Gibson Brands Forums

Something on ZW´s question about the 30´s SJ 200 Bracing.

JuanCarlosVejar

ZW,

I sent an email to Fuller´s and they Contacted Don Ruffato here I asked :

how accurate are the reissues on the inside of the guitar ??

speaking to some guys on the gibson acoustic forum

I learned that the original 30´s SJ 200 had a shallower body depth

and a second X brace above the soundhole ...

here is the response from Don to Jeremy :

Jeremy,

We did much research and found that there were indeed guitars built to these specs. That is not to say there were others that had the below mentioned variations.

so I guess there will not be any shallow body depth or second X brace.

JC

• 2 weeks later...

ZW,

I sent an email to Fuller´s and they Contacted Don Ruffato here I asked :

how accurate are the reissues on the inside of the guitar ??

speaking to some guys on the gibson acoustic forum

I learned that the original 30´s SJ 200 had a shallower body depth

and a second X brace above the soundhole ...

here is the response from Don to Jeremy :

Jeremy,

Thats how "Historic" they get..they can not bring themselves to make an exact replica.. that is not to say it is presently the best they have to offer and as good.

I worked near 48th Street in NY from 1980-2006 and I was wandering around in there every week.

I got a reissue 59' Les Paul in 82-84' I think..it was a batch of 12 that was initially made..I got # 011. It cost a lot for its day..It looked great but was not really great..thick Poly Finish..pickups not exact..Sounded average. I kept & wasted my time on it for at least a decade.Never really got better.

In 1992-3 the first & only Historic Les Paul on 48th Street (Mannys) at the time..It cost $4005. A whopping amount 20 years ago. As a comparison, there was a new Historic L5CES 58' about that time at Mannys which was selling for $2795.

That LP was as light as a feather & resonant (my brother inlaw has it now as I didnt use it and I needed money to buy first house)

Still..Not exact pickups..no long tenon..no Brazilian fingerboard..no Bumble Bee Caps..no aluminum tail piece/..

The new ones..none of the wood is the same as the originals..they've slimmed dow the 59" neck ..What kind od Historic Reissue is that? But they are very good & am glad I have a couple .

Concerning the guitar your getting though not an exact replica I think it will be the best they are producing today.

I hope one ends up at Mandolin Brothers so i can try it.

We did much research and found that there were indeed guitars built to these specs. That is not to say there were others that had the below mentioned variations.

so I guess there will not be any shallow body depth or second X brace.

JC

Archived