Gibson Brands Forums

ES 339 Pickups

bluesdj

Hi, my first post on here. I've just put a pair of Bare Knuckle Mississippi Queen's in my 2010 ES 339. I have a 335 with Classic '57's and

as a P.90 lover it seemed a good way to get different tones from my 339. The Mississippi Queen's are not a 'hot' pickup (both rated low '7's) but have a vintage tone like an old Gibson P90 from an ES 330. Perfect tone for a semi hollow guitar. Great mids and highs, but what I really like is there is no single coil noise whatsoever. As quiet as a humbucker. No feedback from my little Laney 5W Lionheart, perhaps I need to up the gain! The Bare Knuckles are also made here in Cornwall, England where I live.

Cheers. Mick.

That's a good way to go...and keep the pickups quiet. Do you get a blues tone out of the Bare Knuckle's? Mississippi Queen makes me think of Leslie West of course, and there is some distinct tone there!

How do you like your ES339?

I think they're fine guitars, I'd had an Ibanez AM back in the day and Gibson obviously took the body dimensions from that guitar. It seems to have been a success for them. A bargain compared to a 335. I find the P90's have a little more 'cut' than a humbucker which suits my playing.

Yes, plenty of blues tone there.

• 3 weeks later...

I have an Epiphone Es-339 that I bought to mess with before I got a Gibson one. I have been looking around at swapping the pickups, and met a guy who had P-90s. Although I am generally not a fan of them, I must admit, it sounded great. I can try and get a recording of it from him.

Hi, my first post on here. I've just put a pair of Bare Knuckle Mississippi Queen's in my 2010 ES 339. I have a 335 with Classic '57's and

as a P.90 lover it seemed a good way to get different tones from my 339. The Mississippi Queen's are not a 'hot' pickup (both rated low '7's) but have a vintage tone like an old Gibson P90 from an ES 330. Perfect tone for a semi hollow guitar. Great mids and highs, but what I really like is there is no single coil noise whatsoever. As quiet as a humbucker. No feedback from my little Laney 5W Lionheart, perhaps I need to up the gain! The Bare Knuckles are also made here in Cornwall, England where I live.

Cheers. Mick.

Sounds excellent !

Are the MQ's RW/RP by any chance?

I had some excellent response from their customer service a while back with a similar enquiry...

V

:-({|=

Archived