Gibson Brands Forums

Chambered Epi Les Paul Bodies

anfontan

I have a great 2004 Epi Les Paul Standard with the Plus Top, I tried out about a dozen Epi L.P. Standards before I played this one. It was nicely set-up and lighter than the other and it won me over.

I was wondering if the Epi Les Pauls were chambered from that era or solid bodies.

Any response is appreciated!!

EpiLesPaultop.jpg

Why is it that Epi don't chamber their LPs? Everyone knows they weigh more than an elephant, and Gibson chamber most of theirs. Why not Epi?

I had an 1999 Epiphone LP Custom and it was nowhere near as heavy as my 10.1 pounds 1992 Gibson LP Standard which is swiss cheese like weight relieved.

Based on that I don't think my previous Epi LP would have needed any holes in it to be lighther, something to do with the wood used I guess.

Thanks to all for the responses, I sent the same question to the Gibson.com site and I didn't get an answer, here is their response-Thank you for contacting Gibson Customer Service. The format of the serial number is consistent with an Epiphone solidbody electric guitar model built in China in 2004. Thanks.

I have a Gibson 'the Paul' that is a walnut bodied Les Paul from 1978 and the Epi is noticably lighter.

I'm very glad to get the answer-thank you so much......

And I too am an EpiFan !!!

Real LP's these days are EPI's [flapper]

I'm friendly with "Rusty" Les Paul Jr. He had told me that back in the day, the execs at the Epiphone factory gave his father the keys to the shop so he could "tinker" on the weekends when it was closed. AFAIC, an Epi Les Paul is every bit as real as a Gibson.

Archived