Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Motherofpearl

J45 legend

Hey guys I have sold a few guitars I have ended up with a sum of money and I'm considering buying a j45 legend. Though I have never played one I'm curious about this big neck?? I already have a j45 tv should I even consider it?

man, since you already have a J-45 TV, I wouldnt even consider it..I would get something different, like a J-200, Hummingbird, L-00 but not another 45

Funny, I just logged onto the forum to give people a heads up that there is a J-45 Legend on eBay right now (no affilition). See my new thread for a link.

I bought my J-45 off eBay almost a year ago and have been very, very happy with it. I have A/Bed them against the TVs in stores before. There is a difference in the resonance and overall sound. I would say the difference is not huge, but it is there. If I were comparing the prices of two brand new guitars, I would say the sound difference is not worth it. But I was intendind to buy a brand new TV and got a chance to be an "as new" Legend for very little more, so I went for the Legend. Never regretted it once!

Edit - I also just added another new thread with a sound clip of my J-45 Legend. Have a listen.

Try it first dude. I love big necks on my guitars (have a TV J45 and a 57 Lester Gold Top both with big necks) but couldn't deal with the size of the one on the Legend. It's ok for picking, but I found it to big for rhythm work (though you may have bigger hands than me). I had a really nice Martin 000-28VS for a while which had a similar sized neck.

The Gibson dread neck and nut size is perfect for me my jumbo is a little fatter doesent bother me. But that thing is huge. There's no legend here I was thinking of grabbing the one on the bay

I have an sj hummingbird wm45 j45tv. I mostly strum and play country music is an l-00 good for that?

I have a hard time enjoying playing country on my L00 ... the decay is too fast and the seperation is too great. Although well balanced, the lows are not as warm as with the jumbos. mine is a great small box but not for country ... imho.

For the money... Find a original Banner..

Good point. Might start by figuring what you want all these git-ars for. Are you a player? Then the TV is all you need. More, even. Take a walk around the block, do some yoga, watch a sit-com. A collector? Im not sure even a Legend has iconic status, so maybe hunting up an old one makes sense, if you are jsut looking for something to hang on the wall, bragging rights yada. Just having fun buying and selling? It's not the path to contentment, but knock yourself out. Wont know til you go there.

Im into spending 5 or 8 gs on a guitar.. but more importantly.. Getting those funds back if I dont like what I buy.. Im not into taking a loss over a Hyped Name after the model number.. not unless you intend to keep it for a very Long time.. I do realize though.. Most here on the board like what they buy.. I can respect that.. I was once there to... I had to have them all.. but after 400 plus guitars at one time.. I couldnt have them all nor could I keep up.. Most went away.. I kept the high end and one off Jewels.. then ventured into More of the Vintage end..20s, 30s, 40s, 50s.. Im happy.

they're all great I'm just waiting for that one I can't let go
. In terms of actually making music, how much better was the TV than the now-gone Holly (didnt you say you actually preferred the BH?); how much more suitable will the Leg be to the TV? Not a moron, but it does sound like shopping. Speed dating. Grass is greener. In which case, maybe its not about the guitar so much as it might seem.

ps fwiw the Leg neck is a finger pickers dream. If your TV feels full in your hand the L might be a stretch.

..the buddy did sound better ..But essentially it was a collectors guitar
Well, you got your value for it, but at the end of the day, value overruled music. One off our forum mates just bought the same model he'd owned before but had sold to get something else. You can deal with the itch by scratching or or ignoring it. As one who has been there before, scratching never made it better.