Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul & ES336

IanHenry

I read in another post somewhere on this forum (sorry can't remember where) that the difference between a ES336 and a ES339 was that the 339 was built like a ES335 using laminated timber (plywood) and the 336 was superficially identical, but it was carved from a solid piece of Mahogany with a Maple top applied.

If this is the case, then what is the real difference between a ES336 and a chambered Les Paul? To me there can't be that much difference can there? I ask the question because I rather fancy an arch top as opposed to another Les Paul for my next guitar.

Regards,

Ian.

I read in another post somewhere on this forum (sorry can't remember where) that the difference between a ES336 and a ES339 was that the 339 was built like a ES335 using laminated timber (plywood) and the 336 was superficially identical, but it was carved from a solid piece of Mahogany with a Maple top applied.

If this is the case, then what is the real difference between a ES336 and a chambered Les Paul? To me there can't be that much difference can there? I ask the question because I rather fancy an arch top as opposed to another Les Paul for my next guitar.

Regards,

Ian.

Hello, yes I think that was on the What one next or something like that post.

I had posted about the 336 as I really want one and was wondering why it was so much more expensive.

The 336 is built more like a Les Paul in the fact that the wood is a solid block hollowed out and the front has F holes put in.. So in that way yes its more like a Les Paul.. BUT is still a hollow body guitar. I guess reall the F holes and the double cut away is what really makes it different. Plus to me the finish and the neck were just far better than on almost any Les Paul ive played, but then these are done by the Custom Shop.

As suggested in the other thread.. the 336 is like a cross between a 339 and a Les Paul, and a 339 is more mellow and leans more towards the 335 sound (but as its smaller is not as fat soundwise).

For anyone considering an archtop...

The ES 335 is a bolder step away from a Les Paul than the other guitars mentioned...336, 339 etc

And the highly regarded ES 137 is worth a pluck...the 'Classic' model being remarkably 'Les Paul' like but with a more classic archtop feel and look about it...think ES 175 with rock capability....

V

:-({|=

Archived