Gibson Brands Forums

thru or set neck

alfunkz

Depends what era.

There were a couple of Epiphone Firebirds from the mid-1980s that were through-neck (just like a Gibson Firebird). I think these were badged as Epiphone Firebird 500s? I played one in a used music store a few years ago. Excellent guitar. Wish I'd bought it.

Avoid the mid-1990s bolt-on Epiphone Firebirds like the plague. Because they're total and utter crap.

The modern stuff (post-2000 onwards) all seems to be set-neck. How Firebird-like these really are is debatable in my mind. The Firebird Studio, in particular, I just regard as a funny-shaped SG. (Full humbuckers, set neck).

The Gibson Firebird has a unique tone (I've heard it described by real Firebird aficionados as being almost "piano-like"). I've never found a modern Epi Firebird that really comes close, so I've come to the conclusion that a through-neck is the vital feature of a Firebird. Of course, if you just want a nice, Firebird shaped guitar, then a set-neck Epi would seem like a good choice.

But if I ever come across a used Gibson Firebird in good shape, and I have the $$ in my pocket, that's what I'd buy.

You forgot to mention it on the wiki.... [-(

Its there. Its just that the body & neck description are combined. I should separate them like the rest of the entries. Its an old entry that I must have overlooked when I was doing spec detailing.

It reads:

Laminated Mahogany neck-through-body

It should read:

- Laminated mahogany body

- Neck-thru construction

I'll have to fix it.

ok so mines a 2011, that makes it a studio, but the twist is its a custom shop limited edition, whats the difference if there is any? It just seems theres not enough info out there on them, i read your wiki it doesnt seem to be on there either

Pete is right for the most part. The "Custom Shop" label might have to do with a limited edition color, hardware color or clearcoat finish, like a matte instead of gloss. Sometimes a combination of those things. I usually leave details like that out of the wiki.

2012-05-15165741.jpg

The difference i have noticed is the banjo tuners on my FB have a Tbar affair on the front rather than the domed ones so that might be it hell i dont care i love it, the mojo this thing has is awesome

Yes. Sometimes it will be something like that. Even the color could have been a limited edition, as Epiphone lists Worn Cherry as the only color available at the the end of the run and has the normal banjo tuners. Production ended in 2011, so I think you may have your answer.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived