Gibson Brands Forums

opinions wanted on the J45

passthej45

My brother in law came down to visit from Canada last month and got to play my J45 Standard, which started him cruising the net and keeping an eye on j45's . He sent me the link here, I thought the term "Early" was a bit odd. Did Gibson use this at the time(1997). Would welcome some opinions on the guitar, price, etc. thanks

http://www.folkwaymusic.com/vintage-instruments/gibson-guitars/gibson-early-j-45/

I thought the term "Early" was a bit odd. Did Gibson use this at the time(1997).

Yes.

Would welcome some opinions on the guitar, price, etc.

Folkway is outstanding, but you can expect to pay them top dollar. The price is fair enough, but you can get a late model J-45 for less if you're willing to accept the risks associated with buying through eBay or Craigslist rather than a well-established and trusted dealer.

-- Bob R

Folkway is a great store and they know their guitars.

They are 100% correct. In 1997 Gibson came out with the Early J-45. I believe they only used that moniker for maybe two years before going back to the simple J-45 designation.

Folkway is a great store and they know their guitars.

They are 100% correct. In 1997 Gibson came out with the Early J-45. I believe they only used that moniker for maybe two years before going back to the simple J-45 designation.

I played that J-45 at Folkways. The (orange) label does indeed say Early J-45. It has a much rounder thicker neck than current J-45's and

IMO sounds wonderful. Big full, warm ,loud,sound and more overtones than I'm use to for a Hog.

Archived