before some were out of diapers and still am. Much more than a 70-hour work week does get tiring now as it didn't 30 years ago.

Those things mean that regardless that I have some friends of all ages, my perspective on them is different depending on the stage of life in which they find themselves.

An example, a college Shakespeare prof and I were talking on a plane back when I was around 40 and I mentioned that I had disliked King Lear in high school. Her response was that nobody should read Lear before they're 40 because most don't "get it" due to life experience. Titus Andronicus and Romeo and Juliet OTOH, are much easier to "get."

I don't consider myself "old" in the sense that I still get joy from doing a lotta stuff from playing guitar to "shooting" rodeo and documenting the community around me as I've done for too close to 50 years. OTOH, I'm a more cautious in driving and other stuff than at 20 because I don't wiggle as quickly and I know I won't heal nearly as well.

m

King Arthur: Old woman.

EVOL: Man.

King Arthur: Man, sorry. What knight lives in that castle over there?

EVOL: I'm 37.

King Arthur: What?

EVOL: I'm 37. I'm not old.

King Arthur: Well I can't just call you "man".

EVOL: Well you could say "EVOL".

King Arthur: I didn't know you were called EVOL.

EVOL: Well you didn't bother to find out did you?

King Arthur: I did say sorry about the "old woman", but from behind you looked...

EVOL: What I object to is you automatically treat me like an inferior.

King Arthur: Well I am king.

EVOL: Oh, king eh? Very nice. And how'd you get that, eh? By exploiting the workers. By hanging on to outdated imperialist dogma which perpetuates the economic and social differences in our society.

Guest farnsbarns

I'm 35, soon to be 36. They say you're as old as the woman you feel, well, my mrs is 42 so I ignore that saying.

Of course my male chromosomes dictate that I am perpetually 12!

King Arthur: Old woman.

EVOL: Man.

King Arthur: Man, sorry. What knight lives in that castle over there?

EVOL: I'm 37.

King Arthur: What?

EVOL: I'm 37. I'm not old.

King Arthur: Well I can't just call you "man".

EVOL: Well you could say "EVOL".

King Arthur: I didn't know you were called EVOL.

EVOL: Well you didn't bother to find out did you?

King Arthur: I did say sorry about the "old woman", but from behind you looked...

EVOL: What I object to is you automatically treat me like an inferior.

EVOL: Oh, king eh? Very nice. And how'd you get that, eh? By exploiting the workers. By hanging on to outdated imperialist dogma which perpetuates the economic and social differences in our society.

WHAT? are you sayin! in english please.

Fretplay...

Yup, you're older than I am, anyway...

Glad you're here, 'cuz I was beginning to wonder if I were the oldest guy around who still wants to learn new stuff...

Enjoy the forums! They offer a lot of good ideas as well as a lot of ...

m

....and I didn't vote for him either!

LOL!

[thumbup]

P.

6 years till retirement.Then I'm going back to stage full time.

Yeah. I'm done and Y'all young bucks have just begun HA HA HA HA! Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Enjoy boys cause life sucks when you hit the real WORLD. Ha Ha HA HA HA HA HA hA!

Archived