Gibson Brands Forums

SG Classic pickguard to a SG Special Faded?

EADGBE

In the current band the other guitar is a Les Paul so with a humbucking SG we sound too full and muddy together. I've been thinking about p-90's but the phat cats or p-94's looks just don't do it. So I might do a bit of routing to make my SG faded a real p90 guitar. It's heavily modded (neck reshaped, lacquered etc.) already and very much loved so I won't sell it nor I want to buy more guitars. So do the screws & bridge holes of a Classic pickguard fit to a SG Special Faded?

So do the screws & bridge holes of a Classic pickguard fit to a SG Special Faded?

Fwiw - I had an '07 SG Classic, and still have an '02 SG Faded. The pickguard on the Classic sat just a little bit lower on the body, but I believe the placement of the screw mounting holes through the pickguard were the same.

Before you go swapping pickups/pickguards how about trying to swap out the 203 ceramic capacitor? I think it's value is .022? (correct me if I'm wrong please). I put a .01 uF metalized film capacitor in my epiphone Dot and that cleared up the sound quite a bit. Also, try lowering the bass side of your pickups. Anything is worth a try before spending money on pickups.

Another trick that I do to clean my sound is to dial in all my setting for a clean rhythm pickup sound. The treble may be a bit snappy but I can alway roll back the tone to 7 or 8.

Not sure what style or material you perform but I play anything from the modern style rock to rockabilly and it works in both scenarios. Oh, maybe a 10 band eq??? Ebay seems to be full of them, that's where I got mine which is a rack mount 15 band that works very nice. Think I paid 50 + shipping for it.

Just some suggestions, thought maybe I could help.

Archived