Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Studio vs Traditional

messican

Hey all! Got really hooked on the guitar and ready to get a nice LP. I saw the LP Traditional and really love the look of the worn brown. That said aside from the banding what are the differences between the Studio worn series and the Traditional? Is it really worth $1000 more? I have tried a studio and liked it a lot and i do plan on playing a traditional but would like some expert opinions. Thanks!!

Hey all! Got really hooked on the guitar and ready to get a nice LP. I saw the LP Traditional and really love the look of the worn brown. That said aside from the banding what are the differences between the Studio worn series and the Traditional? Is it really worth $1000 more? I have tried a studio and liked it a lot and i do plan on playing a traditional but would like some expert opinions. Thanks!!

The differences are:

# THICK Nitro gloss finish (not easy to damage)

# Binding (its expensive to cut & fit)

# Maple with possible flame top (if not a solid colour)

A Studio only has a thin covering of nitro and most worn brown's came with a mahogany top (tho for a time they did come with a plain maple top)

Not sure I can qualify as "expert" but my opnion is that it is worth the difference. Don't get me wrong, I think the Studios are a great guitar especially if you are trying to keep the cost down. The only reason I don't have one is the thicker 50s neck; I have tried and tried but just don't like that feel. The Traditional Mahagony has a slim 60s neck and comes with 57 classics and an incredible sound. I guess you just have go out and play them both to really decide.

Another option you may want to consider: Les Paul Studio 50s or 60s Tributes with P-90s. There is also a 50s Tribute with humbuckers. Not sure why there isn't a 60s with humbuckers though. But those three go $849. Again, a good option if you are trying to keep the cost down. I have the 60s with the P-90s and I just absolutely love it!

Thanks for the replies.

My biggest concern is getting the most out of what i buy. I love the look of the Traditional Mahogany. I probably will have the same issue with any Gibson since it will be my first high end guitar. I currently have a Riviera P93 so would like a LP with humbuckers. How similar in neck profiles between the 60's style neck and my Riviera?

My 2 cents would be if you have a chance, play them both side by side.

I was hell bent on getting a 68 reissue because I had a 69 custom back in the 80's and I loved how it felt. After contacting my local dealer I find out they are no longer available other than what I may find online. I prefer not to buy without tickling them first. I have to feel them. The dealer did however have a 58 reissue.

I was hell bent on the reissues because the new ones didn't appeal to me. Or so I thought. So I went in and tried the 58 reissue. It was $4000. I wasn't overly impressed because as Fretter said, the 50's necks are thicker. I didn't know that until I felt it. They also had a Traditional Mahogany on the wall, which again, as Fretter mentioned, has the 60s style neck. I frickin fell in love with the feel.

If I didn't just buy my J-45 I would have taken it home. Mmmmm,,, new les paul traditional,, or wife?? Is what I was thinking.

For now I'm still married. lol.

The Traditional is about 2000 cheaper and feels way better in my hands since that is the style of neck I was used to.

I have never plugged either in so I can't comment on the sound, but for me, with electrics, I am more interested in the feel of them. I can tweak the sounds with an amp or change pickups etc. Acoustics for me is the other way. I can adjust my playing if I like the sound, which is what I did with my J-45. Didn't love the feel but the sound blew me away.

For me with electrics, its all about feel. I bought a red Hamer I hated the color but loved how it felt. I have bought several guitars I didn't like the look of but loved how they felt.

Try them out side by each and decide for yourself. By the sound of your post you may have just started playing which makes you kinda lucky. You may not have any preconceived ideas of how a guitar should feel, in which case, go for the cheaper one.

Again, this is just my 2 cents. There are far more knowledgeable folks on this forum. I am no tech. I just know what I like.

It's all very personal.

Hello! The Traditional Mahogany is not only a great looking guitar, but - as far as the specs are concerned - it is the closest instrument to 50s Les Paul Customs than any other guitar in the Gibson USA product range. Early Customs didn't have maple caps. Definitely it would be my next guitar purchase if I could afford one. Cheers... Bence

The body of a studio is thinner than the Trad, as said studio's are chambered, where the Trad is weight relieved. Trad are 1 or 2 piece backs and studio could 3 or 4. The neck binding on the Trad is a very big plus no fret edges. the fit and finish is better too. But like any guitar it's how thye feel to you that counts.

Thank you for all the help guys! I went to the local Guitar Center and checked out the Traditional and liked it. They did not have many other LPs in that price range so I didn't have much to compare it to. For neck size reference i picked up an Epi Traditional Pro and it had a noticeably thicker neck which i liked, anyone know what style neck that one is? Could not find whether it was a 50's 60's etc.

Either way found out my wife bought me the Gibson Traditional in worn brown as a surprise so hopefully I will like it....which i don't see how I couldn't lol.

Archived