Gibson Brands Forums

I Won The First Round In Battle Of The Blues!

Tman5293

So the competition tonight went very well. I took one of the two winning positions in the preliminaries. I will be competing in the store finals on June 5.

There were 8 other guitarists there, some of which were very talented, and others that were quite the opposite. Everything from guys my age to guys in their 50s/60s.

Here is the footage of my performance. I apologize for the terrible audio quality. My dad is the one holding the camera (which is really just my Asus Transformer Prime (Android tablet)) and he was too close to the stage and the tiny mic in my tablet was severely overwhelmed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePKTNV1rNIg

msp_cool.gif

You play some good blues nice feel and timing,congrats on getting to the next round.Did they give you a choice of the amps in front of the counter.It looks like there were enough types to cover any style.Cant wait to see you in the files,Remember the honor off forum is in your hands.(no pressure)

Nicely done, congratulations! So for the next round, do you pick a different backing track, use the same one, or is either an option? How many players will be in that round, 8 again? (If so and they chose 2 from eeach, I'd guess there were 4 rounds like this one?).

Lastly, that was a Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue you played through, yes? (that model has been getting a bit of a slogging around here lately, and it's been sort of bugging me, as I have one and think they sound great, though most said it gets muddy at louder volumes and I've not cranked mine that much to have formed an opinion, I need to change that). Sounded good here. What was the volume set at?

Really nice job! Wow. Some were in their 50's and 60's?!?! Did they need help off the stage? [glare]

Be sure and post video of your finals performance!

Easy junior... <_< have you read the "Age" thread recently? A good number of us are in that bracket. And I doubt they needed help, a guitar can work well as a cane... or a club. [wink] :lol:

Thanks guys! msp_thumbup.gifmsp_thumbup.gifmsp_thumbup.gif

You play some good blues nice feel and timing,congrats on getting to the next round.Did they give you a choice of the amps in front of the counter.It looks like there were enough types to cover any style.Cant wait to see you in the files,Remember the honor off forum is in your hands.(no pressure)

Yes, we got to choose which amp we wanted to play through.

Nicely done, congratulations! So for the next round, do you pick a different backing track, use the same one, or is either an option? How many players will be in that round, 8 again? (If so and they chose 2 from eeach, I'd guess there were 4 rounds like this one?).

Lastly, that was a Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue you played through, yes? (that model has been getting a bit of a slogging around here lately, and it's been sort of bugging me, as I have one and think they sound great, though most said it gets muddy at louder volumes and I've not cranked mine that much to have formed an opinion, I need to change that). Sounded good here. What was the volume set at?

Lots of questions.......here are the answers:

1. I'm going to be playing to a different backing track next time, although they didn't say anything about it.

2. There will be 6 players competing in the finals and 2 of them will move on to regional.

3. I was playing through a Twin Reverb 65 Reissue and the volume was set at 4.

Easy junior... <_< have you read the "Age" thread recently? A good number of us are in that bracket. And I doubt they needed help, a guitar can work well as a cane... or a club. [wink] :lol:

Do you not recognize sarcasm? [unsure] I am in that bracket [wink]

Do you not recognize sarcasm? [unsure] I am in that bracket [wink]

All good man. sarcasm was my intent as well (note the emoticons). Sometimes, I guess it just doesn't read like intended.

TMan, best of luck in the next round, we're rooting for you!

So the competition tonight went very well...

I watched the video last week and have to say I was impressed. I knew you had the chops, but this seriously impressed me. People don't realize how hard it is to get up there cold and smoke 'em. Love the SG too.

Now keep practicing or you'll end up an old hack like me ;)

Best of luck with the next round.

I watched the video last week and have to say I was impressed. I knew you had the chops, but this seriously impressed me. People don't realize how hard it is to get up there cold and smoke 'em. Love the SG too.

Now keep practicing or you'll end up an old hack like me ;)

Best of luck with the next round.

I don't know about him, but I've always found it difficult to play to a backing track. I give him extra thumbs up for doing that and getting up there by himself. I can't do that. I need other musicians. Cause' that's what it is all about for me! Having fun with the rest of my band. And I would never want to be in a group where the rest of them served me. I like to be a part of a unit, like Alex Lifeson and Andy Summers, for example. They're not guitar "big shots". They serve their fellow musicians well.

I'm not a sideman/ensemble player, either. Nor just a "rhythm" guy, like Townshend and Keef. I'm sorta a gunslinger. Not in the Joe Satriani/Steve Vai manner, more in the Michael Schenker/George Lynch/Brian Robertson manner, to where it's not just about them. Not implying that I can play like those guys. They're all greats, and I certainly look up to them.

Archived